It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-09-2005, 09:49 AM   #1
(female)

sulery HB User
Exclamation What are some good foods to eat? HELP!

I'm 24 years old and after two children..I'm at this huge milestone in my life where I realize, I'm fat. I need to start doing something about it so I don't end up like a big lump. I'm so unhappy with my apperance and I've TRIED to do something about it.

I layed off sodas, went to diet coke. Now I drink water and have one diet coke per day with dinner. Today I'm cutting out cokes totally. I try to eat fat free yougurt at lunch time. And those healthy choice dinners most of the time for lunch. Breakfast I've been eating a blueberry muffin, which I know I need to cut out and start eating something better. But I find myself doing the stupidest things I feel like I can't control. I started eating granola bars for lunch. Only I buy the choclate chip fudge dipped granola bars, like that's going to do me a bit of good. THen I end up eating 2 of them before I even leave work and two more when I get home. Then I"ll end up going... "Well... I'll just eat fast food tonight and I'll start doing better tomorrow". Tomorrow comes and its the same thing. I started out good yesterday, but buy the end of the night I was cramming MandMs in my mouth, cookies, ice cream... anything.

I don't know what to do anymore. I literally tell myself I know this is hard... I know I have to do better and I will feel better.

I don't know what I should be eating. I have such a small food list I'll even eat. I'll eat chicken. I hate every veggie but corn and potatoes. Salads literally make me gag.... What am I supposed to do? I walk on my lunch now to get exercise. But I don't know what else to do. HELP!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-09-2005, 10:11 AM   #2
(male)

Dexter77 HB User
Re: What are some good foods to eat? HELP!

Hi,

if you want to lose weight you first need motivation which helps you overcome all difficulties. Do you really want to lose weight and tone up? If yes, go ahead, and do whatever you have to do: eat clean and healthy, and exercise regularly.

Eating clean - in your diet emphasize wholesome foods because they are much healthier, lower in fats, salts, sugars, additives, etc. than processed foods. Eat lean protein (chicken breast, turkey, lean beef, fish and seafood, low-fat cottage cheese and egg whites), complex carbs (potato, vegetables, brown rice, oatmeal), and healthy fats (put some flaxseed/olive oil onto your meals). Have 6-8 smaller portions of meals/day instead of the usual three plus snacking. Each meal will give a boost to your metabolism, and you will not feel hungry, so you will be less tempted to eat unhealthy foods. Consume less carbs in the evening when your energy needs are lower than, for instance, in the morning.

Exercising regularly - join a gym and go there three times a week. Combine cardio (e.g., running, bike, etc.) with some weight training. Try to increase your cardio time to 30 minutes but it may be very challenging in the beginning. Don't give it up, you will be able to do much more a few weeks later! While cardio helps you burn bodyfat, weight training helps you tone up. Start with the weights, so your metabolism is already up when you start cardio. Also train your abs every time you are in the gym. Later you can increase your training days to 4 or 5. After your workout, have a whey protein shake with a banana or dextrose tablets.

Old 06-09-2005, 05:28 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

campingirl72 HB User

sulery ~ you sound just like me ~ I can totally relate ~ every day I would have the best intentions to eat well, every day I was going to eat well ~ and then like you I felt out of control ~ I'd eat a bag of m&ms and then figure I blew it for the day, so I'd eat fast food for dinner and plan to start good eating in the morning, exactly like you ~ I finally am sticking to it now ~ I read a good article in a magazine that you should try to eat 5 - 6 small meals per day ~ at each small meal eat a protein (meat, chicken, fish, cottage cheese, couple pieces of cheese, eggs, nuts, sunflower seeds) and a fruit or veggie ~ I'm sure there are many people that will disagree with me, but I think this is a very healthy way to eat ~ I've read a lot about eating like a caveman, lol ~ before there was fast food and even boxed food and canned food, packaged, etc ~ try to eat whole foods, the way they were grown, not all processed with junk added ~ protein and fruits and veggies ~ I'm finding this very easy to stick to ~ past diets I dont think I got enough protein and I was always hungry ~ past diets I'd eat Cheerios for breakfast, salads (with no chicken) for lunch, fruit for snacks ~ I couldnt stick to it, I was always starving and tired ~ with the protein at every meal I dont feel tired and hungry anymore ~
9:00 for breakfast I've been eating 2 eggs, most days I add a little chopped onion, green pepper and tomato (but you dont have to) and a small glass of oj ~
12:00 for lunch I've been eating about half cup cottage cheese and half cuccumber (you could eat a piece of fruit instead since you dont like veggies ~ the more veggies you can eat the better, but if you cant stand eating them, you have to find something healthy you do like to eat so you can eat that way for life)
3:00 snack I've been eating a piece or handful of fruit and some sunflower seeds or couple pieces of cheese
6:00 dinner I've been grilling something most nights, steak, pork chops, lean hamburger, chicken breasts, or popping a roast in the crock pot and a veggie like broccoli, green beans, peas, asparagus ~
I'm sure not everyone would agree with all these choices, but they are foods that I actually like, if I didnt I wouldnt be able to stick with it for long ~ this is much much healthier than I used to be eating ~ and I dont think you have to eat perfect all the time ~ once a week I make spaghetti cuz my daugher loves it ~ but I just use lean hamburger, you can even make your own sauce if you want with fresh veggies so it doesnt have all the added junk that canned sauce does ~ and you can use whole wheat noodles ~
sorry this is so long ~ I just know exactly how you feel, how hard it is to stick to healthy eating ~ try writing a list of all the healthy foods you like ~ a list of the proteins you like and a list of the fruits and veggies you like and eat one of those at each meal 5 or 6 times/day ~ it works for me ~ good luck!!!

I think this way of eating is much healthier for my kids too ~ they dont need all that extra processed junk ~

Old 06-10-2005, 11:29 AM   #4
(female)

jtb HB User

Hi, I am new here.
First of all, you have to examine why you want to lose weight. the desire to lose weight has to be stronger than the desire to eat the junk. If you are struggling with that, then maybe you can get a sponsor. Ask some people who care about you to sponsor you with money. They can pledge $0.25 to $1 or more per lb. You would need to set a date at which time you would weigh in to see how much they owe. this would be wardrobe money, because you WILL need new clothes.

I lost 57 lbs a few years ago by following some simple rules.
1. no soda, it's poison, not just the sugar is bad, the carbonated water is bad too
2. no sugary foods, after a couple of weeks I didn't even crave it any more. I still had my cup of coffee with coffee mate creamer, but no deserts, or sugary drinks
3. no seconds, this doesn't mean eat two servings at first, so you don't need to go back, eat a sensible amount of whatever your eating, which should consist of whole grains and fresh veggies
4. no snacks, now i feel a healthy snack is good to keep you from feeling overly hungry, feeling the need to over eat at your meals

Basically, I ate cheerios for breakfast. banana, not a whole big one, a half or a very small one, or blueberries are good in it. I ate a sandwich for lunch on whole wheat bread, no chips on the side. I ate smart food, like whole grains, fresh veggies and fruit, lean meat, small amounts of cheese, low fat dairy products.

If you need other snacks, lf popcorn is a good choice, lf yogurt, fruit, veggies, nuts, fruits and nuts go well together.

I found that if I exercised too much, I needed to eat more and had a harder time losing weight and even gained. Moderate exercise is appropriate, everyone should find their own personal amount that their body needs, with balance.

Now, i have been in 2 car accidents and then fell, so with all of my injuries, and meds, i have gained 80 lbs! After the first accident, i gained 20 lbs and lost it using ww. after the second accident i never had a chance to lose the weight yet when i fell and so i have compound weight gain. I a now getting to the place where I can lose weight again. I intend on using the principles of my first plan and incorporate what i learned from ww. I can't walk much yet, but i do my pt exercised for my back.

Old 06-10-2005, 11:38 AM   #5
(female)

jtb HB User

oh ya, and lots of water throughout the day. Also, eat slow and taste and enjoy your food. After you take a bite, put down your fork, chew, breathe, swallow, breathe, take a drink of water, talk with your table mates if there are any. every bite should look like this, when you are done eating, you will feel satisfied.

Old 06-10-2005, 11:49 AM   #6
(female)

missmanda05 HB User
Exclamation Re: What are some good foods to eat? HELP!

hello, I understand you guys this is hard hard work its not fun....But I think with each others support we can help eachother. I love to eat and sometimes that over comes my ability to stay away from bad things.....Like today I ordered a grill chicken sub with tomatoe,lett and onions with a side of olive oil n vinegar......Well after I got to work I had my lunch break I opened my sandwhich and there it was CHEESE ....They messed it up and put some kinda cheese on it and a lil mayo I think. Well I didnt have time to go back and get the right thing so...I ate it it was great but now I feel awful about it I been doing so well. Now I have this on my mind and know that I will be tempted to eat like this again cause I tasted temptation.... What can I do to keep on track and keep moving on because I want to eat and be healthy so badly....I understand guys I know its tough!!

Take care everyone...

Remember mind over matter

Old 06-10-2005, 11:59 AM   #7
(female)

jtb HB User

One of the worst things you can do is let this bring you down. Just forget about it and let the way you feel remind you next time NOT to give in to temptation rather than "oh well, I already messed up, i might as well eat this too". You CAN do it!

Old 06-10-2005, 12:18 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

campingirl72 HB User

missmanda ~ I know exactly how you feel & its easy for me to say just dont worry about the sandwich, but try not to, the cheese and mayo are probably just a few extra calories ~ maybe just eat a little bit less for dinner or skip a snack ~ try not too worry about it and dont let it mess up all the good eating youve done ~ you dont have to be perfect all the time to lose weight ~ i think if we do slip up once in awhile we should try to just get right back on track of good eating, not thinking we blew it so we might as well keep pigging out I know how hard it can be though, that's happened to me so many times ~ good luck!!! I'm going through the same stuff as you if it helps

Old 06-13-2005, 05:06 AM   #9
(female)

sulery HB User

Thanks for all your advice. I actually went to the grocery store this weekend and bought fruits, yougart, and good stuff and did pretty decently this weekend. I'm hoping the week goes good too!

Closed Thread