It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-29-2005, 11:57 AM   #1
Inactive
(female)

Momx2in04 HB User
Has anyone tried phentermine?

If so, what were your results, or experience? Does it have to be combined with strict diet and exercise to work? Any bad side effects? Did it WORK?
TIA!!
Maggie

Old 06-29-2005, 02:22 PM   #2

depressed in MN HB User
Re: Has anyone tried phentermine?

I was on the Phen-fen combo many years ago, and it worked GREAT. I would forget to eat and the weight just fell off. However, It made me talk a million miles an hour ( not sure if I ever shut up!! LOL ) and I was an emotional wreck! I would cry at the drop of a hat! ( I mean, if I rode my horse and she wasn't very good, i'd start crying! ).

Several years ago I tired the phentermine for a bit. It still made me very moody, and alone it didn't really do too much.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-29-2005, 02:31 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

campingirl72 HB User

I agree with everything depressed said, (and HI I'm in MN too!!!)

I took fen/phen combo almost 9 years ago and it worked great!! I too forgot to eat and I usually never stop thinking about eating! on the phen/fen it would be night time and I would realize I hadnt had anything to eat yet that day and I wasnt hungry! I'm usually always hungry ~ so the phen/fen worked great!!! I lost a ton of weight easily!
I just tried taking phentermine alone with a prescription from my doctor and the only thing it seemed to do was make me very crabby!!!
I'm pretty sure phentermine is the main thing that was in Dexatrim and I tried that many many years ago (before phen/fen) and that didnt work for me either ~ and I remember hearing when phen/fen came out that it was the combo of both drugs that made it work so well (too bad we cant get it anymore)

Old 06-29-2005, 02:59 PM   #4

depressed in MN HB User

Where abouts in Mn are you? I'm north of the Twin Cities about an hour, and actually work in the cities.

I really SHOULD change my screen name. I joined several years ago when I was with a JERK of a BF. My new honey is one of those guys that seems SO nice, you just HAVE to be missing something!! LOL ! even though he's deployed, i'm STILL 100 times happier than I was with #%#$%@!

The Dr that had first put me on Phen-Fen tried the Fenfluramine ( pondimen)alone at first, saying most of the time both are not needed. The first night, I couldn't sleep for nothing! even taking it at about 7am ( and only 1 for the whole day ), I'd be laying in bed at 3:30am, twiddling my thumbs and giving ANYTHING to fall asleep! then, about 3 days later, I couldn't even keep my EYES open at work! I then went back, and he added the Phentermine.

the no sleep thing for the first night would ALWAYS happen if I stopped for a bit, and started back up. It drove me crazy!! LOL

but, as you said, I would forget to eat. it was GREAT! i have a huge sweet tooth, you could have handed me my favorite candy bar, and I would have passed on it! All in all, I started in June at about 165, was gown to 135 be the first of Sept, then quit for a bit. Went back on it, and lost an additional 10 lbs and ended up 4 sizes smaller in my jeans! without any additional exercise.

I was just reminded how thin I had gotten back then just a week ago. I was showing my horse, and was struggling to get the first belt hole hooked. ( yeah, i know, buy a bigger belt! ) I look down, and see about 4" over, was a hole i had made to use when I got way down there! talk about depressing!!! LOL

I did gain it all back over the years, but am now back down to about 145. I'd like to lose about 10 more before BF comes home for his 2 week leave in august. I just started taking "Hoodia" and i'm amazed at how well it takes away my appetite!

Old 06-29-2005, 07:06 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

campingirl72 HB User

I'm in the southwest suburbs of the cities ~ I go up north camping a lot, I would love to live north of the cities someday
I totally understand the jerk ex thing! I'm divorced and he was major jerk too! lol ~
my boyfriend now is a sweetie too ~ I'm glad we both got out of bad relationships and found good guys
I couldnt sleep on the phentermine alone either ~ I ended up having to take tylenol pm (with a sleep aid) to get any sleep at night ~
thats great that the Hoodia is working to suppress your appetite!!! I've been reading a little bit about it and I really want to try it ~ its pretty expensive isnt it? where did you get it? did you order it online or can you get it in a store?

Old 06-30-2005, 09:08 AM   #6

depressed in MN HB User

I ordered some Hoodia online, one of the sites that came up, rated the different brands, I ended up ordering "Hoodoba". I happened to run into some at Walgreens as well. It also said "pure african hoodia" ( from what I read, you must get the pure stuff ). That is 400mg, bottle of 60 was $39.99. ( about the same as the stuff i ordered online.

I have noticed, I get much better results if I take 2 in the AM, then 2 more in the late afternoon. There is another brand that has 750 MG tablets that was rated very good that I think I would order next time. ( same price, but will go slower if i'm taking 4 per day )

Old 06-30-2005, 10:06 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

campingirl72 HB User

thank you SO much for the info about Hoodia!!! I'm going to look at Walgreens to see if I can find the Hoodoba ~ the other stuff people were talking about sounded a lot cheaper (like $20 instead of $40) and sounds like they were taking a lot less than you (like 400 mg instead of 800mg twice a day) so maybe that is why it is working well for you and not others ~
thanks so much!!!

Old 06-30-2005, 10:29 AM   #8

depressed in MN HB User

You can buy any brand, but you just need to make sure it is gaurenteed PURE AFRICAN HOODIA GORDONII"

the ones i bought at Walgreeens is " Hoodia Supreme".

Some of the websites has said you need more than the 400mg for it to do much. some bottles of 750mg, say to take 2. some 400mg ones say take one.. so, I figured I'd try 2 of the 400mg.

From a site:

As you can see above in the hoodia comparison, we compared only three top brands yet the total intake of hoodia varies between 1200mg to 4500mg per day.

Old 06-30-2005, 10:41 AM   #9
Veteran
(female)

campingirl72 HB User

okay thanks

the Hoodia Supreme from Walmart worked well for supressing your appetite too?

Old 06-30-2005, 10:43 AM   #10

depressed in MN HB User

Yes, the Hoodoba I ordered online just came in the mail. I started on the Supreme, so thought i'd finish up this one before opening the stuff i ordered on the internet.

If I ordered again, I would go with the one that is highly rated, that's 750 mg. Will be cheaper.

If you google it, you'll find comparison charts and ratings of many brands

Old 06-30-2005, 10:47 AM   #11
Veteran
(female)

campingirl72 HB User

oh okay, I thought you had tried the Hoodoba first ~

I'm gonna google it now, thanks

Old 06-30-2005, 11:19 AM   #12
Veteran
(female)

campingirl72 HB User

MN, how long did it take you to get your Hoodoba in the mail??? I'm wondering if I ordered it now when I would get it

Old 06-30-2005, 11:57 AM   #13

depressed in MN HB User

It took about a week.

I'm not sure about the other brand, with the 750mg.

Old 06-30-2005, 12:18 PM   #14
Veteran
(female)

campingirl72 HB User

okay thanks so much for all your help and info!!!

I ordered the Hoodoba too, going up north camping this weekend so hopefully will get it sometime next week and can start it ~ let me know if that seems to work as well for you as the Supreme and I'll let you know how it works for me

Old 07-01-2005, 10:26 AM   #15
Inactive
(female)

Momx2in04 HB User

Hey all thanks for the info. I think I'll at least give the phen a try...I'm at 176 right now and want to get down to 140 short-term, and back to the 120s long-term. I just need a quick jump-start for motivation!
About Hoodia - I researched this thoroughly not long ago, maybe 2 months ago, and found out that pure hoodia is not being exported yet. Anything that says it has hoodia in it has a trace amount of extract, but nothing in the US contains pure hoodia, especially in large doses. It is apparently quite difficult to grow and harvest the plant, and they take a while to mature, and there is not enough of it currently for it to be possible for so many brands to sell it in large quantities. The articles I read said it would take years to produce enough of the plant to make it possible to sell hoodia in its pure form on the level that would be needed to sustain even just the US's demand. Things may have changed in a couple of months, but from what I read, many boast to be selling hoodia, but few actually are.
That said, if you're taking something that says it's hoodia and it's working, then all the better! And tell me exactly what it is and where to get it! LOL
So, anyone else taken just phentermine and had good results?

Closed Thread