It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-16-2005, 10:25 AM   #1
(female)

alouette9 HB User
Yo Yo dieter with family-help

I have been a yo yo dieter all my life. I have been on WW so many times that I could have stock in the company. Don't get me wrong..its a good nutritious plan, but I'm having a hard time following due my homelife. Here are my issues (excuses if you will.) I need some advice about how to change our lifestyle all together. I have plenty of low fat recipes...but my kids won't eat them.

1. My kids don't like anything. They eat chicken, pizza and burgers or fast or fatty foods. They don't like much for veggies and the veggies one kid likes, the other one doesn't.
2. I'm so bored of what we eat.
3. I don't have time to make two meals each night. I work a ft job and two pt jobs. Half the time I barely get dinner on the table by 7pm.
4. Every time I try to buy good food like veggies and fruit, they goes bad before I can eat it.
5. I am a chocoholic
6. I am a night eater (8pm-10pm)
7. I am an emotional eater (whether I'm happy or sad I turn to food.)
8. I don't have a ton of cash for the pricier health foods.

Anyone have any lifestyle plans that may work for me? Thanks.

Old 08-16-2005, 11:59 AM   #2
(female)

Acemartini HB User
Re: Yo Yo dieter with family-help

1. my motto - you eat what I fix or go hungry. I do not & will not make 2 separate meals.
My normal family dinner -
chicken
vegetable + fruit in the summer
salad
side dish - pasta, rice, potatoe
I eat everything but the side dish. My husband will eat anything I cook (he knows better). The kids eat what I prepare, but there are times when I think they will starve to death. However, they are never consistent on what they don't eat - guess it depends on their mood. I used to prepare special meals for my youngest (Dr's orders because she was underweight). But I have not done that since she was about 1 1/2.
2. mix it up. Try different recipes, spices, etc. I find myself getting into a rut with cooking, but for me the easier the better.
3. don't make 2 meals
4. plan your day to specifically eat that piece of fruit as a snack. Also, don't over buy. I have learned to buy only 2 peaches & 2 nectarines a week. Any more & it will go to waste. I love my melons though - I buy 3-4 each week & eat it daily. yum yum!
I plan all my meals ahead of time, so I plan in the "good" stuff every day.
5. me too - sorry I can't help you on this one! Except, GET IT OUT OF THE HOUSE!!
6. If you have dinner around 7pm each night, you should not be hungry between 8-10pm. If you are eating, it is probably because you are bored. Find something to do instead. Also, don't keep the munchies around if that is your thing.
7. Sorry, once again I cannot help!
8. you don't need tons of cash (although it does help!). I only buy fresh fruit & veg when they are on sale. Just got some fresh broccoli for .99. You don't need to buy "health foods" in order to lose weight & be healthy.

In case you are interested - here is my day today -
1c milk with protein powder - after exercising (I decided I needed more protein in my life)
breakfast - smoothie (yoplait) & 1 pk cinn & apple oatmeal
coffee with cream & sugar
snack - 1 1/2 cups melon (today is honeydew)
lunch - bologna & cheese sandwich (toasted) & a peach
snack - more coffee. OK, not really a snack but I have not been hungry in the afternoon lately.
dinner - 4 oz pork chop (grilled), veggies (about 1/2 c) & salad with low fat dressing (there are quite a few good ones out there now)

Hope this helps

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-16-2005, 12:30 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

StenoLady1 HB UserStenoLady1 HB User
Re: Yo Yo dieter with family-help

Hi, Alouette

I'll take a stab at your list...and I don't think they're excuses at all. You sound like a busy woman who's trying to juggle a job & kids and do the best she can for both.

1. I hate to show my age here, but when I was a child, I had to eat the good, healthy, nutricious food my mother (single mom who worked her butt off) put on my plate, or I went to bed hungry. Sorry to be blunt, but do you want your kids to be battling with a weight problem (or other health problems related to junk foods) all of their lives? I wish I had never deviated from my mom's cooking after I left home and started eating junky foods.

2. I was bored of my menu, too. Hit the web for new recipes. I'd be happy to share some good ones I've found with you, and I'm sure others on this board would, too.

3. You shouldn't have to make two meals for dinner. If it's a meal with too many cals or fat for you, take a smaller portion and grab one of those fruits before it goes bad. Otherwise, make a healthy dinner and see No. 1

4. Try thinking outside of the box with fruits and veggies. Make a bread with a vegetable or a fruit over the weekend (zucchini bread is out of this world). Most recipes out there will make two breads in one shot. Freeze one for eating later in the week. Try some berries over frozen yogurt with a *touch* of fat-free chocolate syrup. Dunk peices of an apple in some low-fat flavored yogurt. The Mediterraneans have really done wonders with fruits and veggies in their recipes. WW has an Italian cookbook I would highly recommend with all sorts of ways to include fruits & veggies in your diet in new ways.

5. There are many recipes out there for chocoholics. I've found a fat-free brownie recipe that's fantastic made with applesauce instead of oil. ButterBusters has some good recipes for chocoholics.

6. Your schedule sounds hectic, but I'm a nighttime eater, too. I find if I get 20 minutes of cardio (just a quick walk) in after dinner and cleanup, I'm not hungry during the 8:30 to 11:00 p.m. munchie attack period.

7. Here's where those fruits and veggies come into play. Grab an apple or a handful of berries or cherries if you just can't stand it. A large glass of water or an herbal tea can help you feel full, too. I make jugs of iced herbal teas during the summer months.

8. I don't think you need to buy "health foods", just "healthier foods". How much is a couple pizzas for you and your kids delivered to your door? With a tip, 15 bucks? How about a wheat Boboli, low-fat cheese, veggies, ground turkey or turkey sausage chunks, a side salad and the company of your kids helping to make it? All of that might cost $15, but now you'll have leftover veggies and probably some meat for the next day's meal, too. The first thing I noticed when I stopped eating processed foods was how much money I was saving at the store. I do not shop at a health food store, either, ever.

Good luck to you!

Lysne

Closed Thread