It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-06-2005, 05:54 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

ebaxter21 HB User
Question Diet Pills?

I was wondering what people out there have taken to help them lose weight. Of course I mean safe ones. I have been looking for one, but I would like other people's feedback on what worked for them best, and what is even out there. What worked the best for you? Did any make you feel sick??

Thanks!!
Erin

Last edited by ebaxter21; 09-06-2005 at 05:55 PM.

Old 09-07-2005, 06:46 AM   #2
(female)

gingerweezie HB User
Re: Diet Pills?

I had success on a pill called ADIPEX, generic name PHENTERMINE. (I think that's how that's spelled.) Just be careful, there is always the chance of gaining back some weight when you stop taking the pills. MEDIDIA works well for awhile but I think your body get's used to it and if you don't increase the dose it "stops" working as well. I don't know how many doses there are to be able to increase to. Also, I seem to remember MERIDIA giving me headaches. I really liked the ADIPEX the best! Talk to your doctor. Good luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-07-2005, 11:38 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

Luxuria HB User

Lipotrexate worked best for me when I used it. No "sick" feelings either. Trimspa is ok, but not that great. I wouldn't waste my money on it again.

Old 09-14-2005, 10:29 AM   #4
(female)

Me4sweetd HB User

I feel that diet pills should not be use unless you hit a brick wall with dieting. Last year when I was dieting I dropped 60lbs and my body started to adapt to living off of the food I was giving it. I didn't want to decrease my intake any more because I felt that it would put my body into starvation mode and I would hurt my body rather than help it. I took Phentermine for 3 months to help me lose the extra pounds I wanted. I would strongly suggest that you don't take prescription diet pills at the beginning of the diet because you might need that extra boost in the middle when regular dieting starts to fail you. If you do decide to start dieting with the pills before that time, you might find yourself at a brick wall with no way around because your body is now use to the extra boost of the pill. I would suggest regular dieting and exercise until you have no change in your weight for 3 weeks straight, then start a pill if you feel its necessary. I have 5 uncles that are doctors and they all agree that there is no magic pill that will make you lose weight while you eat what you want and do no form of exercise.

Old 09-15-2005, 09:36 AM   #5
(female)

Valley HB User
Thumbs down Re: Diet Pills?

Hi, I wouldn't reccomend diet pills, I took them several years ago, and I ended up with a heart murmer, can't say for sure that is what caused it, but I wouldn't take them again, it's better to adopt a healthy eating plan and exercise.Good Luck, Valley

Old 09-15-2005, 04:25 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

W3IGHTL0SS HB User

Dieting pills: Hmm... To me, it just seems as if they DO NOT work, simply because there are SO MANY to chose from. If it worked, there'd only be one.

Another reason for me to think they're not real is because: Everyone I've seen that has tried them, has failed. So just like the person above, I disagree.

Old 09-15-2005, 06:45 PM   #7
(male)

abca HB User

I personally would stay away from diet pills especially kids or teens. What I would try is maby and herbal tea, which is good for you and could provide you with some weight loss. Also no diet pill will work unless you change your diet. (look on the fineprint of commercials even the expensive ones, will say "use with a diet and exercise program") stay away unless your severly overweight and NEED to lose weight. Not these people who use them because they wont diet

Old 09-15-2005, 06:57 PM   #8
(female)

admired1 HB User

I agree with everyone that disagree with diet pills, however there are some people out their that need that extra boost, I agree with abca that you should'nt take them unless your seriously over weight and when eveything else has failed(meaning cutting calories and fitness).

Last edited by admired1; 09-15-2005 at 06:58 PM.

Old 09-16-2005, 07:34 AM   #9
(female)

nikkilove HB User

i'm currently on a diet pill(meridia) and it doing wonders. My friend is taking phen (she is 40 down by the way) True it not just the diet pill i hvae change my way of living and it like second nature to me now. I mean diet pills aren't magic but they help some. and as far as just one pill made everyone is indeed different. that lkike saying if Nyquile was the best nite cold how come they have so many (that to you W3ightloss)
i'm saying discuss this with your doctor he or she is the best person

Old 09-16-2005, 10:22 PM   #10
(male)

abca HB User

In my opinion weigh loss pills or diet pills will work more as a placebo effect. People will think it really works their body will make it work. Most diet pills just work for the time your on them because they speed up your metabolism, but once you get off them your going to gain it back on if you don't change your lifestyle. Most people will try exercise or eating healthy for maybe a week and see maybe a pound and get distracted by foods and give in and then they think they can take the easy way out with these pills that are un natural and mostly all of them have side effects. heres the best pill: exercise and eat healthy no side effects very good for the body and heart

Old 09-17-2005, 09:01 AM   #11
Inactive

jcorn59483 HB User

I am on a medication called Meridia and have lost 16 pounds in the last month.

HOWEVER, I agree with those who suggest you try to lose weight without diet pills. I tried to do so for 20 years, including Weight Watchers and other plans. I stuck faithfully to Weight Watchers for a year, exercised regularly and lost all of 1 pound (!). I later discovered that the program was not tailored to my body and my metabolism, but only after seeing an endrocrinologist and my regular doctor.

I did not take the decision to use diet pills lightly. In all honesty, I was scared to death of them. But I have high cholesterol (now under control) and a low thyroid and a condition called PCOS. Regular programs just weren't working for me.

The diet pill has made me feel much less hungry and has given me hope for the first time. But they are not a "quick fix" solution and they do have risks. You still have to make the right food choices, follow a sensible exercise plan and learn new habits. You need to monitor your blood pressure and get regular blood tests to make sure your liver isn't being affected. It is not a decision to make lightly.

I expect I will face challenges and that my weight loss will slow down or "plateau" as I get to a lower weight. But I am very motivated and I definitely have strong reasons for wanting to lose weight: to be healthy, to be here for my children, to keep my body in prime working condition,etc. Vanity or looking good is the least of my concerns, although I understand how badly someone can feel by being fat, as our society is very judgmental about that. I just want to have a normal life span, one that is not shortened by obesity.

To summarize, I only took this pill as a last resort, after trying everything else I could think of. I know I didn't cheat more than a few times on Weight Watchers and yet I couldn't lose weight nor could I lose weight by simply counting calories and exercising.

I have no idea why Meridia is working for me but I am not looking a gift horse in the mouth.

Old 09-17-2005, 09:21 PM   #12
(female)

leann615 HB User

I am taking adipex. I have been taking them for almost 3 months and I have lost almost 30 pounds. They do have side affects..... sometimes I can't sleep, keep a dry mouth, but they make me not wan't to eat. On the 2nd week I didn't eat nothing for 3 days, just kept drinking my water. But it caught up with me, since then I make sure I eat something... leann

Old 09-18-2005, 12:41 PM   #13
Inactive

jcorn59483 HB User

Abca- No offense, but I tried exercising more and eating less and that simply did not work for me. Metabolism slows down with age and some people do need the "help" of a diet pill to get on the right track.

My doc says that as the weight goes down, the hunger eases up, too, so that many, if not MOST, people on the pills are able to stop taking them - in time. I do not want to stay on them for life.

Old 09-18-2005, 09:15 PM   #14
(male)

abca HB User

Its not always about exercising more eating less, its eating less junk food and incorporate healthier food into your diet, and exercising you may think you are doing the right exercise but maybe aren't, or maybe your on the wrong diet or eating the wrong foods. First of all if I had a weigh issue where no diet worked for me I would be taking a metabolic test, (tells you what you need to lose weight) If that failed and my obesity (overweight) was contributing to my health after all else fails than I would be taking natural weight loss pills and herbs first, then if that failed maybe A diet pill. But people just don't try and incorporate exercise and a healthy lifestyle into their diet and try to take the "easy way out" by incorporating diet pills because they lose weight on it. You are also putting dangerous chemicals into your bodya. Andd there is very very few people who would need diet pills in my mind after all I've mentioned very few people wouldn't have lost weight after all that

Closed Thread