It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-17-2005, 09:07 AM   #1
Inactive
(female)

Luxuria HB User
Feel like I'm fighting a losing battle

Anyone else get that feeling? Ok, I know that I've only been on my diet/work out plan for 3 weeks but I feel like I just can't control myself and I'll never be able to lose the weight.

I'm 21, 5'10" and about 210 pounds. The weight is kind of evenly spread so I don't really have a large stomach or behind so I don't really look my weight. Still, I hate it and want to lose as much as I can by my wedding in July. I'm sure some of you read my other post from a few weeks ago.

I just feel so upset today about the way I look. My fiance said that I look a bit smaller though.

I have been going on the treadmill 30 minutes 6 times a week and doing some weights as well. We don't have a full system though, just hand weights. We are getting a full system soon.

I eat lots of fresh fruit and veggies, stir fry with very little oil and seasoning for flavour. Grilled fish (salmon, whitefish) and chicken. I try to stick to a 1500 cal intake a day. The only 2 things I love and can't give up is pasta and beer. I don't have it every day, pasta maybe once a week and 2 or 3 beers a week max. Never all in one day.

I don't want to totally cut out my favourite things as I will end up craving them more and binging in the end. If I just cut back on them and moderate my intake, will I be ok?

I also love chicken caesar pitas. Pitas can be pretty healthy but probably not the caesar ones, eh? Anyone have and suggestions on what/where to eat when I'm out and can't make something myself?

I really need to vent about something too. I was out shopping the other day with my maid of honour. I went into American Eagle to look at this sweater and they were all size S and XS. Who wears extra small!? Anyways, the sales lady came over and I asked her if they have any bigger sizes (I wear a size 16 pant and L or XL top depending on the style/cut) and she totally looked me up and down and said "I don't think we have anything here that will fit you" I was outraged. I have pleanty of clothes from AE.

Anyways, I said "Oh really? I have several shirts from here so I know you carry them in a large" She completely glared at me and said "Well maybe we have one in the back" so I sent her off to look. She came back with one, which fit perfectly. When I paid and was asked if anyone helped me I said yes, but that she was very rude so she did not receive any commission.

I just couldn't believe the rudeness! Sorry that I'm not a small like you lady, but what gives you the right to be so judgemental? Right from the start she treated me like I had no right shopping in that store.

*sigh* Anyways. I didn't let that bother me to much but I really do feel like I'm never going to lose these pounds. Any advice?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-17-2005, 11:01 AM   #2
(female)

k8ty HB User
Re: Feel like I'm fighting a losing battle

Luxuria, I just read a lot of your threads, and it sounds to me like you are very confused about how to go about losing weight, and willing to try just about anything I imagine because I was a lot like that as well. I just read through as many websites, message boards, and books about weightloss as I could find hoping to find something magical that would be perfect for me. As I am far from finding a perfect diet for anyone, I have created for myself a pretty good diet cocktail. Now, I don't know what diets you are familiar with, so if anything is unclear, just ask me and I'll try to explain.

The first diet that started me on this way was the Maggie Drozd diet, it's all about eating your carbs and proteins and fruits separately from each other because they need different conditions (acidic/basic) to be digested in (veggies can be eaten with carbs or proteins). I read a lot more on food combining diets and felt that this would be good for me, as I low-carbed for a bit, but couldn't do it in the end because I'm a vegetarian.

I also read alot about the paleo diet, where you eat only foods that could be found in nature; meat, nuts, fruits, veggies...but I include eggs and cheese, again, because of the protein.

Because I'm veggie, in the past the majority of my calories has come from carbs, so I decided to cut them down as well to only whole-grains: oatmeal, whole-grain rice, and whole-grain pita bread.

The Diet:

I eat as much fruit as I want until noon, on an empty stomach
I eat a carb meal for lunch at 2 (usually carbs are every-other day)
I eat a protein meal for dinner at 6 and later

I incorperate as many natural foods as possible like fruit, veggies, and nuts

This works great for me because I get a bit of everything, just separately. My cravings for carbs have greatly reduced, I think it's because the carbs I have are really low GI and really high in fiber.

With excercise 5 days a week, I've lost 4 pounds this past week, with another weigh-in on thursday, I'll let you know how I've done.

Some people have had, say, 80% sucess with these diets when incorperating them into 80% of their day, so maybe you could have that beer, or get a low-carb substitute. I don't know, but I've also heard that proper diet is 90% of your weight loss, so you will probably be fine with the excercise you're doing. I've read sooooooooooooo much about diets in the past few years, feel free to ask any questions, and good luck!

Old 09-18-2005, 03:17 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

Luxuria HB User

Thanks for your reply K8ty.

It is over whelming with so many diet plans out there. I am pretty much on the same plan as you described above. Lots of fruits and veggies and protein. I did weigh myself today and I have lost 3 pounds. So it looks like I'm doing *something* right. Haha. And you know, I do like my beer and pasta (not excessive or anything) so if it means I keep and extra pound or two, that's fine with me. Lol.

Thanks again.

Old 09-18-2005, 04:43 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

viccles HB User

I've lost weight on my own diet. I basically eat everything...dairy...carbos...protein nothing is limited. I do try and eat as little carbs as I can at night. Ive lost over 40 pounds and its worked for me.

Old 09-18-2005, 06:32 PM   #5
(male)

abca HB User

Maybe try this. Eat a Big breakfast any amount you want of the following items:
Apples,Pears,Beriries, Kiwis, Pineapples, Grapefruit, Plums, Peaches, Prunes, Figs, Rye bread, Raw butter (non pasturized, non homogonized)m Raw mile (same as butter), PLANE YOGURT (no sugar or fruit), Wild smoked salmon, chicken, tuna, sardines, lamb, potatoes in limited amounts, eggs and coffe in limited amounts. EVERYTHING ORGANIC 100%.

Drink 8 glasses of water a day (not while eating)

Drink a glass of water immediately upon rising (better if its warm)

Walk an hour

Nothing after 6:00 PM

Try some digestive enzymes, No sodas whatsoever.

Try breathing techniques (oxygen burns fat)

For lunch try something like 2 sandwhiches on organic whole weat bread with lean chicken and lettuce.

For supper try to eat as small as you can something with protein in it.

Anyways a big contributing factor could be that your eating processed foods, maybe you should try a fast or a liver cleanse?

Yous hould always be eating organic.

Also try to build muscle, it burns fat.

Maybe your not losing weight right away because didn't you say you were weight training? maybe you were adding muscle?

Old 09-19-2005, 12:47 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

Luxuria HB User

Thanks for your reply Mefit. It really gave me a big boost of confidence.
My fiance and I live in a new area in our town and there are 10 miles of walking paths and parks all around us so yes, we certainly can go outside for a walk.

Thanks again for the kind reply.

Old 09-19-2005, 01:53 PM   #7
(female)

SushiGirl HB User

I'm 37 and 5'10 and was 210lbs for the longest time. I'm now 195 or less I'm not sure since I don't have my own scale. I weigh myself at my mothers when I visit her. I've been eating a lot less then I use to and I go for a nightly walk with my boyfriend, when I can. I'm recovering from back surgery done in February. I noticed for about 4 months after I wasn't anywhere near as hungry as I was before the surgery. Now I'm starting to feel more hungry and wanting to eat like I did before. But I won't let myself do it. I eat my breakfast, a good lunch, and then one helping of dinner. I use to always eat two helpings at dinner, I'm starting to feel the need to do it again lately. So, when I feel like having the second helping I'll either have a carrot or piece of fruit and call someone or just get myself out of the house and away from the food. Seems to be working so far. Thank god!

Old 09-19-2005, 02:04 PM   #8
(female)

SushiGirl HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by abca
Maybe try this. Eat a Big breakfast any amount you want of the following items:
Apples,Pears,Beriries, Kiwis, Pineapples, Grapefruit, Plums, Peaches, Prunes, Figs, Rye bread, Raw butter (non pasturized, non homogonized)m Raw mile (same as butter), PLANE YOGURT (no sugar or fruit), Wild smoked salmon, chicken, tuna, sardines, lamb, potatoes in limited amounts, eggs and coffe in limited amounts. EVERYTHING ORGANIC 100%.
Any amount isn't a very good idea. To much of some of that food can be bad for some people. Everything organic can very expensive.

Quote:
Drink 8 glasses of water a day (not while eating)
Why not while eating? I drink water while I eat, never have any problems.

Quote:
Walk an hour
not everyone can do this, I can't

Quote:
Nothing after 6:00 PM
Most people just get home from work at that time. I try not to eat anything after 8pm. More realistic.

Quote:
For lunch try something like 2 sandwhiches on organic whole weat bread with lean chicken and lettuce.

For supper try to eat as small as you can something with protein in it.
That doesn't seem like enough food for a whole day at all.

Quote:
You should always be eating organic.
Again, that can be very expensive for people and really isn't necessary.

Old 09-19-2005, 05:35 PM   #9
(male)

abca HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SushiGirl
Any amount isn't a very good idea. To much of some of that food can be bad for some people. Everything organic can very expensive.

Why not while eating? I drink water while I eat, never have any problems.

not everyone can do this, I can't

Most people just get home from work at that time. I try not to eat anything after 8pm. More realistic.

That doesn't seem like enough food for a whole day at all.

Again, that can be very expensive for people and really isn't necessary.
I know that too much of any food can't be good for you but really, If your eating pretty much all of that your not going to overdue on any specific food there, nobody eats that much unless their just eating 1 or 2 things from that list fro breakfast.

Drinking while eating causes the water to interfere with the digestion process and isn't good.

Then walking for an hour, If you cant do that start lower and work your way up, is it you physically cant or just dont want to?

If its not enough then eat more quantities of what I listed, That doesn't seem to unreasonable seeing as most people are on 1000-1500 calorie diets.

Well if you cant after 6 doesn't mean other people cant, just try to limit what you eat after 6 maybe take a small snack or big snack at like 4 or 5 so you dont eat as much later on.

And eating organic is very neccesary, this makes all the difference in the world. Think your on a low carb diet and your consuming meat a lot. You eat some chicken that is fed with hormone that makes it grow faster its coming into you and can make you fatter. Not to mention any other chemicals they put into their foods that are very very damaging to the body so this is very important.

Also yes, it may be more expensive but, say chicken is 4 dollars a pound for non organic and its 5.50 to 6.00 dollars for organic, you think ahh thats a waste of two bucks. Then maybe you go to tim hortones and buy a coffee there worth 2 bucks that you sont need. Or look on how much some people spend on losing weight and diets. And it all depends on do you really want to lose weight and can you put a price on health?

Old 09-19-2005, 08:39 PM   #10
(female)

KymZ HB User

First of all, I'd like to offer you a bit of a suggestion. I'm a firm believer of the "lifestyle change". While its great that you want to look good for your wedding, that time will end. Maybe you should focus on living healthier life and set a few goals for yourself. Also, have fun while your doing it. I know that running on a treadmill gets very teadious after a while. So, find something you enjoy and challenge yourself. One example, is I found out that I really enjoy running, So, my goal is to run a 5K and go further from there. I also, love dancing, and offer lessons to people that would like to learn. It keeps me going and I look forward to doing it by helping someone else. Also, my kickboxing excersizes have really improved my kicks for dancing as well.

As for my eating habits, I refuse to deny myself of anything. However, I have a few rules that I follow.

1. I do not eat anything past 7:30pm. I REFUSE!!!
2. If I am tempted for a certain sweet or snack, I ask myself if it is worth 5 pounds that I've worked off. If it truely is, I have it, if not (which it usually isn't) I won't bother with it.
3. Pay attention to what you are eating and read lables. I limit my carbs to one serving a day (usually morning or afternoon) I allow 2 protein servings a day, and lots of veggies. One of my favorite snacks is a bag of sugar snap peas. They are natually sweet, refreshing, and crisp. I personally think a "sandwich" on a piece of lettuce instead of bread is just as satisfying.
4. Pitas and wraps are not as good for you as you may think. I once looked at the lable for 1 wrap vs 2 slices of white bread. Believe it or not, the white bread was lower in calories, fat, and carbs by almost 1/2!!
5. One really good tip while eating, that is very easy to follow through and get into the habit of doing is. Take a sip of water between each bite of food. You will find you get fuller with less food, and it also cuts down on speed eating.
6. Water, Water, Water. I drink on average 5 liters a day.
7. You said you love pasta, believe me, I do too. Try to eat whole grain pasta's, I've found I don't mind them at all. Their isn't a huge difference when you look at the lable but they offer some much needed fiber.
8. It takes on average someone 15 hours to break down the combination of carb and protein together. But 5 to break down individually. Try not to combine the two, the longer it takes for your body to break it down, the longer it is sitting there forming fat.

I know those are alot of rules that I have that I follow. But believe me it is working. I've lost 67 lbs. and still dropping like nothing. Make a few changes and decide to start living healthier and it will all fall into place.

Last edited by KymZ; 09-19-2005 at 08:44 PM.

Old 09-21-2005, 10:46 AM   #11
Inactive
(female)

Tattooall HB User

Aw Luxuria, don't feel so down! We all have our days like that. You sound like you are in a similar situation like I am. I'm 24 and need to lose around 20 pounds to be at my "healthy weight" and I'm finally ready to do it. I don't really look heavy either like you said and I do find that some retail workers can be very rude.

Take a look at reality. I think we are programmed to only notice those thinner than us, the so called "beautiful people" because that is all we see on television. When infact the average woman wears a size 14 to 16. I think we don't notice that as much because we are programmed to see the small groups of thin people. Unfortunately we can't all be perfectly touched up celebs or have the body of a teen anymore. *sigh*

It really does sound to me like you are doing a good job so far. 3 weeks really isn't all that long but so far you seem to be on a good track. I workout 6 days a week (cardio and weights) and watch what I eat. I don't cut out food since you do tend to end up craving them more and pigging out. I allow myself a treat once a week like 2 cookies or a scoop of ice cream. As long as it is in moderation.

It is so hard to figure out what kind of routine works best for you. There are so many options and everyone has their own opinion on what is the best way to go but really no body knows you better than YOU. Do what works best for you, not what others think you should be doing.

I have been working out and watching what I eat for 2 months. I don't have a scale in my home but I have noticed a change in my body, my husband said so too and I found some of my clothes that I didn't wear too often are fitting better and now I love weairng them again!

Someone (I forget the user) did make a good point about trying not to mix protiens and carbs. If you can do it, that is great. I love pasta too and have tried to switch to the wholegrains with veggies. It is actually quite good. I didn't give up beer either. One or two a week won't hurt.

Don't listen to the negitive things people may say, you are doing well and keep it up! I hope you are able to read this post as I see you got banned. Keep up the good work Luxuria. I know you'll do great and congrats on your engagement!

Old 09-21-2005, 03:46 PM   #12
Inactive

jcorn59483 HB User

I'm so sorry that sales lady was rude to you. It is a sad fact that people who are considered overweight or obese are treated badly by many people. It is a form of prejudice and, like so many prejudices, there is no good reason for it.

You CAN lose weight but you may or may not be able to lose it on a particular timetable. Why? Because we all have our own metabolisms and our own rate of weight loss, even if we doing everything right. So do your best but don't beat up on yourself if you don't lose at a certan rate.

The important thing is to keep moving in the right direction and to maintain commitment while dieting. You CAN work your beers into your diet plan but be aware that alcohol, even in small quantities, can lower inhibitions and make it harder to maintain your willpower. Some people can handle it while dieting but I'm not one of them, except in very small amounts - maybe 4-6 ounces once or twice a week at most. Alcohol may also slow your metabolism somewhat, just as caffeine speeds it up a bit.

Rather than trying to focus only on the wedding, why not make a commitment to enter your marriage in the healthiest condition you can, heading in the right direction?

Don't forget that the time before a wedding can be very stressful and it is harder to diet during stressful times - NOT impossible, but defnitely more of a challenge.

Were you committed to losing weight BEFORE you picked a wedding date? If so, why? If not, why?

Old 09-22-2005, 08:54 AM   #13
Inactive
(female)

Tattooall HB User

jcorn

Your reply is wonderful! I hope Luxuria is still able to read these since it says her account was banned. I totally agree with you though. I was in the same situation as her. I started working out a lot and lost 25 pounds before my wedding (before we were even engaged, I've opted for the healthy lifestyle) but I have after 2 years put 20 back on, not by choice mind you.

I broke my ankle last year, one of our cats tripped me while I was going down the stairs. Ouch! So was not able to work out for quite a while.

I have myself back on track now and am starting to lose again. I'm not even really that heavy, 5'10" and 190lbs. I have had similar treatment from sales people. It's disgusting how those of us that are not a perfect extra small or small are made to feel like a failure. Even when I do get back to 170lbs I can't fit into a small, my body is simply too long so the clothes are too short.

So far though Lux sounds like she is doing a wonderful job and it's great that we are here to support her. I really do hope she can still read these messages.

Closed Thread