It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-19-2005, 10:37 AM   #1
(female)

k8ty HB User
Post Weight Loss Canon

There are so many new threads each day called simply, "help, I don't know what to do, I'm new at everything!" And I feel I want to help everybody, but it's hard answering everybody and repeating my same suggestions. So, I thought all us veterans could compile a "Weight Loss Canon" with one helpful tip each, so people could just read this. If you have a specific question don't be afraid to ask, though. So.........

What has been the one thing (and I know it's hard to limit it to one) that has been most beneficial to your weight loss, be it diet, excercise, medetation, etc...? (Lets try to keep things positive a.k.a do do this and do do that , not don't do this or never do that. )

The one thing that has helped me most in losing weight is to only eat up until 3 hours before I go to bed because I know nighttime eating is just emotional eating rather than "hunger" eating.

Last edited by k8ty; 09-19-2005 at 10:38 AM.

Old 09-19-2005, 10:53 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

anitak1982 HB User
Re: Weight Loss Canon

Well I started my weight loss with a change in my thinking! You must change the way you view your way of eating in order for a permanent change to take place. No matter what form of weight loss program you choose if you do come to the conclusion that bite of food isn't worth it. It is only in your mouth a moment but a life time on the hips.

I do low carb (Atkins) and for me the second best assistant to losing weight is to have a partner. My husband and I began this together. It is so much easier when you have someone to do this with.

I lost 50 pounds and my Husband lost 60. We feel great. Eat better than ever in our lives. More veges and healthy foods instead of take out every night.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-19-2005, 02:18 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

StenoLady1 HB UserStenoLady1 HB User

Fantastic thread, K8ty

I agree with Anita in that a partner in the household makes it much easier. I also agree with her about making a change in eating lifestyle, not just for a week or two.

I'll take it a step further and add that the biggest help/aid to me was research, research, research. I'd done so many diets over the years where as soon as I stopped eating cabbage soup or drinking grapefruit juice all day or ate some potatoes/pasta, the weight -- plus some -- would return. I don't think it matters what eating plan you decide to go with, just research it fully enough to really know if you'll be able to eat that way for years and years to come and is it truly good for your body in other respects. Luckily with my job, I come into contact with MDs, DOs, trainers, physical therapists and nutritionists. This is part of what I mean by research, discussion with health professionals, not just a website or two on the Net.

Lysne

Old 09-19-2005, 05:19 PM   #4
(male)

abca HB User

I think If you are overweight you should definetely try some of this.

Switch to all organic foods. This makes a big difference, you don't get the growth hormone and all that other stuff people use synethetically to make more money. This could be a contributing factor to overweight and obesity, also you don't get all the toxins that are in regular food.

Definetely switch all your drinks from diet or whatever to water, (aspratame, Ive mentioned a lot on that) water is very important for weight loss.

Juicing- this is a very fast healthy way too lose weight while getting the toxins out of your body.

Eating organic grapefruits- I have mentioned this countless times about organic grapefruits and the powerful digestive enzymes found in them.

Take a metabolic test- this could be contributing to obesity even if your on a diet it could be wrong and devastating to have weight loss

Organic Virgin coconut oil- Also another product I have mentioned a lot, has very powerful weight loss effects, very healthy. Been countless study's and tests to this amazing oil.

No eating after 6 and Eat a LARGE breakfast

Eat 5-6 meals a day definetely instead of 3 big meals.

Absolotuley no fast food or chani food restraunt eating horrible for you! and your stomach

Stay away from glutamat especially monosodium glutamate and high fructose corn syrup, in my mind the chemicals that pack on the most weight and devastating effects.

limit your milk intake

Take a Candida, Liver and colon cleanse

this is just some of the things I think you should be doing to achieve weight loss

Old 09-19-2005, 05:40 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

KittyLove HB User

Here's my advice: Stop eating white bread.

Old 09-20-2005, 03:09 AM   #6
(male)

ksaguy HB User

Excellent K8ty... *2 thumbs up*

glad people are just posting '"Do's" instead of lectures.

Well to Loose weight:

1. Drink lots of water
2. Eat Healthy (i know its hard, i cant do it myself)
3. Green Tea helps alot
4. This is a Medication: before eating any meal, have two capsules of Garcinia Combogia from GNC. (my aunt and cousins tried it and they lost so much weight and they are not even gaining it back but on only one condition and thats lots of Cardio)

Ever Alternate day, wear something tight, tight fitting jeans and t-shirt and look in the mirror and complement "wow, i have lost so much, i feel great, i LOOK great'.... TRUST me, its better than everything and within no time, you will be getting the same compliments from others.

Old 09-20-2005, 10:37 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

Find the number of calories that are required to hold at your present weight.
Count your calories faithfully, recording EVERYTHING, and NEVER let your weekly average exceed that magic number.

You CANNOT fail!

Old 09-20-2005, 11:04 AM   #8
(female)

Cldwv HB User

It's a mental/mind-set thing with me. I do a lot of the above listed things, i.e., water-water-water (in between chugging green tea all day), exercise daily, no sugar, low carb, tons of vegetables and lean protein. BUT, when I was walking at the park last night, I found myself getting discouraged that things weren't happening fast enough for me. Then a word popped into my head. Cumulative!!! Every day counts. Everything I put in my mouth and every mile I walk/run gets added to the previous day's and so on, and so on. In the past I've gotten very discouraged because things don't happen quick enough for me and then I end up quitting. Now when I wake up I tell myself one day at a time. Be healthy, eat right, exercise today. Worry about tomorrow, tomorrow. Eventually, I/you will see results. GOOD LUCK!

Old 09-20-2005, 11:35 AM   #9

angelkitty081 HB User

What a great thread! I think drinking 2 liters of water a day and portion control. It takes 3,500 calories to lose one pound, so do some math and adjust your eating habits.

Old 09-20-2005, 12:33 PM   #10
(female)

Cldwv HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelkitty081
What a great thread! I think drinking 2 liters of water a day and portion control. It takes 3,500 calories to lose one pound, so do some math and adjust your eating habits.
I'm not sure what you mean here, sorry. Does that mean you have to burn 3,500 before you loose a pound? I'm confused too... what's best to count/keep track of, calories, fat, carbs?

Old 09-20-2005, 01:26 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

bluehen94 HB User

I think the most important think with weight loss is consistancy. Eating healthy and exercising to achieve weightloss goals and maintaining it is a life long commitment. Doing everything right 1 or 2 days a week is not going to work, be consistant with your efforts.

Old 09-20-2005, 01:59 PM   #12

angelkitty081 HB User

yes, you have to burn 3,500 calories to lose 1 lb. If you count the total number of calories you consume every day and then just take in 500 less per day, you'll lose 1-2 lbs a week which is healthy. I personally think it's best to keep up with calories instead of carbs but everyone is going to have a different opinion on that one. To me a calorie is a calorie no matter what it came from. I don't like have forbidden foods because then thats what I want. But it's best if your calories come from healthy foods like fruits, veggies, whole grains, lean meats or a good source of protein.

Old 09-29-2005, 04:39 PM   #13
(male)

abca HB User

ya I reccomend counting calories instead of carbs, although don't go too low, (not good for you)

Just bringing this thread too the front page because a lot of people are asking how to lose weight and I am repeating myself

Old 09-29-2005, 06:19 PM   #14
(female)

KannD86 HB User

I've got some questions about the stuff some people have posted.

from abca:
"Switch to all organic foods. This makes a big difference, you don't get the growth hormone and all that other stuff people use synethetically to make more money. This could be a contributing factor to overweight and obesity, also you don't get all the toxins that are in regular food."

aren't organic foods sort of expensive? i notice that organic fruits and other things labeled organic always cost more than regular food. i don't know about other people, but i'm not really in the position to spend a lot of money on organic food. is there anything specific you can recommend that would aid in weight loss? (other than grapefruit, i can't take the sourness)

"Definetely switch all your drinks from diet or whatever to water, (aspratame, Ive mentioned a lot on that) water is very important for weight loss."
"limit your milk intake"

isn't milk excellent for dieting? i drink a ton of milk and if anything, it's good for weight loss. obviously low fat like 1% not whole milk. also, i drink orange juice and iced green tea every once in a while. i don't think that's doing any harm, is it?

"Take a metabolic test- this could be contributing to obesity even if your on a diet it could be wrong and devastating to have weight loss"

what is a metabolic test? do you need a doctor to get one? is it necessary only if you're obese, or is it good for everyone to know?

"No eating after 6 and Eat a LARGE breakfast"

i heard not eating 3 hours before you go to bed is sufficient. for me that's 8ish. and if i eat too much for breakfast, i tend to be hungrier all day long. i don't think that applies to everyone.

"Absolotuley no fast food or chani food restraunt eating horrible for you! and your stomach"

i don't eat fast food anymore (only once in a while when i have no choice), but i hear some fast food places offer stuff that's not so bad. i'd be interested in finding out what the best things to get at fast food places are because I can't always find someplace healthy and cheap.

"Take a Candida, Liver and colon cleanse"

what are these things and where do you get them? what do they do for you?

sorry to second guess you, I just want more info on some of the stuff you mentioned. thanks.

from ksaguy:

"before eating any meal, have two capsules of Garcinia Combogia from GNC."

what is Garcinia Combogia? is it specifically meant for weight loss?

now that i'm done with all those questions, i've got a tip of my own. i read somewhere that people who are very fidgety can burn up to 400 calories a day. i'm on the fidgety side, so i was really happy to hear this. it means every little bit helps. any time you can be active, even if it's by tapping your foot a little, do it. it adds up.

Old 09-30-2005, 02:10 PM   #15
(female)

summerblue HB User

Hi Everyone.
I agree with most of the posts here about eating the right foods: fruits, vegetables, lean meats, whole grains etc. I really recommend WALKING. Walk at a brisk pace for at least 30 minutes a day and also maybe some stretching, like yoga.
I was at a stand still for a few months, I could not lose a pound! Since I started the walking and yoga, plus eating right, I have lost 4 pounds in 2 weeks and I can see a big difference in how much more toned I am getting Good Luck All

Closed Thread