It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-23-2005, 12:22 AM   #1
(female)

isillyme HB User
Question Weight watchers good or bad

I am looking to eat better, and lose weight at the same time. I am looking into weight watchers, and I would like an honest opinion on what you thought of it. I have high cholestrol, and diabeties, and my eating habits are not healthy at all. Once a day sometimes a snack at night, otherwise, I don't feel comfortable with eating normally. I am looking at weight watchers, so I can have guide lines and such, so all honest inquires are very important to me. Thanks

Old 09-23-2005, 01:06 AM   #2
(female)

Heather27b HB User
Re: Weight watchers good or bad

Ask your doctor about Atkins. It's often prescribed to diabetics and/or for lowering cholesterol.

I personally lost all respect for Weight Watchers when they started this disinformation campaign "The truth about carbs" -- carbs give you energy, blah blah blah, and perhaps maybe horrible things will happen if you don't eat carbs, FUD. What they don't say is: "Without carbs, you use fat for all that good stuff, and lose weight like mad." They'd lose too many members.

I lose about a pound a day on Atkins. On WW, it seems like everybody loses maybe 4 pounds a month.

The best thing about WW is the friends / moral support. For actual weight loss... you can guess my pick.

Also, there's the nutrisystem thing, where they send you meals... haven't tried it, but you might want to look it up for the daily balanced nutrition aspect.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-23-2005, 01:27 AM   #3
(female)

Erika2610 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by isillyme
I am looking to eat better, and lose weight at the same time. I am looking into weight watchers, and I would like an honest opinion on what you thought of it. I have high cholestrol, and diabeties, and my eating habits are not healthy at all. Once a day sometimes a snack at night, otherwise, I don't feel comfortable with eating normally. I am looking at weight watchers, so I can have guide lines and such, so all honest inquires are very important to me. Thanks
Actually Atkins is not good for you. You do need some carbs in your diet. My mother did Weight Watchers.. absolutely loved it. Lost alotta weight on it I believe.

Old 09-23-2005, 01:29 AM   #4
(female)

Erika2610 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heather27b
Ask your doctor about Atkins. It's often prescribed to diabetics and/or for lowering cholesterol.

I personally lost all respect for Weight Watchers when they started this disinformation campaign "The truth about carbs" -- carbs give you energy, blah blah blah, and perhaps maybe horrible things will happen if you don't eat carbs, FUD. What they don't say is: "Without carbs, you use fat for all that good stuff, and lose weight like mad." They'd lose too many members.

I lose about a pound a day on Atkins. On WW, it seems like everybody loses maybe 4 pounds a month.

The best thing about WW is the friends / moral support. For actual weight loss... you can guess my pick.

Also, there's the nutrisystem thing, where they send you meals... haven't tried it, but you might want to look it up for the daily balanced nutrition aspect.
BUT.. the Atkins diet doesn't conform to the American heart assocations guideline to a healthy heart.. I don't think that's that good for ya..

Old 09-23-2005, 04:22 AM   #5
Inactive

Moxie75 HB User

Eating low carbs in the Atkins manner can put your organs at a terrible risk especially your kidneys and liver. It puts you in a state of ketosis causing your kidneys to be overworked and all of the brain processes to be strained. Also the foods you eat on the atkins cause inflammation of your arteries. I think besides being a dedicated vegetarian who really knows how to calculate if you are getting enough nutrients and protein weight watchers is a healthy alternative. I am not an advocate of processed and packaged foods so if I did weight watchers I would certainly cook my own foods..Good luck, Lisa

Old 09-23-2005, 06:15 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

I think Atkins is danergous, pure and simple...it's a heart-killer (just ask Atkins.) And one-pound a day weight loss long-term on Atkins is the stuff of fairy tales. I know, I did it for 18 months (and lost 24 pounds and plateaued for 5 months ) It tookl calorie control to lose further.

Anyhoo,
Weight Watchers is a mentored low calorie diet that uses POINTS instead of CALORIES to make the plan seem worth the money and "something new and different." (1 point = 50 calories.) Calling them POINTS has always seemed a bit silly to me but then evey diet has to have it's GIMMICK to sell.

For self-starteres, you can accomplish the same thing for free by simply eating fewer calories in a balanced diet. All you need is a pencil, a pad, and a food scale.
BUT if you have lots of the $$folding green$$ to spare and you like group support, WW has a long record of proven success, and it can be a very social experience to boot.

I prefer to do the calorie counting myself and use my money in bettter ways.

Last edited by Lenin; 09-23-2005 at 06:17 AM.

Old 09-23-2005, 07:37 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

StenoLady1 HB UserStenoLady1 HB User

Since you are battling cholesterol and diabetes, I would urge you to give a call to your doc's office and inquire about Weight Watchers.

I have many friends and colleagues who have lost a lot of weight on WW. I can't speak from personal experience, tho.

However, I have high cholesterol and I'm overweight by 40 pounds. My doctor specifically discouraged me from Atkins in July of this year. He promoted the American Health Association diet for cholesterol lowering, and he said with daily aerobic exercise (good for the lipids, as well), I will lose weight. I did. I've lost 14 pounds in two months, and I get my cholesterol rechecked next month.

From what I understand about WW, you can eat whatever you want as long as you stay within your points. At least for cholesterol purposes, there are some foods you will need to avoid. I would think the same holds true for diabetics. I don't know if WW addresses this.

I saw my doc yesterday for a neverending cold I caught on vacation, and he is now encouraging the Omega Plan and/or the AHA diet for his heart patients. I specifically asked him about this, and he gave me his new pamphlet which includes elements of both diets. They were both similar anyway, but I'm just glad now I've gotten the nod of approval from doc as far as eating avocado and nuts for heart health

Again, a simple call to your doc's office should give you a nudge in the right direction for your medical needs

Lysne

P.S. FWIW, I bought the "Simply the Best Italian" cookbook put out by WW, and it has truly become the Bible in my kitchen. Everything I've tried from it is phenomenal, easy and inexpensive!

Last edited by StenoLady1; 09-23-2005 at 08:09 AM.

Old 09-23-2005, 08:26 AM   #8
(female)

nascar HB User

I think WW is great and I have lost 40 pounds so far and I have 5 or 10 more until goal!!! There is 2 different eating plans one is core plan which you have a list of food that you can eat (kind of like the south beach diet) and the flex plan which is eating any foods you like! The points is based on how much you weigh and you can eat more points which is your flex points!! I think aktins is a bunch of crap I have done that and I couldn't do it b/c I can't eat like that for the rest of my life!! I just heard on the news and in the paper that the #1 weight loss plan is weight watchers and the 2 was jenny craig which cost alot more then WW!! Ask your doctor which he thinks is better plan for you!!! But coming from experince WW is the best!!! P.S. When I started WW I was 180 and now I'm 140!!

Old 09-23-2005, 01:51 PM   #9
(female)

Heather27b HB User

I expected this, actually - it happens every time anyone brings up Atkins. For some reason, people repeat each others' anti-Atkins scare tactics without having done any unbiased research. No offense, guys. I just want to attempt to correct some of the hysteria.

Dr. Atkins died of a heart attack from a bacterial infection, not from high cholesterol. Atkins is prescribed by doctors to lower cholesterol, for godssakes. It's not my fault your GPs don't know better. You're supposed to keep the weight loss to a reasonable level so you *won't* harm your body by losing too fast. (Losing too fast!!! How great is that?!) Even eating the same amount of calories as a low-calorie dieter, Aktins people lose four times as much weight. Look it up.

And carbs? After a couple of months on Atkins, you'll be eating practically as many carbs as you were before, anyway - only it'll be from healthy food, like vegetables.

Most importantly, Atkins can control your diabetes to the point where you no longer have to take insulin. How fantastic is that?! My father-in-law is one of those people - he's been on Atkins for 30 years - and his body hasn't broken out in green and purple spots yet....

He's also pretty overweight. Since he's just on the long-range diet for diabetes, he hasn't worried about weight loss. That's the one thing you have to be aware of on this diet: There's weight loss, and then there's plateaus. You eat more and more carbs until you plateau; if you want to keep losing, you lower your carbs for a few days. (That's why people who try, um, half-butted, to eat the max 20 carbs a day (during induction) say Atkins doesn't work...)

Anyway, please read Atkins' book. It talks about all of this stuff. And debunks most of the common fears about it.

Old 09-23-2005, 02:32 PM   #10
(female)

YaYa04 HB User

Quote:
I expected this, actually - it happens every time anyone brings up Atkins. For some reason, people repeat each others' anti-Atkins scare tactics without having done any unbiased research. No offense, guys. I just want to attempt to correct some of the hysteria.
Most people that have anything "anti-Atkins" to say have been on it and had major problems with it. Therefore, there is no need for unbiased research since they have tried the diet for themselves, this makes it a factual experience. My sister was on it and almost died because of it.

Quote:
Dr. Atkins died of a heart attack from a bacterial infection, not from high cholesterol. Atkins is prescribed by doctors to lower cholesterol, for godssakes. It's not my fault your GPs don't know better. You're supposed to keep the weight loss to a reasonable level so you *won't* harm your body by losing too fast. (Losing too fast!!! How great is that?!) Even eating the same amount of calories as a low-calorie dieter, Aktins people lose four times as much weight. Look it up.
Any doctor I've ever been to won't prescribe it. Do you think it could be your GP that doesn't know better? Yeah, my sister lost the weight fast and almost died from a heart attack.

Quote:
Anyway, please read Atkins' book. It talks about all of this stuff. And debunks most of the common fears about it.
A book about the diet is obviously going to try to debunk anything negative about it so people will believe and put their health at risk.

I'm losing weight just great on my own with no special type of diet or book.

Old 09-23-2005, 10:26 PM   #11
(female)

isillyme HB User

Thank you all for your replies. I know as a diabetic we have to have some carbs in our diets, but I want to know how to balance all of that out correctly. My doctor wants me on whole Grains, fruits, veggies etc... loads of proteins and such. She orginally wanted me on 1800 calories a day to me that is way to much. Seeing that I am new to an area, I think having a support group and meeting some new people would be great. I have to get use to drink water again, My mom gave me a real scare about water and now I avoid it. I was from a state where our water was very polluted, so one day she was telling me that the water I was drinking was very polluted, kind of made me not want to drink that again. Now I have to re program my brain to start liking water again.

Old 09-24-2005, 01:11 PM   #12
Inactive

Moxie75 HB User

Anyway, please read Atkins' book. It talks about all of this stuff. And debunks most of the common fears about it.[/QUOTE]

Hi Heather,

I did read both of his books and I did the diet so I am not speaking from lack of experience. My cholesterol went through the roof and now I am being told I need to be on meds but instead I am trying a healthier approach on a diet that I got from a cradiologist who wrote the book "Stop the Inflammation" There is more to the story as to why americans are one of the unhealthiest on the planet. All I know is that when the doc told me I was at risk for a heart attack or stroke I quit all dairy products and red meat. I eat nothing but veggies and fruit and very lean skinless meat or fish and that is only 3oz a day. It has only been 3 weeks and I am already down a size...Good Luck and good health to you, Lisa

Last edited by Moxie75; 09-24-2005 at 01:12 PM.

Old 09-25-2005, 11:32 AM   #13
(female)

Maxinek HB User

Weight Watchers has worked for me in the past. I actually got to goal weight in the 80's. In 2000 I lost 42 lbs but after having a hysterectomy I gained all back. I have tried several times in the past 2 years to rejoin but the weight came off way too slow. Like 2 lbs in 10 weeks. I finally got frustrated and gave up on them. I don't think they prepare for what to do when you get to goal weight and follow maintenance.

Old 09-25-2005, 11:45 AM   #14
(female)

Missy4585 HB User

I personally have tired Atkins and Weight Watchers. I lost like 12 pounds in two weeks on Atkins but I felt awful. I didnt feel like I was getting the right nutrition and I had no energy whatsoever. The worse part was that I gained it all back plus more when I stopped the diet. I felt that it was not a permanent lifestyle that I could live by. I started weight watchers in March of 2005. I have lost 35 pounds and I have kept it off. I feel healthy and look healthy. The good foods that the diet recommends gave me energy, better skin, and confidence. I am so much more happy now I would recommend Weight Watchers to anyone.

Old 09-25-2005, 12:44 PM   #15
(female)

star9763 HB User

I looked into nutrasysten and found out it was $279.00 a month. It sounds good but what happens when you lose the weight and strat eating on your own? Do you gain it back? Try WW I have heard so many good things about it. Good luck!!!
Star

Closed Thread