It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-25-2005, 12:23 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

pipermac HB User
The Artificial Sweetner Debate.

I am curious to Know how many people here believe the "BS" that Artificial Sweetners are dangerous and bad for you. And how many people actually believe the truth?
(I guess you can tell which I believe! )

I am interested in seeing some actual debate between people on both sides of the arguement.

Old 10-25-2005, 12:53 PM   #2
Inactive

Moxie75 HB User
Re: The Artificial Sweetner Debate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipermac
I am curious to Know how many people here believe the "BS" that Artificial Sweetners are dangerous and bad for you. And how many people actually believe the truth?
(I guess you can tell which I believe! )

I am interested in seeing some actual debate between people on both sides of the arguement.
Great topic..
In my opnion and from what I have read they are toxic and I believe this to be true. They are processed and processed and processed and my beliefs are such that if man made it don't eat it but that's me. I don't trust the FDA or the FTC. I beleive firmly they are out for the almighty dollar first and foremost hence why are we still an obese society if this stuff works? I am a whole food believer as well as organic. I have read case studies and the side effects on aspartmane and other artificial sweetners such as: * Excessive depression
* Extreme hunger (resulting in weight gain)
* Symptoms of diabetes (drastic drop in bloodsugar levels making you shaky untill you eat something sweet)
* Extreme, unexplained, tiredness
* Uncontrolled Uretera infections
* Drastic drop in body temperature, making you shake even if it's warm.

I use 100 organic maple sugar to sweeten my tea and coffee and a tsp goes a long way and is only like 25 cal. I worked at a pharmaceutical manufacturer for 4 years and I can tell you their only concern is the money. Let's face it the diet industry is the largest but then why is it we are still the fattest and the sickest because this BS is just that BS. Stick with whole foods and a more natural way of eating and excercise and watch the weight fall off..JMO...Lisa

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-25-2005, 01:09 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

bluehen94 HB User

I always say as with everything moderation is key, extreme amounts of anything can be toxic.

Old 10-25-2005, 01:26 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

StenoLady1 HB UserStenoLady1 HB User

I don't use artificial sweetener. Not because I believe or don't believe anyone's claims or "BS", but because, first, I think it tastes awful. Second, I drank diet soda and the "light" Splenda OJ for about two weeks; it was the only thing I had changed with my diet and routine. I had the worst headaches of my life during that time. I switched to either water or my own brewed tea made with small amounts of sugar or honey and the headaches disappeared...and I've continued to lose weight.

As for the truth, not sure where to go for that, but I doubt it's the FDA or manufacturers of artificial sweeteners to be honest with us on any level. I'm sure we can all pull up 1,000 websites that are pro and then another 1,000 against. If it doesn't bother you and you enjoy it, great. If it affects you negatively and you're able to lose weight and live life with a little sugar, life's good then, too

Just my $0.02

Lysne

Old 10-25-2005, 01:31 PM   #5
Inactive

Moxie75 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluehen94
I always say as with everything moderation is key, extreme amounts of anything can be toxic.
I agree but when the majority of things we do today are toxic then it is not in moderation. Things such as microwaving our foods, smoking, breathing in second hand smoke, sprays, creams and sun blocks that are not natural even carpets in our home. I try to reduce the amount of toxins I can and If I can reduce it to at least 50% then I am ahead. As you said everything in moderation that is also my motto..Lisa

Old 10-25-2005, 02:39 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

KittyLove HB User

When in doubt...and NONE of US has all the facts so why risk it, do without. I honestly have no clue why this is a debate...use common sense and it's crystal clear. I know I said that "I respect your opinion" but you seem adamant on pushing your views down our throats, which I don't do, even when I feel very strongly about something. I'm starting to wonder if you work for Nutrasweet or Splenda.

Last edited by KittyLove; 10-25-2005 at 02:55 PM.

Old 10-25-2005, 08:21 PM   #7
(male)

abca HB User

artificial sweetner = death

bottom line, not natural, foreign to the body, gets stuck in our fatty tissues, is not water soluble. do not consume unlesss u want diseases

Old 10-26-2005, 06:16 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

pipermac HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyLove
When in doubt...and NONE of US has all the facts so why risk it, do without. I honestly have no clue why this is a debate...use common sense and it's crystal clear. I know I said that "I respect your opinion" but you seem adamant on pushing your views down our throats, which I don't do, even when I feel very strongly about something. I'm starting to wonder if you work for Nutrasweet or Splenda.
This is a debate because many people have different views on it...thats why I asked the question. I am not pushing my view down anyones throats. I have my view and then I asked the Question of what everyone else thinks.

As for headaches.......I acknowledge that Artificial sweetners can cause headaches in some people.....but so can chocolate and Sugar itself. So headaches is not something that would classify it as being dangerous or bad for you.

I agree that Drug Companys and Food companys and such really only care about Money. While the FDA does care a lot about money their primary purpose is still to make sure things are safe.

One Big Question.....If it is dangerous and so bad for you, Why is there not one health type Organizations in the entire world to declare them unsafe and ban them? or even Denounce them.

the Canadian and American Diabetes Associations both Claim they are safe! and neither of them have anything to gain financially by doing so!

Because of the Controversy with Artificial sweetners they have been the number one most tested and studied items in the entire world, yet continues to be declared safe.

Old 10-26-2005, 06:28 AM   #9
Inactive

Moxie75 HB User

Quote:
This is a debate because many people have different views on it...thats why I asked the question. I am not pushing my view down anyones throats. I have my view and then I asked the Question of what everyone else thinks.

As for headaches.......I acknowledge that Artificial sweetners can cause headaches in some people.....but so can chocolate and Sugar itself. So headaches is not something that would classify it as being dangerous or bad for you.

I agree that Drug Companys and Food companys and such really only care about Money. While the FDA does care a lot about money their primary purpose is still to make sure things are safe.

One Big Question.....If it is dangerous and so bad for you, Why is there not one health type Organizations in the entire world to declare them unsafe and ban them? or even Denounce them.

the Canadian and American Diabetes Associations both Claim they are safe! and neither of them have anything to gain financially by doing so!

Because of the Controversy with Artificial sweetners they have been the number one most tested and studied items in the entire world, yet continues to be declared safe.
Here's the real deal:
The food industry puts tens of thousands of chemical ingredients into the food and in many cases they do not have to list those ingredients on the label. How do they get away with that? Through our lobbyist friends and by paying off politicians and members of the Food and Drug Administration. Itís all about the money...Like I said Great Topic..Lisa

Last edited by Moxie75; 10-26-2005 at 06:40 AM.

Old 10-26-2005, 06:53 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(male)

pipermac HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moxie75
Here's the real deal:
The food industry puts tens of thousands of chemical ingredients into the food and in many cases they do not have to list those ingredients on the label. How do they get away with that? Through our lobbyist friends and by paying off politicians and members of the Food and Drug Administration. Itís all about the money...Like I said Great Topic..Lisa
I dont disagree with you about this.....but the FDA is not the Only Organization in the World that proclaims the safety.

The World Health Organization Proclaims it's safety and as does Every other Major Health organization in the word. I would think that if is was so dangerous there would be at least one organization in the world that would say so.

Old 10-26-2005, 07:07 AM   #11
Inactive

Moxie75 HB User

Quote:
I dont disagree with you about this.....but the FDA is not the Only Organization in the World that proclaims the safety.

The World Health Organization Proclaims it's safety and as does Every other Major Health organization in the word. I would think that if is was so dangerous there would be at least one organization in the world that would say so.
I haven't read what they/WHO have said and you may be right in saying that it's safe and certain toxins could be deemed safe in small amounts. My worry is that alot of people drink all day long drinks with artificial sweetners which have made them very very ill. My feeling is if is ok for some but not for all then why put it out there at all for everyone to consume?..Lisa

Old 10-26-2005, 08:06 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(male)

pipermac HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moxie75
I haven't read what they/WHO have said and you may be right in saying that it's safe and certain toxins could be deemed safe in small amounts. My worry is that alot of people drink all day long drinks with artificial sweetners which have made them very very ill. My feeling is if is ok for some but not for all then why put it out there at all for everyone to consume?..Lisa
Who is to say that it is Artificial Sweetners that is making them Ill? could be all that carbonated water! Why should artificial Sweetners be to up to greater standards then any other "Natural" food we eat. Some People can Die from eating Peanuts! should we not allow Peanuts? If you sit around eating Chocolate all day you are probably gonna get very ill as well.

Old 10-26-2005, 08:12 AM   #13
Inactive
(female)

determinedd HB User

haven't read replies, but i have heard it actually causes some ppl to GAIN weight! The only thing I drink or eat w/ artificial sugars is crystal light (walmart generic version tastes better) but everytime i drank it, i just got this weird vibe, like i was putting poison in my body lol. Needless to say it's VERY rare that i drink/eat anything w/ splenda (which hasn't been on the marke long enough) or nutra sweet.

I think switching from reg to diet soda is just switching addiction form(IF your drinking it EVERY day!). That's just MOP!

Old 10-26-2005, 08:19 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(male)

pipermac HB User

If anyone is interested...look at this link:
http://www.greenfacts.org/aspartame/aspartame.htm#99

Old 10-26-2005, 08:26 AM   #15
Inactive

Moxie75 HB User

Quote:
Who is to say that it is Artificial Sweetners that is making them Ill? could be all that carbonated water! Why should artificial Sweetners be to up to greater standards then any other "Natural" food we eat. Some People can Die from eating Peanuts! should we not allow Peanuts? If you sit around eating Chocolate all day you are probably gonna get very ill as well.
Well now you are speaking allergies which is a whole different animal if you ask me. I also believe that allergies are not a natural process of human beings and that they are caused like all diseases by our environment such as the toxins we are speaking of. As for the carbonated theory no one said they got sick from drinking carbonated anything it is the "Artificial Sweetner" we are speaking of here and like I said before ARTIFICIAL anything I aint putting in my body that's for sure. On that note there is a great book out there called "Exitotoxins-The Taste That Kills" and another one called "Aspartame-Is it Safe". It is a known fact that Certain processing techniques change a natural food (in this case sugar) into an unatural toxin. As stated before it's all about the money. We can debate all day about this but I think I said all that is needed to be said from my point of view..Lisa

Closed Thread