It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-01-2005, 05:36 PM   #1
(male)

Mrcool011 HB User
Fruits only ok before or after workout?

The owner of the gym i go to, told me to stop eating fruits for breakfast if im not exercising. because "it will turn into fat" he said fruits are only good before or after exercise. and that i should eat oatmeal with some raisins for breakfast instead? any truth to this?

Old 11-01-2005, 06:32 PM   #2

Daphnee HB User
Re: Fruits only ok before or after workout?

Better to eat a fruit, than a cookie or piece of cake. Oatmeal (seems an obsession on the weight loss board, lol) is an excellent choice, but you want the REGULAR kind only. Add a little skim milk (I use 2%) and a sweetener of your choice, and bam you got yourself some good stuff .

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-01-2005, 06:39 PM   #3
(male)

cabalcjp HB User

Well I would question what he is saying, I have been eating fruit all my life, just to be truthful I hate sweets. I'll have 4 apples in a day, 2 for breakfeast and another 2 during the rest of the day. I could even eat 5 peaches in a day too. It has to do with your body if you can burn food off or not. Not to do with having an apple here and there.

I'm not overweight or even close to it because I was lucky enough to have a body that burns off food at an extremely fast rate so I get all the good stuff and leave non of the fat behind. One thing I have read though it's not eating less food that gets your skinny its your body for one and the type of food you eat. Just eat stuff like brown rice, beans, vegies, fruits and cut back on eating out, meats, and high fat stuff. Even the Cheif Boy R D stuff people love so much, or K-D.

Just because he's a Trainer doesn't me he knows best. Just rember if your willing to come here to question it you know yourself there may be no truth to it what so ever. Well Good luck with your weight loss but most of all just enjoy life and not worry so much on getting the food in right between work outs, just make foods that are healthy and fun.

Old 11-02-2005, 06:20 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

pipermac HB User

that advice is going abit too far. there are so many opinions of dont eat this then. or Exerciseat this time is best...etc etc. People come up with these ideas mainly to try and find something better to SELL to all the people trying to lose weight. Well ity may be true that by exercising at a certain time or avoiding certain foods at certain times may make a SLIGHT difference.....it is not significant. the Bottom line still comes to Calories in = Calories Burned = Maintain weight.

so If you eat fruit and it gets stored as fat Quicker then oatmeal...so what?

if the calories are the same....then in the end you still burn the same amount.

When we Eat our " Calories" get turned into Glucose the Amount that we need gets stored in Glycogen Stores to be used for energy. any Excess gets stored as fat.

No Lets take a an apple at 75 calories....It will get broken down into glucose faster...thus it will fill the glycogen store faster and if excess calories are consumed get stored as fat.

Now If you eat 75 calories of Oatmeal...It will get broken down more slowly...thus fill up the Glycogen store more slowly. If excess calories are eaten then the excess may not get stored as fat as since it takes longer to breakdown, you will be using your glycogen store for energy during that time, essentially clearing up space for the excess calories.

So that may sound like Oatmeal is better....but not really. Although Apple calories may get stored as fat more quickly. You are still Burning the same amount of calories during the same period of time. In the cas of the Apple you will eventually use up your glycogen store...when that is done you will start to burn fat. In the Case of the oatmeal, over the same period of time you end up just using your glycogen store and never burn any fat. the Net Result is the same.

to show an example lets take some completely arbitrary numbers.

Lets say that you are burning 50 calories /hour
lets say your Glycogen stores are empty and can hold the equivalent Glucose of 50 calories.

You eat an apple that is 75 Calories, It Immediatley converts to Glucose, 50 Calories get stored in glycogen and 25 get stored in fat. after one hour the glycogen is empty. after an hour and a half 25 calories of fat have been burned.

You Eat Oatmeal 75 calories. it Converts to glucose slowly, it takes 1.5 hours to convert.
In this case after 1.5 hours 75 calories have been stored and 75 have been burned.

The Net Result of both situations is the same.

Now What I have explained may not be exact...but it is basically true. There may be some other factors that making eating the oatmeal slightly better. but it would not be significant.

Old 11-02-2005, 06:23 AM   #5
Inactive

Moxie75 HB User

I do not agree with the owner of the gym at all. My husband has been a bodybuilder for 31 years and we both eat fruit all the time whether it's a workout day or not. My husband doesn't have an ounze of fat on him and I have a body fat % of 16. It's kind of silly that he tells you to eat otameal with a fruit (raisins) but says that fruit alone will make you fat. I eat fruit whether I work out or not for breakfast sometimes...Lisa

Old 11-02-2005, 02:41 PM   #6
(male)

Mrcool011 HB User

you guys and gals are amazing. thanks for the help.

Closed Thread