It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2005, 11:27 AM   #1
(female)

JoanneWaters HB User
How do you kill the appetite?

My appetite is my WHOLE problem. I just do not get full like other people. I am not eating alot due to boredom, depression, etc. I truly feel hungry. I have passed this gene onto my daughter because she does not get full either. Has anyone found anything that suppresses the appetite? Thanks very much.

Old 11-16-2005, 11:50 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

surrealmeal HB User
Re: How do you kill the appetite?

I didn't know there was such thing as an overeating gene; it sounds more like a learned trait. Nonetheless, the main solution is getting a balanced meal with enough filling fiber (veggies, fruits, whole grains) with a good source of lean protein and some good fats (like olive oil).

That should do it, but if you still need a little help, drinking a couple big glasses of water or a hot cup of tea really helps me. Yerba mate in particular is great, but it has a caffeine-like substance so I don't recommend drinking it at night or else you will be wired! It's a really great drink. Red tea also known as Rooibos is good for drinking at night, because there is no caffeine and it is delicious and satisfying. I drink both yerba mate and rooibos with soymilk and a spoonful of maple syrup, and it's really great. Yerba mate in particular REALLY kills my appetite. Google them both if you're interested in learning more.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-16-2005, 11:59 AM   #3

erica082e HB User

There was a show on Dr. Phil the other day about some disorder..2 kids had it. They were never full. I dont remember what the disorder is called, but they said its very rare, u might want to check out his site.

Old 11-16-2005, 12:45 PM   #4
Inactive

Moxie75 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by surrealmeal
I didn't know there was such thing as an overeating gene; it sounds more like a learned trait. Nonetheless, the main solution is getting a balanced meal with enough filling fiber (veggies, fruits, whole grains) with a good source of lean protein and some good fats (like olive oil).

That should do it, but if you still need a little help, drinking a couple big glasses of water or a hot cup of tea really helps me. Yerba mate in particular is great, but it has a caffeine-like substance so I don't recommend drinking it at night or else you will be wired! It's a really great drink. Red tea also known as Rooibos is good for drinking at night, because there is no caffeine and it is delicious and satisfying. I drink both yerba mate and rooibos with soymilk and a spoonful of maple syrup, and it's really great. Yerba mate in particular REALLY kills my appetite. Google them both if you're interested in learning more.
I could not have said it better all the fiber fulled foods. And the Yerba Mate tea is awesome..Lisa

Old 11-16-2005, 01:50 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

pipermac HB User

not to advocate drugs...but it could also be caused by low seratonin levels.

When your seratonin levels are low you can feel hungrier and get more food cravings.

A Drug that raises your seratonin levels is called 5-HTP. I might look into it if I were you. I think you need a perscription for it. Regardless I would talk to your doctor before trying it.

I know this was the case with me.... My doctor perscribed me an antidepressent (Even though I only considereded myself mildly depressed) and right away I noticed a difference with my appetite and my cravings. I have lost 25lbs in 8 weeks since taking them. I read up on it and the drug I am on raises seratonin levels.

Old 11-16-2005, 05:09 PM   #6
(female)

KHPtotherescue HB User
Thumbs up Re: How do you kill the appetite?

I know how you feel. That is my worst nightmare. Finally after weighing in at 303, I'm ready to kill the appetite. I asked for an appetite supressant. Not one of those over the counter remedies; but one that my doctor would recommend. He prescribed Adipex-P today.

Now because I have high blood pressure, he wants me in his office every Wednesday to weigh in and have my BP taken. I also have Type 1 diabetes but since I've started this program with him, and have eaten according to the South Beach Diet Book; looking at the Good Carbs/Bad Carbs chapter, I can see this is going to be good for me because the adipex is working and my sugar has dropped from 324 to 197.

This doesn't mean that everyone should take an appetite supressant. I need this because of the diabetes and the fact that I'm 51 years old and would like to live to see my grandchildren some day. My father lost both legs from the knee down because he let himself develop diabetes again after his doctor gave him a clean bill of health. I don't know about genes that make appetites increase; however I do know that I take after my father in build and I want to at least stop the build area, lol. My goal is 140 pounds.

Old 11-16-2005, 07:16 PM   #7
(female)

JoanneWaters HB User

Pipermac- what antidepressant do you take? To everyone else, thanks for the replies. To the poster who mentioned Dr Phil, the show was about prader willi syndrome, and we don't have that. There most definately is a genetic factor in obesity. They have done studies on twins seperated and raised by different families, and the ones with obese parents grew up to be obese, even if they were raised by naturally slim adoptive parents. Anyway, if I could get a handle on my appetite, I could lose more weight. It's hard not to eat when you feel starving, ya know? Thanks for the advice!

Old 11-16-2005, 10:05 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

pipermac HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoanneWaters
Pipermac- what antidepressant do you take? To everyone else, thanks for the replies. To the poster who mentioned Dr Phil, the show was about prader willi syndrome, and we don't have that. There most definately is a genetic factor in obesity. They have done studies on twins seperated and raised by different families, and the ones with obese parents grew up to be obese, even if they were raised by naturally slim adoptive parents. Anyway, if I could get a handle on my appetite, I could lose more weight. It's hard not to eat when you feel starving, ya know? Thanks for the advice!
Effexor.

Old 11-16-2005, 11:17 PM   #9
(female)

Mool HB User

Are you eating enough protien? Protien is the best filler-upper you can eat.

Old 11-17-2005, 08:11 AM   #10
(female)

JoanneWaters HB User

Mool,

Yes, I try to get a balance of all good foods, such as fiber, protein, veggies, fruits, etc. It just takes me alot more than most to get full. It has been that way since I was a child. My 3 year old is a bottomless pit as well. She can eat more than an adult. So I fear she in on the same path. For now I can mostly control what she eats, but with that appetite, she will eventually become overweight. I will do my best to battle it with her, though. But that is a different subject.

Old 11-17-2005, 09:07 AM   #11
(female)

worldtraveler HB User

Believe it or not, there is one natural way I've found to suppress the appetite: exercise. When I exercise, I do get hungry, of course, but something inside of me tells me to quit eating when I'm full. The problem for me is fighting the feelings of not wanting to exercise.

Old 11-21-2005, 11:06 AM   #12
(female)

Bloomers HB User

I too seem to eat more than the average person. I look at some of the diets of other people and I don't know how they could sustain themselves on so little food. And I am actually restricting my calories! My hunger doesn't go away as soon as I like it to, so I end up eating more than I should. I have been told never to let yourself get hungry, it is bad for losing weight. So that ends up being more food=more calories! I can't win!

Old 11-21-2005, 01:33 PM   #13
(female)

worldtraveler HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloomers
My hunger doesn't go away as soon as I like it to, so I end up eating more than I should.
Have you tried eating slower? It takes awhile for your stomach to communicate with your brain that it's "full." Thus, if you eat slower, it's harder to overeat.

Old 11-21-2005, 02:39 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

justanothagirl HB User

lol... last night i thought of a new thing to do... so basically during the day i stay good and at night before sleeping i imagine stuffing up on the yummiest things there are mmm....

Closed Thread