It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2005, 04:52 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

mjewell HB Usermjewell HB Usermjewell HB Usermjewell HB User
Red face Holy Moly the calories I have been eating!!!

I would like to lose about 10 pounds. I am 5'5" and weigh around 140. 130-135 is ideal for me.

I have recently started doing very vigorous cardio workouts about 5 days a week 30-45 minutes each. Mostly running and elliptical. I don't really lift weights because I am pretty muscular and bulk up easily. For strength I do pushups and stuff like that on my own. I could not figure out why in the heck i am not losing weight...ok i GAINED 6 pounds in 2 weeks, but I attribute part of it to period monthly gain.

But today I about died. Just out of curiosity I went on a calorie counter web site and found out that by 2:00 I had consumed 2,400 calories. 2,400!!!!!!!!!!!! that is ridiculous!!! At this rate I'll be a blimp, my gosh! I didn't even eat that much but the stuff I ate had more calories than i was aware of. Geez.

Needless to say, I need to change that ASAP. What is a good range of calories i should be taking in each day to lose weight? I understand 1800-2000 is good for maintenance. So what is a good weight loss intake? 1500?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-16-2005, 05:25 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

bluehen94 HB User
Re: Holy Moly the calories I have been eating!!!

I would start at 1600 and give it a month, if you don't notice any weight loss drop it, but don't go under 1400 or your body might retaliate against that.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-17-2005, 09:25 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thanks bluehen. I love eating so not sure I could survive below 1400!

Old 12-04-2005, 08:20 PM   #4
Inactive
(male)

davelacb HB User

This is the calorie amount you should have to be healthy
I posted this in another post
----------------------------------------------Calorie range-----------
-------------------------------Sedentary--------------------Active
Males
4-8 (years old)-----------------1,400-----------------------2,000
9-13----------------------------1,800-----------------------2,600
14-18---------------------------2,200-----------------------3,200
19-30---------------------------2,400-----------------------3,000
31-50---------------------------2,200 ----------------------3,000
51+-----------------------------2,000----------------------2,800
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Females
4-8------------------------------1,200-----------------------1,800
9-13-----------------------------1,600-----------------------2,200
14-18---------------------------1,800-----------------------2,400
19-30---------------------------2,000-----------------------2,400
31-50---------------------------1,800-----------------------2,200
51+-----------------------------1,600-----------------------2,200

Old 12-05-2005, 09:28 AM   #5
(male)

WillandJill HB User

Itís awesome that you took the time to look at the number of calories you are eating during your day . Did you also try to figure out how many calories you burn?

You probably know that losing weight is all about burning more calories than you eat. With this in mind you can say that the number of calories you eat & burn are equally important. Itís not one or the other, itís both. Itís about finding a balance between the calories you eat and the calories you burn.

Looking at you post, I believe you are on the right track. You just need to fine tune your day a little.

There are three things you can do:
1. If you really like the food you eat and canít do without, try burning more (workout longer/harder, walk more, etc.).
2. If you hate working out, try eating fewer calories (for example the 1,500 you were thinking of) and keep the number of calories you burn the same.
3. If you donít have a problem with eating fewer calories and burning more, try both at the same time (youíll lose weight fast).

You need a 3,500 calorie shortage to burn 1 pound of body fat. Burning 875 calories more than you eat each day will help you lose 1 pound of body fat every 4 days.

Before you start try to find out how many calories you burn during your day. It might surprise you as well (one more thing, do not credit yourself for too many burned calories. Itís better to be safe than sorry).

A 140-pound person burns about:
458 calories by sleeping for 8 hours
914 calories by studying or doing office work for 8 hours
64 calories by watching TV for 1 hour
148 calories by jogging for 20 minutes

Old 12-05-2005, 10:13 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

justanothagirl HB User

lol... that's quite a lot.. 2400 by 2 pm? how much did you have by the end of the day? 4000?

Old 12-07-2005, 08:05 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

It is often AMAZING the discrepancy betweeen the calories one THINKS one is consuming and the reality that is revealed after a careful count.

It's at the heart of the problem with the people that we ALL have met who say: "I am 80 pounds overweight and I don't understand it...I never eat a THING!"
And then if you follow them around you see that they never STOP eating!

Last edited by Lenin; 12-07-2005 at 08:06 AM.

Old 12-07-2005, 08:18 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

justanothagirl HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenin
It is often AMAZING the discrepancy betweeen the calories one THINKS one is consuming and the reality that is revealed after a careful count.

It's at the heart of the problem with the people that we ALL have met who say: "I am 80 pounds overweight and I don't understand it...I never eat a THING!"
And then if you follow them around you see that they never STOP eating!
lol true true... my father is like that. He's overweight, he always says he hasn't eaten anything but he's always eating he just has bad memory...lol and when you say you saw him eat he denies it.

Old 12-08-2005, 09:14 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thanks everyone...it is truly exhausting to count your calories all day long, so what I have tried is cutting out some of the things I eat every day that I know I can do without, like my 3:30 "treat" - I have pretty much given up sweets, because i can really do without sweet stuff. I also cut out the syrup in my lattes and get either sugar free or no syrup. I've been drinking at least 80 oz of water a day and not eating fast food at all.

So far I have lost about 3 pounds, which is great. Last week I only worked out twice too, so I think I will keep on the path I am on.

The first day I posted with all the calories I had eaten two big rice krispy treats for my 3:30 treat and some takeout food from Chilis. Those were the big calories. Since I am not eating that stuff now it definitely cuts some calories out.

Closed Thread