It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-28-2005, 04:52 AM   #1
(male)

bobshotme HB User
how to find out what % of my body is fat?

ive lost alot of weight and some people are telling not to lose anymore because they said i look fit now, but i still think i have a high fat percentage..how can i measure this?

Old 11-28-2005, 06:05 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User
Re: how to find out what % of my body is fat?

Bob,

There are los of formulaic calculators on-line that should be easy to find. Some are good, some not. A good one will have a measure of frame size, maybe 2, in the mix, something like wrist or ankle diameter or pelvis width (between the two bony POINTS on either side a couple inches SOUTH of the belly button) AND height and weight. A bad one might use just height and weight (like the BMR...useless.)

Other methods involve caliper grabs at fat around the body (but this must be done with someone well trained or it's useless,) infa-red and electrrical resistance methods (my experience is they are not good.)

The GOLD STANDARD is a comparison of weighings done dry and then immersed under water. It works on the principle that fat is lesss dense and more buoyant than other body components. Needless to say you need a pool or big tanks and elaborate scales, so it's not a readily available test.

I think you'll find one or the other formulaic methods pretty good.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-28-2005, 07:25 AM   #3
Inactive

Moxie75 HB User
Re: how to find out what % of my body is fat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobshotme
ive lost alot of weight and some people are telling not to lose anymore because they said i look fit now, but i still think i have a high fat percentage..how can i measure this?
I have the fat caliper (cheap online) and that works fine. I had it measured at a fitness expo and it was only 1 % off from my caliper..Lisa

Closed Thread