It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-14-2005, 09:57 PM   #1
(male)

rockfordx2 HB User
Exercise Overrated?

I was just thinking about that "fat man walking across america". He doesn't seem to be losing any weight, yet he's walked over 1000 miles so far. He lost weight while camping in the Arizona desert, but gained it back when he walked though Texas and had nothing to eat but fast food. He basically proved you can't walk off a "supersized combo meal"

I think what goes in your mouth is more important for weight loss than the amount of exercise you do

Old 12-15-2005, 03:00 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

starsofglass HB User
Re: Exercise Overrated?

Well, I've read that losing weight by doing exercise and moderately limiting what you eat works better than severely limiting food intake but not doing any sports.

I'd say: a good diet AND exercise is the best way.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-15-2005, 04:59 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

StenoLady1 HB UserStenoLady1 HB User

I agree with Stars, exercise and diet.

I can only speak from personal experience. When I watch what I eat only, I don't lose weight; I generally just maintain my current weight. I must incorporate the exercise to see results -- and brisk walking is my main form of exercise.

Also, I don't think anyone who's trying to lose weight should be eating a super-sized fast food combo, no matter what eating plan you follow. Most fast food places have a somewhat healthier option than a giant burger/fry combo. What was that man thinking? I've seen that man before on the morning news shows, and he's been walking a long time. I don't recall how much, but I do remember he had lost weight...I guess until he hit Texas

Just my $0.02

Lysne

Old 12-15-2005, 05:28 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

pipermac HB User

Its True....Your Diet will contribute more to losing weight the exercise...think about it...what is easier to do? cut 500 calories from your diet or Burn off 500 calories by exercise?
but that does not mean exercise is overrated...Exercise has many more benefits then just weight loss.

Old 12-15-2005, 03:23 PM   #5

MKLowTone HB User

I think one thing to remember is that while it's easier to achieve short-term weight loss through eating less, you;ll only keep it off and make it easier to not put it back on again by increasing your average exercise load - you'll also be generally healthier and 'well-oiled' if you exercise your body

I'm working on that part now, and I do feel better after having got out and even just gone for a walk for 3-4 days in a row, compared to when I skip 1 or 2 days of the walks

Old 12-16-2005, 10:07 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

rockford,

I agree. While exercise is necessary for health it is not a cure for overeating. The amount of work one has to do to "cover" a 900 calorie meal is truly astonishing.

The web sites and exercise equipmen6t that try to quantify the calories burned are all silly overestimates.

A sedentary dieter can lose LOTS of weight...an overeating exerciser cannot.

Old 12-16-2005, 10:36 AM   #7
(female)

BeachLvr58 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenin
rockford,

A sedentary dieter can lose LOTS of weight...an overeating exerciser cannot.
This comment really raises a good point here. The question I have to throw out there is who would be the healthiest, the sedentary dieter or the overeating fitness person?

Old 12-16-2005, 01:45 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

mjewell HB Usermjewell HB Usermjewell HB Usermjewell HB User

I always hear these ads about how you can do such and such exercise and lose a bazillion pounds a year without even changing your diet. I know everyone's bodies work differently, but that would NEVER work for me. For me, what I lose depends almost 100% on how I eat. I exercise for health now and for how it makes me feel, but if I want to lose weight the first thing I do is cut back on my food intake.

Old 12-16-2005, 04:35 PM   #9
(male)

rockfordx2 HB User

"fat man walking" could be healthier than the sedentery dieter. He can walk farther than I could thats for sure. I'm not sure that makes him "fitter" ?

Good Question

Old 12-17-2005, 06:53 AM   #10
(female)

s1mc7 HB User

i've lost 40lbs and kept it off and never exercised...and i'm pretty sure even if i was exercising, i wouldn't have lost the weight any faster than i did

so in the case of weight loss..i don't think exercise is a must-do
but in the case of health...it's definitely more beneficial to exercise

Old 12-20-2005, 05:02 PM   #11
(male)

Wayne D HB User

I知 a good example of what mefit is talking about. I lost 35 lbs in nine months by changing to a healthy diet and exercising. Because of work and a family crisis (I know, excuses, excuses) I quit exercising for about six weeks but I continued to eat correctly. At the end of the six weeks I had not gained any weight but my gut was coming back and my new pants were getting tighter. I知 exercising again, but I知 mad at myself because it feels like I知 starting over. So, you can lose (or maintain) without exercise, but you won稚 be fit.

的f your body is shaped like a pear and you diet without exercising, when you池e done you値l just look like a smaller pear. I can稚 remember who said that, but I thought it was pretty good.

Last edited by Wayne D; 12-21-2005 at 06:39 AM.

Old 12-21-2005, 01:48 PM   #12
(female)

tropicalfreeze2 HB User

This is something to think about....last summer I was on a exercise plan where i worked out everyday and i really had to watch what I ate (but never starved myself). my weight loss results were okay, but could have been much better. once fall came around i cut back on the exercise to about 3-4 days a week decreased the intensity. as for diet i was eating healthy but not as strict of diet i was on before. now that it is about winter already i have lost more weight between fall and now than i did from summer to fall. i really don't know what to think of this but that i think when we try to over due our diets and exercise we are not getting the results that we want. we are too much in hurry to lose weight that our bodies hate us for that.

Old 12-21-2005, 03:27 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(male)

OutToLunch HB User

Exercise is NOT overrated. I know a lot of people will say it doesn't matter whether you burn the fat off or starve it off, but I happen to think it's better to burn it off, if for no other reason than it gets you into the habit of regular exercise. When most people think of exercise, they only think of it in the context of weight loss, as if losing weight were the only reason to exercise. I know I thought this growing up. I had a really fast metabolism so I could eat anything I wanted and stay skinny. As far as I was concerned, exercise was something only fat people did. Well things changed after 25. The metabolism slowed down and I gained a lot of weight. And like most people, I tried dieting and saw some results, but it wasn't until I started exercising that I saw the weight come off. The problem was that when I finally reached my goal, I stopped exercising cause I was still stuck in that "exercise is only for people who need to lose weight" mindset. I'm currently trying to lose the weight that I regained and I'm only about 10-15 pounds away from my target, but one thing I'm trying to do is not think of weight loss when I decide to exercise. Instead I'm thinking off all the health benefits that come with regular exercise, benefits that have nothing to do with weight loss. That way, I'll stick with it long after I lose the weight. As far as I'm concerned, there's no excuse not to get at least one hour of exercise everyday. Human beings were made to move, not sit in little cubicles staring at computer screens all day, filling out useless forms and listening to eight different bosses drone on about about mission statements. Bonus points if you get that reference.

Old 12-22-2005, 05:46 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(male)

pipermac HB User

I think the Real question was is it overrated when it comes to Weight loss? And Strictly Speaking when it comes to just weight loss and nothing else..it is a bit overrated by Some people...since Many people think they can eat whatever they want if they exercise.

think of it this way....If somebody Diets and does not exercise...they will almost definately Lose some Weight. But if some one Exercises but does not diet...there is a good chance they will not lose any weight.

The bottom line is that They are both very important when it comes to Weight loss and when it comes to overall health. But if you had to pick one as being more important then the other I would say that Diet is more important.

Old 12-22-2005, 05:49 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

starsofglass HB User

It's important to make a distinction between weight loss and fat loss too. If you do resistance/weight training, you will not lose muscle while dieting, so you will lose more fat. Someone who doesn't do resistance training will also lose weight, but risks losing muscle as well as fat. Not so good, considering this slows your metabolisms, and of course losing fat is what most of us are after.

Closed Thread