It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-15-2005, 12:32 PM   #1

Aima HB User
Is Rice Bad?

Hi...

I was wondering if rice is supposed to be a food to eat very little of?? for some reason..whenenver someone i know wants to loose weight..they ALWAYS focus on saying " maybe i should lay off the rice"..as if rice is bad??? is it?? which is better for u..less fat and stuff..rice or pasta??

thanks

Old 12-15-2005, 12:44 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

pipermac HB User
Re: Is Rice Bad?

Whats Best for you is Less Calories.

Rice On Its own is not bad for you...Brown Rice would be better...but White rice is ok. Just becareful of your portion sizes. If you are eating a good Balanced diet ther is no reason not to eat rice.
there really is no such thing as a fattening food. 100 Calories of rice or 100 calories of Broccoli will affect you virtually the exact same way. Any Differences would be minimal.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-15-2005, 12:54 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

StenoLady1 HB UserStenoLady1 HB User

I don't personally think rice or pasta is bad for you, unless you're a diabetic. I think why you're hearing what you do is because of all the attention the low carb diets have gotten as of late.

Rice and pasta are low-fat, low-cal foods. If you are watching calories and fat, watch how much butter/oil you put on them.

Piper's right in that you need to watch the portion size. I use basmati rice, and a portion is one cup prepared, which is a lot, IMO. Half a cup covers half my dinner plate, which is fine for me. Now, pasta, on the other hand, is easy to go overboard with since generally servings on the box are small.

I have been eating rice and pasta, along with a balanced diet, watching calories and all fats, and have successfully been losing weight.

Enjoy!

Lysne

Old 12-15-2005, 12:58 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

pipermac HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by StenoLady1
I don't personally think rice or pasta is bad for you, unless you're a diabetic. I think why you're hearing what you do is because of all the attention the low carb diets have gotten as of late.

Rice and pasta are low-fat, low-cal foods. If you are watching calories and fat, watch how much butter/oil you put on them.

Piper's right in that you need to watch the portion size. I use basmati rice, and a portion is one cup prepared, which is a lot, IMO. Half a cup covers half my dinner plate, which is fine for me. Now, pasta, on the other hand, is easy to go overboard with since generally servings on the box are small.

I have been eating rice and pasta, along with a balanced diet, watching calories and all fats, and have successfully been losing weight.

Enjoy!

Lysne

Just To Clarify...I am Diabetic and Eat Rice...It is not bad for diabetic.

Old 12-15-2005, 01:04 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

OutToLunch HB User

Rice is not bad. This is a legacy of low-carb people like Atkins who've made everyone afraid of carbs. However, you should be avoiding white rice or any processed carbs. They have almost no nutritional value. Brown rice is a whole grain and a good source of fiber. As with all carbs, eat brown rice in moderation.

Old 12-15-2005, 01:08 PM   #6

Aima HB User

umm..interesting.....but we can't saythe same thing about bread now can we???

Old 12-15-2005, 01:09 PM   #7
(female)

BeachLvr58 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aima
Hi...

I was wondering if rice is supposed to be a food to eat very little of?? for some reason..whenenver someone i know wants to loose weight..they ALWAYS focus on saying " maybe i should lay off the rice"..as if rice is bad??? is it?? which is better for u..less fat and stuff..rice or pasta??

thanks
I'm thinking you mean white rice when you ask this. My Motto is if man made it I don't eat it. White rice is not really bad for you but it has the hull removed as opposed to brown rice and forbidden rice it has most of the nutrients removed. Man removed it by processing it. I stay away from anything processed. But I would not say that white rice is bad for you. It's just not my grain of choice.

Old 12-15-2005, 05:00 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

pipermac HB User

IF we are talking Strictly Weight Loss then White Rice and White Bread are not Bad per se. But Obviously Whole wheat bread and brown rice are much healthier for you.

Old 12-15-2005, 06:03 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

Bread, rice and pastas are all good foods and are the basis of foods the world over. Not all cultures can afford the high fat meat and butterfat diets that the United States can...nor can they afford the angioplasties and bypasses.

If you are losing weight, just remember that all foods must have their calories accounted for, whether white, brown blue or bloody red.

The only thing that white rice is missing that is present to a small extent in brown rice is the B-vitamin complex. A one-a-day vitamin covers that deficit and any WHITE rice sold in the United States MUST by law have certain B-vitamins added back. The B vitamin shortage is only apparent when MOST of one's daily calories come from white rice...not the case in Western cultures.

(Most Chinese VASTLY prefer white rice...brown is for the pigs! )

Last edited by Lenin; 12-15-2005 at 06:07 PM.

Old 12-16-2005, 07:14 AM   #10

Aima HB User

well...that is what i assumed..that everyone was saying that carbs are bad beucase of all these low carb diets going around..so i appreciate your guys's responses....

However..I WAS referring to bread in my next question..not white rice? I understand that all the food at the bottom of the food pyramid, which consist of breads, grains, cereals, stuff like that...are important...but again..i guess people say bread is bad cuz of the low carb diet again....

Thanks..

Old 12-26-2005, 07:35 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

Bread isn't called the "staff of life" for nothing.
The milling of grain into bread is what made civilization possible. No longer did man have to follow the herds but could live in cities with grain field at arms' length.
It is onlt unhealthy in megadosages just like everything else. Remember, most of the world faces perennial caloric shortage and bread is the ideal food for cultures like that.

Closed Thread