It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-17-2005, 12:35 PM   #1
(male)

Haulin200 HB User
finding 5000 calories

Ok, Im a really big guy. 6'2 and about 395 pounds.
I do cardio 3 times a week, and weights on alternate days, with a sunday rest.
Problem is, according to everything I have read, my weight with my activity level should be using about 5600 calories a day. And to lose a pound a week, I need to cut out 500 calories a day.
Thats 5000 calories a day left to eat, broken up to 3 meals of 1200 calories and 3 snacks of 400 calories, thats allot of food.
I have kept a log of my eating for a month now, and on average I eat 2000 to 2500 calories a day, and not been hungry for more. I have been following clean eating, and the only thing that is processed is my EAS bars i use for snacks.
I havent lost any weight scince the start of my diet (1 and a half months ago).
No worrys, I am not discouraged at all, I just think I may be undercutting my calories and my body just doesnt want to give it up at all.
So if I increase my calories...where can I get some heavier calorie meals?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-17-2005, 01:38 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

pipermac HB User
Re: finding 5000 calories

I dont Think You need to Increase your Calories. By Cutting the calories as much as you have...your metabolism will slow down a fair bit....but because of your weight you already have a very high metabolism. The More calories you cut out...the less efficient yo will be at losing weight. This does not mean you will not lose weight.....what it means is that insted of losing a lb for every 500 calories...it may be a lb for every 700 calories.

Some People will say that you have cut too much and have put yourself in starvation mode.....Which may be true....but all that happens in starvation mode is that your metabolism slows down. It wont Stop you from losing weight.

Taht being said if you were still hungry with the 2500 calories then I would say to increase your calories....but if your not still hungry then go ahead and stay where you are. You should be aiming to eat at a level that will be the same as when you get to your target weight....this weigh it will be easy to maintain once you reach there.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-17-2005, 04:31 PM   #3
(male)

rockfordx2 HB User

Here's what profesional hockey player, Jarome Iginla of the Calgary Flames ate every day during the hocky lockout. And these guys have so little body fat to begin with. He's 208 pound of almost pure musle and his workout scheldule is a two hour program consisting of 45 seconds of intense shifts.

Iginla took in 4,500 calories a day while training, yet still lost eight pounds. He ate small meals and never went more than two hours without eating.

• FIRST BREAKFAST Before training, a bowl of raisin bran.

• SECOND BREAKFAST After training, a protein shake (half cup blueberries, banana, half cup of 1% milk, 50 grams of protein powder, spoonful of peanut butter).

• LUNCH Two buffalo burgers on a bun; lettuce, tomato. Why? "They're leaner than hamburgers," Iginla says.

• SNACK Protein bar (30 grams) and fruit. Over the course of a day Iginla ate 2 1/2 pounds of fruit. "In Kelowna [B.C., where he lives] cherries were everywhere.... That's where I got most of my carbs."

• DINNER Baked halibut, white rice and green beans. "After dinner I'd probably have another protein bar."

• BEFORE BED Protein powder (30 grams) mixed with water.

If I were you Haulin, I'd cut out the Burgers and protein bars to cut down calories and have a tuna sandwich, with fat-free mayo for lunch instead. And if you do have protein shakes, makes sure they are fat-free. Tuna is good protein.

Old 12-18-2005, 07:41 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

Haulin,

You have nothing to worry about with 2000-2500 calories/day intake. It is NOT too little. If you are not losing, then lower your calories to 1800-2000 calories.

The need for 5600 calories is preposterous, regardless of what you eat or how much you exercise. Where on Earth did you find that number?

Old 12-18-2005, 11:13 AM   #5
(male)

Haulin200 HB User

I found them here:
URLS REMOVED ]

as well as a few other books I have read, and fitness magazines.
so Im not sure how absurd it really is....
none the less, along with those findings I have also read that too much of a calorie cut, and your body will think its starving, and will lower metabolism to a slow pace...which is where i think i may be now..

Last edited by moderator2; 12-18-2005 at 02:28 PM. Reason: please do not post commercial websites for any reason

Old 12-18-2005, 12:05 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

6foot3 HB User

Yeah if your under 1200 calories. 5000 calories is crazy i learned that first hand at 6foot3 235 lbs i did that routine for yrs in body building/powerlifting and what did i get besides incredible muscle and strength , terrible crippling Neuropathy at 33. Not only have i slowly restored my feet but my food bill is a lot cheaper ! later!!

Last edited by moderator2; 12-18-2005 at 02:29 PM. Reason: ... to remove quote - please do not quote posting rules violations so that you are not also banned

Old 12-19-2005, 07:56 AM   #7
(male)

Haulin200 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6foot3
Yeah if your under 1200 calories. 5000 calories is crazy i learned that first hand at 6foot3 235 lbs i did that routine for yrs in body building/powerlifting and what did i get besides incredible muscle and strength , terrible crippling Neuropathy at 33. Not only have i slowly restored my feet but my food bill is a lot cheaper ! later!!
Im sorry to hear about your problems, I tried to do a quick look up regarding your neuropathy, but failed to see how it would be directly related to your 5k a day diet? Was it that the foods you were eating were not keeping your insullin levels low enough? or were they just too high?

Old 12-19-2005, 10:34 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

6foot3 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haulin200
Im sorry to hear about your problems, I tried to do a quick look up regarding your neuropathy, but failed to see how it would be directly related to your 5k a day diet? Was it that the foods you were eating were not keeping your insullin levels low enough? or were they just too high?
I messed up my metabilic state by trying to be like Lee Haney/Dorian Yates and the likes on ''Muscle and Fitness'' magazines who said eat 5000 to 6000 cals a day and you'll grow huge ! So it was all you can eat buffets and fast food establishments every day for 12/13 yrs . Really messed up my Cell Receptors and Pancreas .Surprised i didn't have Pancreatic cancer most deadliest. Doing lot better now !! later!!

Old 12-19-2005, 11:08 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

mjewell HB Usermjewell HB Usermjewell HB Usermjewell HB User

Perhaps your body IS in starvation mode now, but it won't stay that way. Eventually you will start to drop the weight as your body adjusts. You are doing the exact right thing by eating until satisfied and that's it. There is no better rule than that. Good job and keep it up/

Old 12-20-2005, 07:06 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

Unfortunately, the Dorian Gates' of the world neglect to mention the addition decodianabol, oxandrolone and daily testosterone and human growth hormone injections.
THey are talking another language ENTIRELY, and they are talking out of both sides of their mouths!

Last edited by Lenin; 12-20-2005 at 07:07 AM.

Old 12-21-2005, 05:41 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(male)

6foot3 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenin
Unfortunately, the Dorian Gates' of the world neglect to mention the addition decodianabol, oxandrolone and daily testosterone and human growth hormone injections.
THey are talking another language ENTIRELY, and they are talking out of both sides of their mouths!
How true you are Lenin. Even though asked many times Joe and Ben Weider , founders of ''Muscle and Fitness'' and ''Flex'' Magazines swore up and down there bodybuilders were all natural !! I Should had taken off those ''Rose Colored Glasses''.

Old 12-24-2005, 09:45 PM   #12
Inactive
(male)

F.R.O.S.T HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenin
The need for 5600 calories is preposterous, regardless of what you eat or how much you exercise.
I doubt it, considering i have much more than 5600 calories a day.

Old 12-26-2005, 07:59 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

starsofglass HB User

Don't forget: not only your weight matters, but also how much muscle you have, considering that muscle burns a lot more calories than fat cells.

Closed Thread