It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-01-2006, 01:02 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

Natalie00 HB User
Can low-Carb "Jump Start" a diet?? Also fat/ trans fat question

First, let me say I personally am not a huge fan of low carb diets (although I recognize they work for a lot of people!) because I just can't consider a diet healthy if it doesn't include fruits and whole grains, ect. But I was wondering if a person ate low carb (strict..) for about 5-8 days, could it "jump start" a diet? I have went low carb before and I lost about 3-4 lbs in the first week. However, would I just gain that weight back once I went back to eating carbs? Or is is just water weight you lose the first week?

About transfat..does oil (olive, vegetable, canola, ect) Have trans fat in it? The lable does not say. Does cheese have trans fat? Or does trans fat not occur naturally in something like cheese, but only in processed cakes or cookies?? (I heard that in a couple years it will be mandatory to list trans fat on labels which I think is a must..I don't want to eat trans fat, but am confused what it is and what it is in).

One more question...does eating more fat make you gain weight? Say, if a person ate 1,500 calories a day and 40 grams of of fat, would they weigh more than a person who eats 1,500 calories a day and 75-80 grams of fat?

Old 01-01-2006, 01:16 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

6foot3 HB User
Re: Can low-Carb "Jump Start" a diet?? Also fat/ trans fat question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natalie00

About transfat..does oil (olive, vegetable, canola, ect) Have trans fat in it? The lable does not say. Does cheese have trans fat? Or does trans fat not occur naturally in something like cheese, but only in processed cakes or cookies?? (I heard that in a couple years it will be mandatory to list trans fat on labels which I think is a must..I don't want to eat trans fat, but am confused what it is and what it is in).
You asked three different questons however i'll answer the Trans Fats and let others answer your others. Olive Oil does not have trans fat and its easy to spot on labels just look for '' Partially Hydrogenated Oils'', thats Trans Fat !! Even some foods say 0 gms of fat and yet list Partially Hydrogenated Oil on ingredients then there's still Trans FAT in it (Fat free cool whip) . The couple of yrs you heard starts today in jan 2006. These Fats are created in the laboratory and are not found in nature the way they have been created (Preservatives) . Even your body doesn't know how to discard these. later!!

Last edited by 6foot3; 01-01-2006 at 01:17 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-01-2006, 04:22 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

Natalie00 HB User

Ok So I looked at a tub of Cool Whip Lite I had in the freezer and it said 0 grams of trans fat, but in the ingredients it said 'hydrogenated oil' so does that mean it DOES have trans fat??

Old 01-01-2006, 05:05 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

6foot3 HB User

Quote:
Ok So I looked at a tub of Cool Whip Lite I had in the freezer and it said 0 grams of trans fat, but in the ingredients it said 'hydrogenated oil' so does that mean it DOES have trans fat??
Your correct. Hydrogenated or Partially Hydrogenated is Trans Fats. The FDA allows food manufacturers to get away with this because there's less than 1 gm of Trans Fat so they can claim zero gms but there still is Trans Fat in it. (usually 0.5 gms of Trans Fat )

Old 01-01-2006, 07:40 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

Natalie00 HB User

What a load of crap! I guess we can't count on any organization or company actually caring about our health, because if transfat really kills (overtime) then you think they would tell us if our food has it.

Thanks for the replies. Any advice on the other questions I asked?

Old 01-02-2006, 02:54 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

starsofglass HB User

Quote:
But I was wondering if a person ate low carb (strict..) for about 5-8 days, could it "jump start" a diet? I have went low carb before and I lost about 3-4 lbs in the first week. However, would I just gain that weight back once I went back to eating carbs? Or is is just water weight you lose the first week?

One more question...does eating more fat make you gain weight? Say, if a person ate 1,500 calories a day and 40 grams of of fat, would they weigh more than a person who eats 1,500 calories a day and 75-80 grams of fat?
I've heard that low carb makes you lose a lot of weight when you begin the diet, simply because you lose a lot of water weight (carbs "attract" water). Stopping the low carb after that, would make you gain some weight back: water weight.
As long as you have the same amount of calories, more fat will not make you gain weight or lose weight less quickly. Also, unsaturated fats can actually help the body in burning fat. Don't ask me how but I've heard this from several food wise people I know.

Old 01-02-2006, 10:35 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

chevyman HB User

YES I THINK IT WOULD "JUMP START"YOUR DIET, AT LEAST GIVE YOU THE MOTIVATION, but remember having no carbs for 7 or 8 days will make you feel sick flu like,(your body will be in different stages of ketosis but it will pass and you will start to feel better and you can enjoy some of the better carbs that are good for you.

LOW CARBS YOU HAVE TO BE SLECTIVE ABOUT BECAUSE THERES GOOD CARBS AND BAD ONES,
most eveything we eat has some sort of fat in it...just watch out for the trans fat and saturated pm fats...reading the ingredients on food labels are not always what you read if you don't understand the manufacturs lingo,theres a book that you can buy that lays out all the different food groups of ingredients that breaks down the terms that they use so a lay person can understand it better. just as 6foot 3 mention the FDA lets them get away with it.most labels are refering only to serving size based on a 2000 a day calorie count..they are trickey so beware.
Trans fats are hard to explain...think of it as just fats transfer from natural fats in a processed way in lower grams...(some fats you need) just remember to take a good vitamin when going low carb.

I notice 'Atkins" as gotten to be more carb friendly with that diet.
"South Beach" is more carb friendly also....but its the good carbs vs' the bad ones.
the bodys motabolisum system is very complacaited but yet eazy to understand....will power excersise and portion size is what dieting is and of course some common sense.

Old 01-02-2006, 12:25 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

The way that a product like Kool Whip slips under the radar is they say that a serving size is preposterously small...and then says some silliness like 70 servings per container.
If you make serving sizes small enough and only require listing ingredients exceeding a half gram you can make ANY food appear as if it contains NOTHING!

Kool WHip probably has more trans fats than any other foods except perhaps margerine and Crisco!

Old 01-02-2006, 02:37 PM   #9
Inactive
(female)

Natalie00 HB User

Nooo! I love cool whip! (I do keep the portions small). I wonder if regular canned whipped cream has trans fat. This is very upsetting (tear) because I love sugar free jello and cool whip as a desert. Why can't they just eliminate the trans fat?? Oreos did it (although I haven't read the long list of ingredients in Oreos, they do say 0 grams of trans fat now, but could still have hydrogenated oil in them). I mean is trans fat supposed to make things tast better?

Old 01-02-2006, 04:11 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(male)

chevyman HB User

hey your ok Natalie00,
I eat cool whip with surgar free jello at least 3 times a week and no weight gain from it...based on a 16oz tub of cool whip..the total fat is just 2 grams 3% and 1% gram of sugars and no trans fat/ poly fat or , monounsatrated fat. it does how ever contain partially Hydrogenated palm kernel oil and coconut oils but its very little thats probably where they get the trans fat from its kinda trickey but the "FDA" lets them label it that way.
just eat in moderation... you will be ok.
btw I like cool whip with strawberrys...Mmmm gooood.

Old 01-02-2006, 08:37 PM   #11
Inactive
(female)

Natalie00 HB User

Cool whip and strawberriers are pretty darn tasty

I went through my cuboards to see how many of the packaged foods had hydrogenated oils in them..and it was a SHOCKING amount. Even pretzels!

Old 01-03-2006, 06:45 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

StenoLady1 HB UserStenoLady1 HB User

Quote:
Cool whip and strawberriers are pretty darn tasty

I went through my cuboards to see how many of the packaged foods had hydrogenated oils in them..and it was a SHOCKING amount. Even pretzels!
Natalie, I've cut out partially hydrogenated oils since July. It's unbelievable how many foods have it. What boggles my mind is salad dressings. I mean, every "healthy" guideline advocates salad, salad, salad. We then don't have much choice but to pour poison over our healthy meal. Thank goodness dressings are easy to make from scratch -- and much cheaper than buying a bottle of the premade stuff -- or else I'd probably not be eating very many salads!

This past Thanksgiving, I needed to get some crackers. At the market, there was a rep from one of the big cracker companies stocking/inventorying the shelves. He asked if he could help me, and I said, yeah, I need a cracker with no partially hydrogenated oils. He kept handing me "low-fat" brands. I pointed out the ingredients to him with the PHO's in them. After searching and searching, we were able to find one brand...that's it.

Well, this Christmas, low and behold, I needed more crackers. I went back to my cracker aisle and was pleasantly surprised to see many more choices with no hydrogenation listed in the ingredients. This was only a matter of about six weeks. This is a regular grocery store, BTW, with "regular" brands, not organic or a health food store.

I think with the cholesterol/heart health craze going on, manufacturers are beginning to listen to the market. Maybe it's the new 2006 requirements, too, but they could easily get around the "t-fat" issue by lowering the serving size, as Lenin pointed out. They can't weasel themselves out of the listed ingredients, tho

Lysne

P.S. I wouldn't be surprised if we see prices going up. I believe manufacturers save a considerable amount of $$$ by hydrogenating oils versus using them in their pure form.

Old 01-03-2006, 06:54 AM   #13
(female)

jayep99 HB User

Whay was the name of that one cracker?

Old 01-03-2006, 10:43 AM   #14
Inactive
(female)

Natalie00 HB User

I guess I am going to have to turn into one of those annoying people who read the label of every item they pick up at the grocery store
I did buy this new kind of magarine (health heart somthing?) that say "no hydrogenated oils" all over the package and I read the ingredients to make sure, also. Does butter have hydrogenated oils? I take it most margarine DOES. And here I thought it was a healthier alternative. I don't buy into any of that low fat fat free crapy anymore because it is usually filled with sugar and those unhealthy oils and you always eat more. I'd rather have one or two really good fresh baked chocolate chips cookies once in a while than eat half a box of snackwells, which taste like chocolate covered cardboard anyways.

Old 01-03-2006, 12:08 PM   #15
(female)

KIDINSANITY HB User

As far as low carb diets go, are you referring to the A one? Your better bet would be to check out some of the "selective carb" plan choices, such as Protein Power. (can't think of the name of the other one off hand.) These types of plans can jumpstart you, but also incorporate fruits and lots of vegggies. Aside from getting your fiber from them, there is also flax seed and other things to make things like muffins out of...that you can enjoy on any diet.

Closed Thread