It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2006, 01:50 AM   #1
(female)

scottie_81 HB User
Question atkins diet

Hi there im new to the forum.

I really wanna try the atkins diet and i really dont know where to start. can anyone give me any information, i been searchin the net to find info and cant get any, i dont know where to start, wot to eat, etc. can someone please be kind and fill me in. thanks, lisa x

Old 01-06-2006, 04:14 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

anitak1982 HB User
Re: atkins diet

It will be two years in April that I began my WOE. (Way of life) Before you begin this remember it is for life. You cannot stop this diet or you will gain all the weight you lose and quickly. But this is true for any weight loss plan. Your success begins in your mind. You must not have the mindset that you are depriving yourself of something yummy but that it's not worth it. There are so many yummy alternatives that can substitute for other foods.

First and foremost you must get his book!!!!!! You must read this book!!!!!! Another good book is Protein Power. Go to the Goodwill, I have found quite a few here cheaper than new or borrow them from the library. Wow this one is full of so much information why low carb works. People fail from this because of misinformation. Atkins is not (no carb) but low carb. Basically it's not eating certain things. A good rule of thumb would be things that are white: White bread, flour, sugar, rice are a beginning. Another one is corn (think corn syrup). All these carbs turn to sugar in your body. This is true for diabetics as well. Atkins will NOT destroy your kidneys, ketosis is NOT dangerous there is no proof to these claims no matter what people will try and tell you.

There are websites that you can do a search for. I cannot tell you what they are but you must find them on your own. I have lost 50 pounds and my husband 80 and kept it off for over a year and still going strong. It is no hard.

It starts in your mind.

Last edited by anitak1982; 01-06-2006 at 04:16 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-06-2006, 05:47 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

pipermac HB User

Dont Do it. Atkins = Bad. Low carb diets are very bad for you. They are very hard on your organs. Any "Diet" or way of life that tells you that you can not eat certain types of food is not good. you should be able to eat anything you want to (In moderation of course) Please Research both sides of the Arguement before deciding to go on a low/no Carb diet such as atkins. Just because you can lose weight with it does not make it healthy.

Old 01-06-2006, 07:38 AM   #4
(female)

sammy726 HB User

I'd have to agree with pipermac. Atkins is one of the WORST diets out there! I tried it a year or so ago and I couldn't even get through the first week, I was so irritable and depressed, not to mention wanting to eat every carb in sight!! I've started "Somersizing" by Suzanne Somers and it's much less restrictive.

Old 01-06-2006, 07:51 AM   #5
(female)

330exGirlOrl HB User

It all boils down to 1 thing and 1 thing only....

Certain diets/lifestyles work better for certain people.

I have been on a low-carb/good-carb type diet for years and couldnt be happier. You dont "cut out" food groups, you just limit how much and what type of certain groups you eat. Same thing with a low fat diet, you dont cut out ALL fats, you just limit your intake and you limit what types of fats.

My suggestion:
Try the low carb style, if you dont like it, try something else. Find something that you can stick to and make a part of your lifestyle. Otherwise, it'll just continue to be a yo-yo style diet and we all know how those go, lol.

Old 01-06-2006, 08:18 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

pipermac HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330exGirlOrl
It all boils down to 1 thing and 1 thing only....

Certain diets/lifestyles work better for certain people.

I have been on a low-carb/good-carb type diet for years and couldnt be happier. You dont "cut out" food groups, you just limit how much and what type of certain groups you eat. Same thing with a low fat diet, you dont cut out ALL fats, you just limit your intake and you limit what types of fats.

My suggestion:
Try the low carb style, if you dont like it, try something else. Find something that you can stick to and make a part of your lifestyle. Otherwise, it'll just continue to be a yo-yo style diet and we all know how those go, lol.

Low Carb and Good Carb are two completely different things. Anything that has you restricting the amount of carbs amounts like 20grams or even 50 grams a day is not good.

It doesnt mean you wont lose weight...Its a matter of overall health.

Old 01-06-2006, 09:09 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

chevyman HB User

Do some reserch on this" Atkins" Diet before you decide.
Also check with your Dr and at least get his/her opinion.

I have to say, "Atkins" dieting is very very harsh, its very hard to do, I was doing "Atkins" for a while and after the induction phase, the weight starts coming off ,your body is changing it's in ketosis, burning fat/extracting fats.
You may feel bad for a few days, this is explain in his book.

You really and trully have to follow his book to the T...if you don't the diet won't work!
Not having any carbs in your diet for like 2 weeks is hard to do but the weight comes off/CLEARING out your cubbords refigerator getting rid of all the carbs in the house...ect,,ect....Learning to read food labels a the grocery store and the speciallity food stores.

The trouble I had was after bout 3 months I was getting (food depressed) was at a stand still for 3 or 4 weeks(plateau)) not loseing at all, he talks about what to do if that happens to you in his book....I tried what he said and nothing work...so I got more depressed and got off "Atkins" but I did feel better while I was on the diet (ain't that strange)... along with what happen to me during the diet and everyone telling me this is a bad diet for you nutrient wise> it scared me.

Go to the Amercian Heart Assy and read some of there meterial and then decide if "Atkins" is the way to go? you will be suprised...I'm not putting Atkins" down because this diet was very well reserch and you do lose the weight.

Actually I'm on a low carb med protein diet, but add a few more carbs and veggies but I learn to control my portions and along with exersise its working ok for me...if you eat bad carbs and not watch what you eat sure thats bad for you but if you watch what you eat in moderation and exercise, having a few carbs is ok....
The "Atkins" theory is if you don't consume the heavy carbs your metabolism changes and your not hungry, therefore you eat less if your not hungry and you can eat as much as you want and still lose the weight, but after a long term use of this diet, you need to think what its really doing to your body your heart especially...and you have to be on "Atkins" the rest of your life.

This is a controversal diet and of course this is just my opinon.
I don't want to discourage anyone from loseing weight, but I hope that a person can use a little common sense while dieting, read books see whats good and safe for you now and later in life.

In atkins book "Dr Atkins New Diet Revolution" he makes things seem sensable and clearfies it within reason, but a lot of it is just jargon to me..I don't understand it...so thats what help me make the decision to get off his diet.

Actually it is a good book to read because it educates you on what carbs are/calories/ how your body works during the metabloic process / has charts that break down the different food groups has calorie /carb charts and your daily intake of food.

Good Luck to you if you do get on "Atkins" ... maybe if you are excessively over weight "Atkins" maybe the way to go, but only until you can LOSE SOME WEIGHT get to where you can exercise and then maybe just go modfied low carb med protein control portion size.
Good Luck to you.

Last edited by chevyman; 01-06-2006 at 09:22 AM.

Old 01-06-2006, 09:19 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

pipermac HB User

Very Good Points Chevy!

It is important To Read things from both sides of the arguement before making a decision like this.

Old 01-06-2006, 09:42 AM   #9
Inactive
(female)

Robbo103 HB User

I tried atkins.....day four i was walking around like a zombie, with a headache...then later binged on a box of doughnuts.

I think changing your whole lifestyle is better. Atkins is not good.

Closed Thread