It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2006, 06:30 PM   #1
(female)

mummy2kaleb HB User
What exercise do you do over a week?

What exercise do you do over a week?

I've just started power walking for 40 mins a day 5 days a week. I'm interested in what other people do for exercise?

Thanks

Old 01-10-2006, 06:56 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

OutToLunch HB User
Re: What exercise do you do over a week?

I use an elliptical every day for an hour. It's a great way to start the day cause it wakes me up and energizes me.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-10-2006, 07:34 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

Robbo103 HB User

i do the treadmill for 30 minutes on an incline of 5.0

i also lift weights to tone arms.

Old 01-10-2006, 09:59 PM   #4
(female)

motovated HB User

I do the Eliptical for a hour a day and then I do aerobic classes 4 times a week and walk or bike the rest of the time. So I work out two hours a day but I am trying to lose weight other wise I would not do so much.

Old 01-10-2006, 10:15 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

chevyman HB User

Hello,
I ride a stationary bike for 30 min (hour is to long)...and go walking fast-pase swinging my arms back and forth for about 2 miles everyday, and I try sit -ups every night before bed not many mabye 15 or 20 right now,
just becarefull what other people do don't mean you should be doing it find a exercise thats good for you..I recommend walking if thats possible for ya.

Old 01-11-2006, 10:26 AM   #6
(female)

330exGirlOrl HB User

I use an elliptical 4 days a week for 25-35 minutes. Then I weight train 3-4 days a week.

Old 01-11-2006, 10:58 AM   #7
(female)

HBOGirl HB User

I alternate days between weight training and walking on the treadmill for 45 minutes.

Old 01-11-2006, 11:50 AM   #8
Inactive
(female)

Robbo103 HB User

I think i need to increase my workout, i have been "maintaining my same weight" for 2 weeks.

Old 01-11-2006, 12:46 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

whackedback HB Userwhackedback HB Userwhackedback HB User

I lift up 6 beers every night after work.

Actually, I do MWF on the treadmill (1 mile) and on SuTTh, I do walking in the therapy pool. Only about half a mile, but the resistance to move in any direction causes you to exert more. I do tone with arm weights on MWF, too.

wb

Old 01-11-2006, 01:41 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

StenoLady1 HB UserStenoLady1 HB User

My two 100+pound labs walk me almost every morning. We take the weekends off. We walk for about 45 minutes. I have no idea how many calories this burns with all the breaks to chat with neighbors and the dogs stopping constantly to sniff stuff, but I work up a real good sweat, feel great and invigorated throughout the day, and I've gone down 20+pounds and four dress sizes in six months. My dogs have toned up, as well. Vet will be happy, as one of the dogs he classified as obese and had high triglycerides (hmmm...what do they say about dogs and their owners?). Plus it's fun

I also use my body ball once or twice a week in the afternoons with a half-hour DVD if I'm feeling extra motivated.

Lysne

Old 01-12-2006, 06:32 AM   #11
(female)

Selene71 HB User

I walk to my health club, which is a mile away. I work out there 5-6 days a week on elliptical(20-30 minutes), treadmill high incline(30 minutes), and stationary bike(20 minutes). I also do a 45 minute Spinning class once a week, and I only warm up on the elliptical for 15 minutes beforehand.

Soon, I'll be adding in every day walks with the dog. She's just a puppy now, so I can't wait until she gets to the point where she NEEDS to be walked--that will keep me going!

Old 01-12-2006, 10:20 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

mjewell HB Usermjewell HB Usermjewell HB Usermjewell HB User

This is an interesting thread. Many of you seem to do moderate workouts...walking and stuff... and you seem to be having success losing weight with that. I always thought I had to do very intense exercise to lose any weight.

For example, I usually do an hour of hot yoga once or twice a week, at the gym 2 or 3 times a week doing 20 minutes of jogging on the treadmill then 20 on the elliptical, sometimes working in the boke for 40 mins total of cardio, then i usually also walk my dogs 3-4 times a week for about 20-30 mins.

I guess since I played soccer and danced in high school I felt like i always had to maintain a high level intensity just to stay where i am, let alone lose weight! What do you guys think? Can anyone lose weight doing moderate exercise (say walking 40 minutes 5 days a week plus maybe a yoga class here and there), even someone who was once an athlete and very fit??

Oh, I might also mention that I generally do not have success losing weight with my current program, although that could be that it is such high intensity I have a hard time doing it more than two or three times a week oftentimes.

Old 01-12-2006, 10:46 AM   #13
(female)

jimmielegs HB User

To lose a pound of weight, you need to create at 3,500 calorie deficet. imo, exercise alone won't get you much of a weight loss, but it WILL get some loss if you stick with it. Let's look at some stats. If you want to lose one pound per week, find some calorie-burning exercise that will burn 500 cals a day - or - you could burn 250 cals for, say, walking 45 minutes plus cut 250 cals per day from your diet.

imo, diet and exercise combined offer the best results. (Diet does not necessarily mean a severe cutback in cals; it just means, to me, that you eat a healthy mix of foods in reasonable quantities).

As to the original question, I go to Curves 3xweek and I walk 30-60 minutes on the other four days of the week. I lost about 50 pounds in 18 months and have kept it off for a year.

Old 01-12-2006, 12:28 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(male)

OutToLunch HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmielegs
To lose a pound of weight, you need to create at 3,500 calorie deficet. imo, exercise alone won't get you much of a weight loss, but it WILL get some loss if you stick with it. Let's look at some stats. If you want to lose one pound per week, find some calorie-burning exercise that will burn 500 cals a day - or - you could burn 250 cals for, say, walking 45 minutes plus cut 250 cals per day from your diet.
I know people are fond of saying that a calorie is just a calorie, but weight loss is rarely that simple. What you eat and when makes a huge difference. I learned this recently when I changed what I was eating. I was eating 2000 calories but not losing fat. Then I made some food substitutions and despite the fact that my caloric intake was higher than before, I started losing weight again. And before you say that I was just in starvation mode, keep in mind that I'm a 150 pound guy with a desk job who plays no sports so at 2000 calories, it's a safe bet that I wasn't in starvation mode. Calories do count, but don't let yourself fall into the trap of thinking that's all there is to weight loss.

I disagree that exercise will get you SOME weight loss. Exercise boosts your metabolism, either during or afterwards depending on the exercise. Of course it won't matter if you're eating too much.

Old 01-12-2006, 01:20 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(male)

chevyman HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutToLunch
I know people are fond of saying that a calorie is just a calorie, but weight loss is rarely that simple. What you eat and when makes a huge difference. I learned this recently when I changed what I was eating. I was eating 2000 calories but not losing fat. Then I made some food substitutions and despite the fact that my caloric intake was higher than before, I started losing weight again. And before you say that I was just in starvation mode, keep in mind that I'm a 150 pound guy with a desk job who plays no sports so at 2000 calories, it's a safe bet that I wasn't in starvation mode. Calories do count, but don't let yourself fall into the trap of thinking that's all there is to weight loss.

I disagree that exercise will get you SOME weight loss. Exercise boosts your metabolism, either during or afterwards depending on the exercise. Of course it won't matter if you're eating too much.
HI,
I AGREE WITH MOST ALL YOUR POST THEY MAKE SENSE, BUT IF YOUR ONLY 150 LBS, WHY ON EARTH DO YOU WANT TO LOSE? OR ARE YOU JUST ON MANTANCE?...SORRY TO BE SO NOSEY...

Closed Thread