It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2006, 01:52 PM   #1
Inactive
(male)

Berner HB User
Lightbulb Exercise 60-90 Minutes Every Day for Weight Loss

I see this issue come up so often on this board, and I see conflicting advice, so here's some information I thought I'd share:

According to the Department of Health and Human Services and the Department of Agriculture, for weight loss an adult should "participate in at least 60 to 90 minutes of daily moderate-intensity physical activity while not exceeding caloric intake requirements." To maintain current weight, an adult should "[e]ngage in approximately 60 minutes of moderate- to vigorous-intensity activity on most days of the week."

The source of this information is the Dietary Guidelines for Americans 2005 and it is available in its entirety at [url]http://www.healthierus.gov/dietaryguidelines/[/url] on the Internet. The Guidelines caution that some people may need to consult with a healthcare provider before participating in this level of activity.

Let me repeat that recommendation: for adults to lose weight, they should engage in at least 60-90 minutes of exercise every single day.

This is not Berner's home-grown advice. This is not some trendy new exercise program of the day. This is the decided opinion of the United States Government in a set of guidelines that experts spent five years preparing. And before you start with the jokes about the government (which I would probably agree with), remember that the government tends to be more conservative about health recommendations than any organization or expert I have ever seen.

So if you're trying to lose weight and wondering why 30 minutes on the treadmill three times a week doesn't seem to be helping, maybe this information will shed some light.

Last edited by Berner; 01-13-2006 at 01:55 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-13-2006, 04:28 PM   #2
(female)

HBOGirl HB User
Re: Exercise 60-90 Minutes Every Day for Weight Loss

I often wonder when a generic statement like this is made, they have an certain body type they are thinking of? If a person is fit, this may be a true statement, but if someone is significantly overweight, I don't think it's accurate. Even though this is the government's recomendation, every adult is different. I've worked out 45 to 60 minutes 6 days a week for the past 3 months and I've lost weight. I think it's more about the quality of exercising you do rather than the quantity. 30 minutes of slow walking isn't going to get you results, but 30 minutes of brisk walking where you actually work up a sweat will. That's just my opinion.

Last edited by HBOGirl; 01-13-2006 at 04:28 PM.

Old 01-13-2006, 04:46 PM   #3
(female)

s1mc7 HB User

personally, when it comes to weight loss i think that exercise only aids in weight loss...i dieted without exercise and lost 40lbs, that's how i came to my conclusion

Old 01-13-2006, 05:10 PM   #4
(female)

HBOGirl HB User

That's another reason why I think it's an individual situation because I've never lost more than five lbs by dieting. But when I excercise, the weight drops off.

Old 01-13-2006, 05:37 PM   #5
(female)

s1mc7 HB User

yep everyone's different..it's whatever works for that individual..you just need to keep trying until you find something that works

Old 01-13-2006, 09:30 PM   #6
Inactive
(male)

Berner HB User

I agree that, by definition, no generic statement is going to apply to everyone. While some individuals will have success with less exercise (especially if you eat very strictly and very clean) I posted this information because I feel that many people set their exercise goals way too low from the outset. I see recommendations like "30-45 minutes, three times a week" and it bothers me because for most people that duration and frequency of aerobic activity just isn't going to seriously contribute to weight loss goals. I also see people giving "warnings" about not exercising longer than 60 minutes, and its just plain bunk. Even the U.S. Government thinks that the average adult can manage 60-90 minutes every day as part of a healthy weight loss plan.

Last edited by Berner; 01-13-2006 at 09:33 PM.

Old 01-13-2006, 11:48 PM   #7
(male)

V6 Jeep 4x4 HB User

I agree in some respects that people wonder why they don't lose weight when they do 30 minutes 3 days a week. Thats just not enough.

I also laugh when people say that if you do more than an hour at a time of cardio, anything past that hour is useless. That is a joke as well.

Everyone is different though. I was 265-270 or so and couldn't do more than 30-45 minutes of cardio without feeling like I was going to pass out yet I lost a ton of weight because I was so big. Than I got down to 230 range and yes, I now had to up it to an hour a day of cardio and than proceeded to continue to lose.

now that I'm at 200-210 lbs, yes I would probably have to do at least an hour a day 5 or so days a week to lose anymore. It's a blanket statement that doesn't fit everyone but at least people can look at this and see why their exercise program may not be working. If it was as easy as 30 minutes a day 3 days a week, everyone would be doing it.

Old 01-14-2006, 03:53 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

starsofglass HB User

People who say that you shouldn't do more than 60 minutes AT A TIME are most likely referring to possibly burning more muscle after that period. 90 min is fine, but best divided over the day.

Also, a generic statement like that is nonsense, diet is very important too.

Old 01-14-2006, 10:15 AM   #9
Inactive
(male)

Berner HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by V6 Jeep 4x4
I also laugh when people say that if you do more than an hour at a time of cardio, anything past that hour is useless. That is a joke as well.
I would like to see evidence of this statement. I know that prolonged vigorous cardio will release cortisal and result in catabolization (burning muscle mass for fuel), but I seriously wonder if more than an hour of low- to moderate-intensity cardio has an adverse effect on muscle mass....

Old 01-14-2006, 12:08 PM   #10
(female)

Analysis1123 HB User

I disagree. You may lose it faster, but I go to the gym 3-4 times a week and do the ecliptical machine for 30 min each time and I've been steady losing 2-3 lbs per week. It depends on the person I think and their diet.

Closed Thread