It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2006, 02:37 AM   #1
(female)

JelyFysh HB User
Low Carb Diet Help

I need to lose weight fast. I've got 5 weeks to lose as much as possible. Is Low carb the way to go? SOmebody with experience please help. I'm about 30kg/70lbs overweight. I would appreciate some quick method. I will then go along with a healthy eating plan like WW once this event is over. Please help.

Old 01-20-2006, 05:59 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

Natalie00 HB User
Re: Low Carb Diet Help

A week of low carb could jump start a weight loss. Just make sure you eat big green salads along with meat, eggs, and cheese, because we still need our veggies A warning though: If you go reeeaaallly low carb (like less than 5 a day) you could have flu like symptoms as your body adjusts. When I did low carb I modified it: I still ate veggies and sugar free or no sugar added fudge pops. Still lost weight, just not as fast, and it's usually water weight anyways.

You might want to look into South Beach also. Phase 1 is a modified low carb.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-20-2006, 07:02 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

bluehen94 HB User

Its OK for 5 weeks, I would just cut out all carbs that are not veggies though.

Old 01-26-2006, 05:23 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

gladestrekker HB User

Excess calories (greater than what is burned) makes people fat, regardless of whether or not those excess calories come from fat or carbs. There are good things about the low carb diet, like cutting out simple sugars and consuming more fresh veggies. But, why is it that study after study show that those who are successful at weight loss (getting it off and keeping it off) or on low fat diets? And when I say low fat I mean no less than 20-25% of calories, which is reasonable. I know many people get turned off by "scientific research" and quotes that start with "Studies show...blah blah blah". But the fact is, without sound scientific evidence, there is nothing to base your claims upon. Low carb and low fat diets give you similar results over a 1-2 yr period (published in JAMA, 2004). But long term, beyond a couple years, low fat and regular physical activity wins out every single time.

Last edited by moderator2; 01-26-2006 at 07:29 AM.

Old 01-26-2006, 06:39 AM   #5

JerseyGirl36 HB User

Glade, you're misinformed. Ever hear of Syndrome X, Weight Loss Resistance, or Insulin Resistance?

Studies have explained the reason for weight loss with low carb diets. Low carb is not new. It's what athletes have done for years when trying to build muscle and get fit. But the diet industry sends the complete opposite and hugely ineffective message.

For the obese person, the low carb diet allows them to eat to satiety as opposed to being hungry because they're eating less (often the cause of low diet motivation). Protein leaves you full, where as with many carbs you can easily overeat and not notice it. The protein also generally prevents cravings. Ultimately, by exercising, particularly strength training, and eating a high protein diet, you can increase your muscle mass, boost your metabolism and lose weight.

Alternatively, low cal diets are a big problem that few acknowledge. When you reduce calories, you often clue your metabolism into starvation mode, causing your body to feed off its muscle mass, thereby reducing one's metabolism.

I speak of this from both medical expertise and personal experience. I bought into the eat less, move more theory myself, which is great for those who start from a point of eating junk and inactivity. But if you're like I was, an active obese person who ate moderate calories and made healthy choices, low cal was the beginning of further problems. I started at 345 at 5'6, quite obese, got down to 268, and in less than 2 months regained 30 pounds while still monitoring my calories but allowing for carbs. Big mistake. An ideal diet to lose weight for the obese is low carb. When the weight is off, your metabolism will be better activated and you can only then manage moderate carbs.

Old 01-26-2006, 06:43 AM   #6

JerseyGirl36 HB User

Hair loss results from the caloric shock and inefficient protein amounts.

Last edited by moderator2; 01-26-2006 at 07:29 AM.

Old 01-26-2006, 07:35 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JelyFysh
I need to lose weight fast. I've got 5 weeks to lose as much as possible. Is Low carb the way to go? SOmebody with experience please help. I'm about 30kg/70lbs overweight. I would appreciate some quick method. I will then go along with a healthy eating plan like WW once this event is over. Please help.
My honest answer after 18 months of strict Atkins...NO, low carb is NOT the way to go for either a quickkie diet of 5 weeks or a long one of 5 years. Even veterans of low carb who still adhere to the plan will tell you the 5 week crash diet is a dreadful idea that will probably result in an overall fatter you.

Old 01-26-2006, 07:57 AM   #8

JerseyGirl36 HB User

True, mentally it's a set up for failure because you're expecting big results, when 2lb per week should be the focus...but it can be achieved.

Try this:

-Use fit day.com or software to map out your program.
-Determine caloric needs
-Track intake daily, stay within your realm
-Create a failsafe environment
-Know your pitfalls and have a ready-made alternative (mine is candy, so I keep diabetic candy in the house. Go Lightly is great, for instance; I also like to snack, so I keep protein ready made for that purpose)
-Create exercise plan of 3 days strength 3 days aerobic, 1 hour minimum

In 5 weeks you can expect to lose 10 lbs, but since you'd just be starting out, you might lose as much as 30, which would put you well onto your way toward your goal and putting your best face foward by your "deadline".

Just don't tell yourself it's a diet, create a lifestyle you will choose to consistently maintain.

Old 01-26-2006, 08:35 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

pipermac HB User

Jersey...You are still abit Misinformed as well.

Atkins (Low Carb) Still Primarily works because the people on it still eat less calories then they consume. This has also been shown in many studies. what has also been shown in many studies is that a large percentage of the weight loss that comes off initailly from Low Carb is Muscle. the Process of putting your body into Ketosis is very hard on the body and will use Muscle for Energy. Once in ketosis The muscle loss is not as as bad. But a big problem many people have...is that they go off the diet for a period of time and Keep going through the induction phase to get them back going. Consistantly going through Induction is not good for the body.

Also I believe you are completely Wrong about Atheletes Using Low Carb. In fact it is quite the opposite. Most Atheletes Eat High Carb....They Need the Carb for energy. I big side effect of Low Carb is Low energy.

This is My Understanding.....Just because you/we have read a study does not make it accurate. Choosing Whic Side to believe is a difficult choice. My Belief is generally to avoid Low Carb Diets unless it is a last resort and nothing else has worked. as if one is obese, Losing Excess Weight will probaly Out weigh the risks of Low Carb Dieting.

Old 01-26-2006, 09:38 AM   #10

JerseyGirl36 HB User

Not just read a study, am in medical field. And your interpretation that low carb=ketosis is also incorrect. Presuming I'm talking about Atkins is also off.

You're wrong about the eating less theory with Atkins, it actually bears out that they eat 300-400c more. You can be 300 lbs and try to lose and end up not losing on a low cal diet of 1800c and eat a low carb diet of 2400c and actually lose.

Talk to endocrinologists and body builders and it will bare out what I've said.

Old 01-26-2006, 10:08 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(male)

chevyman HB User

I personally think low carb hi protein dieting is a dangerous diet in years ahead....read up on the Amercian heart Asso.

I had a friend that went on the "Atkins Diet" '(" Dr Atkins new diet Revolution") and he lost fast and slimed up...was looking good he mention to me he was never hungry felt better, acid reflex was gone ect,,ect,,......so I tried it...bought the Atkins books ect,,ect,,,went into the induction phase the whole nine yards....everything was fine I did this diet to the book and after bout 3 months lost 31lbs (humm pretty good)....then it just stop the weight just stop? in his book it says when this happens get off the diet for 2 weeks then get back on....I tried that and that did not work.
I use to think that a low carb med lean protein diet was the way to go,but not anymore after doing more and more reserch.

I don't agree with this to a certain point..
Dr Atkins says "when you control carbohydrate consumption sufficiently, your body will switch from burning glucose derived from carbohydrate,to burning primarily fat as its energy source" thats true for certain people but it just did not work for me.
..then I got word that Dr Atkins died....boy I got off that diet faster than a cat on a hot tin roof.

I got to thinking and after all his reserch( Dr Atkins) that this diet was not for me. To me just to much fats in that diet...I know he explains just how that fat is extracted from the body through metobolic process and how your body uses fuel to burn calories ect,,,ect...keeping your body in a ketosis state rather or not in large moderate or small trace...I have to agree with pipermac..its just not healthy for your body.

This type of dieting may help "jump start"?? but if you are over weight just come to the reality that you need to lose the weight for your ownself and no body else...and get books to read on how to and what foods and how nuch of those foods you can intake ona daily basis to lose weight.
Its not eazy to lse weight obvioulsy but if your going to lose weight you need to do it in a safe way for your body to adjust...you not only look better but you feel better health wise and to me thats the most important thing bout loseing weight

Eating carbs is ok or what you eat... if you eat in moderation, food is good, most good foods are not bad for you...if you eat senseably.

It all goes back to how much you eat...and for the 50% or more living in the good old USA we just eat way to much...why? because we love food we eat that food...then we get overweight and cry in our own sorrow.

Last edited by chevyman; 01-26-2006 at 10:57 AM.

Old 01-26-2006, 10:36 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(male)

pipermac HB User

Well...i am Diabetic and I see an Endocrinologist on a regular basis. His Office even runs a Lifestyle and Metabolism Clinic to Help People Lose weight and keep it off. Much Of my information comes from him and his office.

But I will say pretty much all articles that I have read state that when comparing Atkins/LowCarb Diets to Regular well balance diets that in the Long haul they both work out about the same weightloss wise and that In the induction phase much of the weigh lost was muscle.

Old 01-26-2006, 10:58 AM   #13
Veteran
(female)

anitak1982 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl36
Not just read a study, am in medical field. And your interpretation that low carb=ketosis is also incorrect. Presuming I'm talking about Atkins is also off.

You're wrong about the eating less theory with Atkins, it actually bears out that they eat 300-400c more. You can be 300 lbs and try to lose and end up not losing on a low cal diet of 1800c and eat a low carb diet of 2400c and actually lose.

Talk to endocrinologists and body builders and it will bare out what I've said.
Thank you JerseyGirl. I have been doing low carb for almost 2 years. I love this WOE! You are so right. Again Thank you for your words of wisdom.
My Doctor loves the fact we do low carb and he has never said one word against it. In fact he says this works but only if your committed to it.

Last edited by anitak1982; 01-26-2006 at 11:00 AM.

Old 01-26-2006, 11:14 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

auntjudyg HB User

Where is it that they find the people for these studies? There are a number of very active low carb boards around the net with lots of people who have taken off significant amounts of weight and kept it off for years.

Old 01-26-2006, 11:43 AM   #15

JerseyGirl36 HB User

I usually find that those who don't agree with low carb diets:
-think all low carb=living on Atkins Induction (big misconception and previous poster gave a good explanation why)
-all low carb=no fruit (not true)
-have never been overweight at all or more than 50 lbs overweight and therefore never dealt with weight loss resistance
-have no knowledge of weight induced metabolic disorders
-had terrible habits to begin with (junk food and inactivity) that when fixed lost weight easily
-do not understand the medical reasons fat keeps you fat and getting fatter
-do not understand the role of hunger and satisfaction with diet failure

These people come to it from a what worked for me works for everybody attitude, not from a why can't this fat person lose weight perspective.

I'm not talking about foods being bad, I don't believe anything is. I do believe everything in moderation. But if you're seriously overweight 80-150 lbs+, I guarantee you low carb will work. It's simple eat only what God provides (produce and protein) and limit man's intervening with foods. You can have carbs (fruits) but should make sure they're complex carbs only and limit starches in general. You can then have fat (dairy and fats like oil and butter) and have flavor to your food. You should avoid anything in a box (LOL), processed foods are laden with bad fats, sugars and sodium.

Don't think it's true? Then how DO you explain a 350 lb woman who ate 1500-1800c low fat and exercised regularly and could not lose weight? Why when she ate protein and produce until satisfaction, tracked those calories and was eating more in calories, the weight melted off? (Answer: The protein was optimized by exercise allowing muscle and therefore metabolism to increase. In addition, the protein kept her full, plus she never craved other foods and was therefore able to maintain the diet for full weight loss.

Calories matter, but where they come from matters more.

Think about all those people having weight loss surgery. Did you know that they're recommended to follow a low carb diet after surgery?

Closed Thread