It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2006, 04:13 AM   #1
(female)

samizzle79 HB User
Thumbs up More Calories, Less Carbs?

Is it true that when you eat more calories but less carbohydrates you will lose weight? And if so, why? Do carbs have that much of an impact on a diet?

Old 02-08-2006, 04:41 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

pipermac HB User
Re: More Calories, Less Carbs?

there is not a simple answer to this. Some people (Low Carbers) will swear that yes this is absolutely true. Some People Think that Carbs will immediately be stored as fat. I believe this to be false.

Technically you can eat more calories in protein then you can in Carb or Fat. This is because Protein has a bigger thermic effect. meaning that It takes more Calories to digest protein then it does Carb or Fat.protein can have upt to a thermic effect of 30, meaning protein can burn upt to 30% of its claories digesting, while Carb and Protein I believe havce a thermic effect of about 5. so if you compare 100 calories of protein to 100 of carb the protein will have a net result of up to 70 and Carb up to 95 (Thermic effect is different for different foods) soTechnically you can eat more calories in protein then carb or fat and still lose the same weight. How much more is another question. This depends on your protein intake as it is now. If you are currently eating little to no protein adding protein can have a big effect. If you already consume a good amount of protein then you cant Increase it by as much and you wont have as much of effect.

Last edited by pipermac; 02-08-2006 at 04:41 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-08-2006, 05:28 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by samizzle79
Is it true that when you eat more calories but less carbohydrates you will lose weight? And if so, why? Do carbs have that much of an impact on a diet?
No it is most emphatically not true.

People on a low carb diet that is low in calories lose weight. Those with an extraordinarily high fat intake and thus high caloric intake GAIN weight.
That's why all the former cream and cheese eaters now have severe restrictions on these kinds of food. Every Atkins edition lowered the allowed amount of these high calorie food...but never gave a reason other than something silly like "some people may do better if cream is restricted to 2 Tbsp a day" or "We have found that consuming more than 4 ounces of cheeese a day may slow weight loss for most people"....that's calorie control whether or not the truthful phrase is ever actually uttered.

Last edited by Lenin; 02-08-2006 at 05:32 AM.

Old 02-08-2006, 06:18 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

pipermac HB User

for the most part I completely agree with lenin. that is why In my Post I Used the term "Technically" The reality of it is in question.

Weight Loss Still comes down to calories in vs Out. This equation never changes. In - Out = Gain/loss. What Changes is the Values. The Problem is is that it is easy to measure the In but the out can only be estimated. a Diet that is 100% Protein compared to a diet that is 100% Carb will Theoretically have a Higher Out value because of thermic effect. But there are other factors, If you are not getting enough carbs you are prone to be tired and sluggish you are likely to not be as active..thus your out value will go down.

You also cant discount the fact that protein will make you feel more full (Most of the time) which can cause you to eat less. Your best bet is to Eat a Well Balanced Diet, Cut down on "BAD" Carbs (Processed,High Sugar) and replace with good carbs.

It may help to understand what your body does with the Food you eat.

Carbs are Broken down into Glucose, The Glucose is then used to provide immediate energy, whats left will be tried to be stored in glycogen for future use as energy. If Glycogen is full the remainder will be stored as fat. Carb will only be stored as fat if glycogen is full. The Average person can store 1500-2000 calories of glucose in glycogen.

Fats are broken down into fatty acids, the body will use what it needs and whatever is left over will be stored as fat for future use.

Proteins will get broken down into amino acids, the Body uses what it needs and whatever is leftover will either be converted to glucose and go through the same process as carbs or it will be stored as fat. A 200lb person only needs about 130g (520 cal) of protein a day, any more then this will be broken down and stored in glycogen or fat.

One of the Big Myths of Low Carb Diets and Carbs in general is that they will raise insulin levels and insulin will caused them to be stored as fat right away. The Truth is that your body is Storing Fat and Burning fat all the time, this process rarely stops. As long as you are burning more then you are storing then you will lose weight.

In Low Carb diets like Atkins they say it works better because it forces the body to burn fat for energy and thus burns more fat. This is partly true. The Body is burning more fat, but it is also Storing more fat. Fat and Protein will be stored as fat more easily then Carbs will. Since a Low Carber is exceeding the intake of fat and protein that the body uses it will store the excess as fat. but since there is very little carb for the body to use for energy the body then burns that fat.

Old 02-08-2006, 06:21 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

pipermac HB User

Lenin, you can correct me if I made any mistakes.

Old 02-08-2006, 07:36 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

auntjudyg HB User

Quote:
Is it true that when you eat more calories but less carbohydrates you will lose weight?
Not necessarily. Individual differences come into play. To begin with, low carb regimes seemingly don't work for everyone. Also, it depends how many more calories, precisely how many fewer carbohydrates, what types of carbohydrate-laden food, what one is eating otherwise. It's certainly not as simple as adding more calories but cutting out carbs willy-nilly.

Quote:
And if so, why?
Low carb plans take one of two approaches - some aim at putting the body into a state called ketosis; others aim at avoiding production of excess insulin.

Quote:
Do carbs have that much of an impact on a diet?
Carbs, protein and fat all have an impact on diet.

Old 02-08-2006, 08:23 AM   #7
Inactive
(female)

Natalie00 HB User

Samizzle79-
There are people who think ketosis is safe and those who do not. First, you should realize what ketosis is:
Ketosis occurs whenever the body lacks a sufficient supply of carbohydrates, a prime source of energy. During ketosis, carbohydrate-depleted metabolisms turn to other sources, including ketones from stored fat or protein, to satisfy daily energy needs.

It is important to understand the side effects of ketosis.
It can cause dehydration, constipation, imparied cognitive functioning, and bad breathe. If it continued for a long time, your liver and kindeys could be damaged. People who adhere to a strick low carb diet (meaning eggs, cheese, meat, fish, fats) can go into ketosis on and off. People with kidney disease should NOT go into ketosis.

And..something new I found out,Ketosis may damage LDL ("bad") cholesterol, making it more likely to stick to artery walls and increasing the risk of a heart attack

Last edited by Natalie00; 02-08-2006 at 08:32 AM.

Old 02-08-2006, 01:28 PM   #8
(female)

samizzle79 HB User

I know that you must burn more calories than you take in to lose weight, but for a 1500cal/day person, how are they able to burn that much in one day?

Old 02-08-2006, 01:35 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

pipermac HB User

your body will Burn usually at least 1500 calories a day just by doing absoolutely nothing

Old 02-08-2006, 01:45 PM   #10
(female)

samizzle79 HB User

interesting. after actually understanding the concept of calories in vs. valories out i always wondered how people were able to get out all of those calories! Is there a way you can find out how many calories you loose per day w/o exercise?

Old 02-08-2006, 02:08 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(male)

chevyman HB User

I have a question this may be in the wrong post? but I'll ask it here.

I went to see my Dr yesterday (reg check-up) I told him I was dieting ect,ect,,,he knows I need to lose some weight anyway.
I got a good check-up great bloodpresure, good cholesterol HDL was good 145, but my bad LDL was 40..he said thats not to bad but a little exercise would bring up that number?...and heres the kicker what I don't understand? he told me to start taking some fish-oil capsules? or eat more fish baked perferd?
what does fish oil do?

Old 02-08-2006, 04:19 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(male)

pipermac HB User

Quote:
interesting. after actually understanding the concept of calories in vs. valories out i always wondered how people were able to get out all of those calories! Is there a way you can find out how many calories you loose per day w/o exercise?
do a search for BMR...you can get an estimate that way.

Closed Thread