It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-14-2006, 11:03 PM   #1
(female)

CaliGirl19 HB User
Question Atkins diet....YES or NO?

Has anyone tried the atkins diet and did it work for you? Everyone I've ever talked to that has tried it said It worked very well and they also felt more energy. For anyone who's tried it or is on it, how long did it take to start dramatically losing weight? Any info would be appreciated!!

Old 02-14-2006, 11:38 PM   #2
(female)

k8ty HB User
Thumbs up Re: Atkins diet....YES or NO?

YES! lol

but really, I don't do "Atkins" but I do eat low carb, mostly natural foods, I feel great, and I've lost over 10 lbs in a little over a month (with a couple cheats lol). A bit of a warning: this is not a "diet", and I think once anybody who's serious about getting healthy, not just losing weight, will thrive on this high fat, moderate protein, low carb diet.

Please read the book, or do some research on all the different types of LC diets out there...there are soooooooo many to choose from (although I do think Atkins is the most straight-forward and easiest to follow). Get his book, dr atkins new diet revolution (dandr), read it cover-to-cover, and I'm sure you'll be convinced that it is a great WOE

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-15-2006, 06:02 AM   #3
(female)

betterkas HB User
Re: Atkins diet....YES or NO?

I could never go low-carb, so this is not from personal experience. But, I have several close friends and family members who went on Atkins and they did, in fact, lose a lot of weight pretty quickly. The problem is that for each one of them, the diet was so hard to maintain that they not only gained the weight back, but gained additional weight that they didn't have before! So unless you are willing to make this something for the rest of your life, I wouldn't do it. I would watch my calories and exercise. It's a slower process, but realistic for the long term. Make sure you don't just read the book, but do your research on very low carb dieting so you can see what the effects are and how feasible it would be for you.

Good luck!

Old 02-15-2006, 06:05 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

I think a high fat diet is a recipe for heart disease...ask Atkins.

I tried it for nearly two years and it's success or failure depends solely on the amount of calories one eats. Abuse the fats and you'll gain weight.

(And you'll spend every waking day craving something like PASTA!)

Weight loss is dramatic only in the first two weeks of complete carohydrate deprivation when the body loses lots of water that is tied up with glycogen (3/4 water) in the muscles and liver. The diet cost me a good deal of muscle masss which was one of the worst aspects of low carbbing.

Then I stalled at a 24 pound loss for 5 months. Seeing the scale remain constant all that time while I ate only 50 grams of carbs a day was beyond bearing. That's when I'd finally had enough and started counting calories...and enjoying LASAGNA!
My weight loss resumed.

So for me it's a LOUD: ATKINS, NO!

Last edited by Lenin; 02-15-2006 at 06:33 AM.

Old 02-15-2006, 09:42 AM   #5
(female)

AllysHeart HB User

ATKINS- YES from me. I've been following it for about 2 years. I lost 25 lbs. comfortably. I have no problems sticking to the diet, as it's agreeable with me. I lost 7 lbs. in 2 weeks, and the weight kept coming off.

I bought the Atkins book and cookbook and followed it to the tee for about a year. My weight went from 138 to 113, and at 113 I decided not to lose anymore. I was a size 8, bursting at the seams, and I went down to a size 1 or 2.

I was able to continue exercising without any problems with my energy level.

I am going to maintain my weight at 118, as that seems to be where my body tends to be, which is comfortable for me.

About once a week, my husband I go out to eat, and we like buffets. I treat myself to small portions of mashed potatoes, a few bites of bread, and any dessert I desire. Our occasional meals at the buffets do not affect my weight.

I would tell you to read how to do the Atkins diet and try it for a couple of months. I'd say you can't go wrong if you decide it's agreeable to you. You won't have to do it forever, if you care to eventually simply decrease caloric and fat intake to maintain the weight you desire.

Good luck!

Old 02-15-2006, 10:52 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

chevyman HB User

NO,
I did atkins'' for a while after the induction phase I did feel better I admitt that,
but after being on it for 10 months and 30 lbs lost and got to a pleatu, I did the diet just like the book suggested...off back on ect,,ect,, nothing worked for me..I was tired at looking at the scales and nothing.... some times gained.
thats depressing.
and when you go by the book eat things correct and nothing seems to help and watching your carbs is not an eazy thing to do anyway.

I don't know bout the atkins diet? maybe it is a good diet for some? but I don't think it was a diet for me..I got tired of eating all them fats beacon, eggs, cheese pork rinds, unflour meats.

I was sure surprised at all the foods that have carbs in them the gram of carbs is almost over whelming to say the least, just about everything has grams of carbs in it and when your carbs are being limited to just 40 grams a day and even 80..thats a hard thing and I just got tired of stressing out about this so called''controsaval'' diet.

so I got off.
I count calories and I'm currently on a 1500 daily count and I been loseing approx 2 to 5 lbs weekly...and I'm less stress..it takes a little to get use to but any diet you do, you have to get use to it.

Atkins I could not get use to even tho I gave it my best.

No in my opinion on Atkins.
I understand ''Atkins'' has modefied this diet sinse ''Dr Atkins'' passed away...that should tell you something there.

Old 02-15-2006, 02:05 PM   #7
(female)

CaliGirl19 HB User

Thanks for the information everyone! I'm really debating on the atkins diet, because once I start on it I'm going to stick to it for at least 3 months. It's gonna be hard because half the stuff they tell you to eat I don't even like, I much rather have vegetables,pasta, and fruit over meat/eggs and stuff like that. I don't see what trying it for a lil while would hurt though, I'm very curious to see if it works for me, but it defenetely won't be a lifetime thing I do. Also, Lets hope any unwanted weight doesn't come back, I would hate that!! If this doesn't work, I'll try the counting calories everyday.

Old 02-15-2006, 05:25 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

6foot3 HB User

I did it for health reasons to restore Blood sugar and just ''BONKED'' terribly..Forget lifting weights and cardio , i could barely even do my job at work just no energy. Ive seen on some atkins sites that have Body Builders that thrive on it and thats fine but it just didn't cut it for me... Thats my two cents worth !

Old 02-16-2006, 06:36 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

auntjudyg HB User

Looking at carbohydrates rather than calories is what FINALLY worked for me. Personally, I think Atkins is too restrictive. Some swear it is the ONLY thing that has worked for them. But there are many low-carb plan that allow more carbohydrates than Atkins.

In any event, I would suggest reading several of the plans for an explanation of why this approach works for some people. See whether you think it rings true for you. And if it does you might get a better idea about what sorts of long term changes might be in order.

Old 02-16-2006, 07:35 AM   #10
Veteran
(female)

anitak1982 HB User

For two years I have been on Atkins and love it. Love the fact that I can eat anything I want and never gain a pound. After a while you no longer want the high carb items because you realize they are just not worth it.

I eat everything except things that are naturally white: which is of course, potatoes, rice, sugar etc. I lost 45 pounds and kept it off. My husband was nearing 300 pounds and lost 90 pounds. We eat like pigs and never count calories.

I went to Applebees and got the "take two" which was two sirloin steaks and got the mixed veges and brocolli. Wonderful! Often I get their regular wings (bone in) as they are Atkins friendly. The classic sauce have nearly no carbs as does chicken of course that isn't breaded. Blue cheese dressing is legal too.

I make probably 3 cheesecakes a week with using Walnuts for the crust and splenda for the sugar. There is so much one can eat on this. But it is not a diet one can go on just to lose the weight as once you start eating high carbs the weight will come back on quickly. But this could be said for any person who is watching their weight and suddenly stop.

Read the book!!!!!! Do searches on the internet. There are low carb forums you can go to that you can ask any questions to help you on your way.

Old 02-16-2006, 07:38 AM   #11
Veteran
(female)

anitak1982 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliGirl19
Thanks for the information everyone! I'm really debating on the atkins diet, because once I start on it I'm going to stick to it for at least 3 months. It's gonna be hard because half the stuff they tell you to eat I don't even like, I much rather have vegetables,pasta, and fruit over meat/eggs and stuff like that. I don't see what trying it for a lil while would hurt though, I'm very curious to see if it works for me, but it defenetely won't be a lifetime thing I do. Also, Lets hope any unwanted weight doesn't come back, I would hate that!! If this doesn't work, I'll try the counting calories everyday.
If this is not a lifetime thing then find a different way to lose weight. You can do it if you watch your portions or count calories. But low carb is not a "diet" but a lifestyle change.

Old 02-16-2006, 08:14 AM   #12
(female)

BeachLvr58 HB User

The latest book on Atkins is all about healthy carbs and eating leaner cuts of meats. As for the people that like to comment about Atkins dying of heart disease they obviously do not know the real reason he died. He slipped on ice and died later of complications of head injuries.

Anywho, I do not do atkins I do eat low carb and eat only lean cuts of meats and fish and I do eat veggies and small amount of fruit. I have lost a whole size in 3 weeks. I feel great and I have always worked out so I need my carbs my good crabs. I cut out whole wheat pasta and bread until next week I will start incorporating more whole grain pasta and bread in moderation but I am quite satisfiied and eat a ton more food than before. I can do this the rest of my life but I don't want to get as thin as Nicole Ritchie so I best be careful . If you go to the low carb forums out there and see the dramatic pics of the before and after it is astonishing. I do say keep it healthy though do not load up on bad fats..keep it clean and it's a great meal plan.

Old 02-17-2006, 07:15 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

Atkins' heart stopped exactly a year before he died. He fell over in his office surrounded by doctors on the Atkins staff and was resuscitated. He was whisked off quietly to a suburban hospital where he lay for 3 days til a staff member blew the whistle to reporters. Then Atkins spokemen concocted one story after another IN PUBLIC before finally settling on a diagnosis of a heart attack caused by cardiomyopathy caused by some virus or bacteria from a visit to some "far off land" many years ago (the story changed depending on who was interviewing whom.) Even Atkins got confused at one time saying he had a viral infection that caused his myopathy and on another occasion he referred to a BACTERIAL infection (I heard both.) A "layman" might make a mistake like that but for a cardiologist to do it is impossible unless getting tied up in his own lies!

What they always agreed to was cardiomyopathy. The chances of a cardiomyopathy sufferer surviving for more than a year after his heart has stopped ONCE is very close to zero...look it up.
Exactly one year later he was found dead on a New York sidewalk outside his office. He was put on a ventilator and it was turned off a week later. His treatment was entirely under the direction of Atkins affiliated doctors.

The New York MEDICAL EXAMINER reported the body brought to him was that of an obese man (258 pounds) suffering the effects of long-term hypertension, and coronary heart disease. Too bad the coroner wasn;t on the Atkins staff.

The ice was immaterial. Even if one BELIEVES the silly "slipped on the ice story" the fact is that Atkins was a "dead man walking." The most likely to be true scenario is that his heart stopped AGAIN...and he fell over...AGAIN. Had he not fallen that day, then a week later some other sillinesss would have been invented for his collapse...which was inevitable...tripped over a gum wrapper perhap?

Even if you believe the rather implausible ice fantasy, Atkins had a ruined heart, high blood pressure, and was obese before he left his office.
This after a presumed 30 years on THE ATKINS DIET!

In memoriam: ATKINS ASSOCIATES declared bankrupcty last year and the number of people still on the diet has dribbled off to a tiiny portion of those during it's heyday.
Another diet fad down the tubes.

Good riddance to a dangerous diet.

Last edited by Lenin; 02-17-2006 at 07:30 AM.

Old 02-17-2006, 10:21 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

auntjudyg HB User

Okay, okay, I can't fight it any longer . . . let's really get into the conspiracies . . . (I don't discount them all, I really don't; and I do wish an autopsies had been performed.)

But, IF it is true that he died of clogged arteries from following his own diet . . . wouldn't he as a cardiologist have known that plague was building up long before the arteries got clogged? wouldn't he have been monitoring it, heck, forget because he was a cardiologist, but if nothing else, to protect his financial interests (which some believe is the only reason for the diet in the first place)? wouldn't he then have changed his eating habits (who really would have known whether he was following it or not) to reap the benefits of his money-making theory longer? A conspiracy has to make some sense, or I just don't buy it. It's like meat and dairy lobbyists saying not to consume commercial meat and dairy products. Nope . . . you've lost me. I can go along with some pretty Byzantine labyrinths of connections, but ultimately it's got to make some kind of sense. (BTW, I have problems with the "official" story, too. But I also don't think the cause of death was even indirectly related to his diet plan.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenin
Atkins' heart stopped exactly a year before he died. [. . .] What they always agreed to was cardiomyopathy. The chances of a cardiomyopathy sufferer surviving for more than a year after his heart has stopped ONCE is very close to zero...look it up.
I don't know about this incident in the suburban hospital. I DO happened to have two independent sources about some aspects of Atkins' medical condition. One I can't absolutely attest to the reliability. One is impeccable, believe me. Atkins' care, in general, was NOT carried out only by Atkins affiliated doctors. He had been in treatment for the heart condition 5 or 6 years, at least, before he died (absolutely not by an Atkins affiliated doctor). So, I don't know . . . you can suffer from cardiomyopathy for several years before the heart stops and then you have one year to live? (I don't know; I'm asking.)

In any event, even if he had cardiomyopathy, the cause of that is generally not attributed to diet. The usual mainstream prediction for people following Atkins' plan is that they will develop arteriosclerosis.

Also, that's quite some coincidence that he died exactly one year after his heart allegedly stopped? Don't you think? And that it happened on a day when the sidewalks of NYC, very uncharacteristically, WERE extremely icy.

Quote:
The New York MEDICAL EXAMINER reported the body brought to him was that of an obese man (258 pounds) [. . .]
So you don't buy the official explanation, I guess.

Quote:
[. . .] suffering the effects of long-term hypertension, and coronary heart disease.
I'd love to know how the coroner examining a dead body decided it was suffering the effects of LONG-TERM hypertension. (They could SPECULATE, yes.)

Quote:
Atkins had a ruined heart, high blood pressure, and was obese before he left his office.
Do you have confirmation of the obesity thing? Or the high blood pressure? (And he was going TO his office.)

Quote:
This after a presumed 30 years on THE ATKINS DIET!
I'm so glad you said "presumed".

On another matter, Lenin, it just can't be good for one's health to be excessively cynical.

Old 02-17-2006, 05:51 PM   #15
Inactive
(female)

Natalie00 HB User

Dr. Atkins did weigh 258 pounds when he died, but he weighed 195 pounds when admitted to the hospital. According to one doctor, the additional weight gain was caused by swelling and bloating when his organs failed, which caused him to gain 60 pounds while in a coma.

His arteries were also relatively clear.

Although I am not a an atkins diet fan, I have to admit I doubt that his condition was related to his diet.

Closed Thread