It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-26-2006, 06:58 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User
"Butter" without guilt

I have found my perfect diet aid.
I have always craved butter but despised (wisely it now seems) the taste of margerine.
For heart reasons, I've chosen not to eat butter anymore and haven't for a couple years.

I have the ideal substitute. It's called SMART BEAT, a canola-water whip with few enough trans-fats for the government to allow the use of the term ZERO TRANS FATS.
The real nicety for someone like me who is counting calories for years is that it's only 20 calories per tablespoon comapred to all the other spreads that go for 80-100 calories.
And it tastes good.

Now I can have delicious rolls when hungry without the guilt of all the calories from the grease I spread on...I'd almost forgotten how delicious a freshly baked roll can taste.

If you are watching your calories pick up some in you supermarket if they carry it. It's two 8 ounce tubs from anywhere between $.99 and $1.49. It's made by the same people that make the higher calorie SMART BALANCE (at 4 times the amount of calories.)

Its only disadvantage is that it is of no use for cooking...it never melts !

Last edited by Lenin; 02-26-2006 at 06:59 AM.

Old 02-26-2006, 03:26 PM   #2
(female)

Kathy C HB User
Re: "Butter" without guilt

Land o lakes makes one too. I don't have all the sepcs on it but we used to get it alot and it is called I can't believe its not Butter. From one who used to eat butter by the spooonfulls that is a good second.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-27-2006, 04:42 AM   #3

JerseyGirl36 HB User

Butter isn't bad. It's a monounsaturated fat. You need good fats in your diet. Granted, you have to watch calories, but butter is fine in small doses.

Old 02-27-2006, 07:26 AM   #4
(female)

Bee21 HB User

I found something very similar to what you have found....but it is a butter spray type thing...it tastes like real butter but it has no calories and very little fat if any...I cant believe it is not butter spray!! it is great

Old 02-27-2006, 08:05 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

chevyman HB User

I use ''promise light'' it taste great and only bout 45 calories per Tbsp, which I only use about half that if that? although it is 35% vegetable oil spread...it taste better to me than most other butter'/margarine.

my Dr has advise me to start taking ''fish oil'' softgel tablets about 1000 mg 2 to 3 times a day for a dietary supplement, because when you diet you may be over doing it or underdoing it with the fats? the fish oil tablets is a good healthy choice with omega-3 fatty acids when your counting low calories.

Old 02-27-2006, 09:12 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

chevyman HB User

Lenin,
I'll have to try that, sounds good to me...thanks for that info.

Last edited by chevyman; 02-27-2006 at 09:15 AM.

Old 02-28-2006, 06:27 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl36
Butter isn't bad. It's a monounsaturated fat. You need good fats in your diet. Granted, you have to watch calories, but butter is fine in small doses.

No, it really isn't.
In a 100 gram serving of butter there are 81 grams of fat. Of the 81 grams of fat, 51 grams are SATURATED (63%.) Only 21 grams (26%) are monounsaturated oils.
Thus it's far more accurate to view butter as a SATURATED FAT!

Old 02-28-2006, 07:40 AM   #8

JerseyGirl36 HB User

You're right, that's what I meant to say. But of a choice between margerine, diet spreads, and butter, the latter two are the best options and butter can fill your need for fat in your diet, therefore is what I choose.

Old 03-15-2006, 05:29 AM   #9
(male)

gambrels HB User

Brummel & Brown is a yogurt-based butter substitute. Has the consistency of margarine, but the flavor is creamier like butter. Not sure how the fats are, as it is still dairy-based, but I think its on line with margarine...

As for butter sprays - look at the serving size, usually its 1/4 second spray. I challenge anyone to do a 1/4 second spray. The reason there's no calories and no fat is that the amount is so small it is basically unmeasurable. Meanwhile, thinking the stuff is fat & calorie-free, one tends to coat everythnig down for 10-15 seconds!

If you're looking for a good spray oil, you can buy this thing called "Misto", which is basically a manual spray can, where you pour in about 1/2 cup of your favorite oil in and then pump if full of pressure using the cap. We use Oilve oil, bought in a huge tin can, which is expensive up front, but very economical in the long run.

Old 03-15-2006, 10:38 AM   #10
(female)

Acemartini HB User

I bought a Misto for spritzing my veggies, etc. But it broke really fast! Now all it does is spray a stream of oil! Very disappointing, especially since it cost $10.

Now my hubby uses it to grease the grill!

Old 03-15-2006, 12:37 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jonistyle2 HB User

how many calories would you all guess are in about 5 "normal" sprays of those spray butters? just wondering cuz i like to use them for grilled cheese, etc.

Old 03-15-2006, 03:57 PM   #12
(female)

slimseeker HB User

Take Control is another good one a dietician recommended. I buy the light version. It tastes good.

Slimseeker

Old 03-15-2006, 08:42 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(male)

MaxOT26 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenin
No, it really isn't.
In a 100 gram serving of butter there are 81 grams of fat. Of the 81 grams of fat, 51 grams are SATURATED (63%.) Only 21 grams (26%) are monounsaturated oils.
Thus it's far more accurate to view butter as a SATURATED FAT!
So true and we should eat around 50% of the fat we take in should be saturated fat. Saturated fat plays critical roles in our body and people run from it like it is evil. I use all real organic butter. It is the only thing I use. I also cook in extra virgin coconut oil which is another very healthy serving of medium-chain saturated fats. Unprocessed saturated fats are very healthy.

Last edited by MaxOT26; 03-15-2006 at 08:43 PM.

Closed Thread