It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2006, 11:30 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

chevyman HB User
what happens cutting out all meats?

I been thinkng bout cutting out all my meats, I'm just so tired of eatting beef,poultry, fish,pork..its all cooked in a healthy way baked/broil/grilled.
I'm just getting tired of having to prepare it like that all the time and tired of eatting it.
What would my body do if I went the ''vegetarian'' route

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-05-2006, 12:25 PM   #2

The Borg HB User
Re: what happens cutting out all meats?

You'd become healthier. You may feel like crap the first week, or two because if you were a big meat eater your body would probably detox all the hormones, antibiotics and other drugs that have been injected into the animals. It's no mystery that a meat free diet is a much healthier diet.

Here is a link for more info

[url]http://www.vegsoc.org/info/goingveg.html[/url]

Last edited by The Borg; 03-05-2006 at 12:26 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-05-2006, 05:53 PM   #3
(female)

Vixen541 HB User

Just make sure you find other ways to substitute the protein. When I cut out all meats two years ago I was always tired and had no energy. I wasn't getting enough protein. Now I still do not eat red meats but I do eat turkey on occasion and I do like fish.

Old 03-05-2006, 07:55 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

6foot3 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Borg
It's no mystery that a meat free diet is a much healthier diet.
On what proof is there of this comment.....Yes some people do thrive on an Vegetarian diet and thats fine but others like my self became weak and ill on that diet. Studies on Paleo man (Pre 8000 bc) ate Lean Meat before Agriculture was invented for thousands of yrs. Also Native Americans especially the Plains Indians thrive eating bison as does the Alaskian Inuit as was reported by a cover story last year on Scientific American magazine.(Inuit Paradox) The Navajos and Pueblos are devastated by Diabete's here in New Mexico/Arizona by not eating they're traditional foods and are only now raising their own Bison. Lastly studies of Centenarians here in North America do not show that they were all Vegetarians... Yes lean organic is the way to go if you eat meat. I personally thrive on Salmon and Chicken.....

Old 03-06-2006, 07:08 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

auntjudyg HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Borg
It's no mystery that a meat free diet is a much healthier diet.
I'd like to know the source of that statement, too.

The fossil record shows brain capacity expanding in hominids at the same time you find more animal bones at hominid campsites. And I disagree that they were eating just lean meats. At the campsites, the animal bones are mostly broken, indicating that they were probably eating lots of lipid-rich marrow that perhaps fuelled the expansion of their lipid-rich brain.

Old 03-06-2006, 09:08 AM   #6

llamamuffinmama HB User

There's no harm in trying it out, Chevyman! It's quite likely you'll feel better than you have in a long time, although like someone mentioned, your body may have a brief detox period and or take a few days to adjust to all the fiber you'll be getting. Since it sounds like you are used to consuming a fair amount of fat and protein, I'd recommend including some plant-foods with a similar profile-things like peanut butter, soy yogurt, vegetarian baked beans, hummus, veggies stir fried in olive oil with seasonings plus tofu and/or some cashews or other nuts over brown rice or quinoa, avocado slices, rice and bean burritos with guacamole & veggies, boca burgers (if you like them) with all the fixin's, etc.

Old 03-06-2006, 09:33 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

chevyman HB User

This is getting a little bit ''scary'' or better ''interesting''........I think that we have ''slective animals'' in our world for nutrition(as God provides) maybe its the way (mankind) has come as far as injections of harmones,antibiotics,and drugs in to animals has gone a little to far? whos to say?..I'm thinking they do that to prevent desease's?

but as far as that statement=
''its no mystery that a meat free diet is a much healthier diet''???
I was thinking bout all the nurtritions I would be loseing out on if I did not eat any meats for the protien and the fats.
I know there essential to the body.
Thats what my question was about what would it do to my body cutting out all meats? do I have to take supplements as such ect,,ect,,??

I have not rule meat eatting out of my diet, just thinking bout doing it?...but I'm not so sure its a wise choice?

I do know that for some ''vegetarian's'' They do not eat any kind of meats but still that don't mean they eat some type or form of foods made from animals.
I know a vegetarian...him and his spouse are young late 20's and to me they don't look very healthy? not puting any body down here but they look plale/whiteish/ grayish color and there tooth picks, now of course thats not to say all vegetarian's are that way.

I guess this is what prompt my question mostly but I do get tired of preparing the meats to be eaten in a healthy manner, but I started thinking thats what you have to do if you want to be healthy and trying to lose weight..its never eazy.

This is an interesting subject, I hope to learn more.
Thanks to the the posters (taking your time) that have posted on this subject
any comments from ''either side'' are certainly welcome.
Thanks.

Last edited by chevyman; 03-06-2006 at 09:50 AM.

Old 03-06-2006, 11:20 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

auntjudyg HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevyman
as injections of harmones,antibiotics,and drugs in to animals has gone a little to far? whos to say?..I'm thinking they do that to prevent desease's?
To prevent disease? Well . . . yeah, because the conditions under which most commercial animals are raised are absolutely filthy meaning it is more likely for the animals to get infections. Hormones help fatten animals up more quickly (and thus inexpensively).

I definitely think it is better to eat animal products from animals who have not had hormones, antibiotics, etc., and ideally that have been pasture-fed at least most of their lives. I'm more picky about animal products I consume than produce.

Quote:
but as far as that statement=
''its no mystery that a meat free diet is a much healthier diet''???
I was thinking bout all the nurtritions I would be loseing out on if I did not eat any meats for the protien and the fats.
BTW, you know I'm anti-vegetarian, no? Just so you know my bias . . . just in case you could tell!!! But, seriously, there was a study a while back (maybe a year ago) showing B12 deficiencies not only in vegan but, surprisingly and unexpectedly, even in ovo-lacto vegetarians. I don't know who conducted the study, but I don't remember anyone attacking it as biased. (Not sure how to search it out.)

The omega-3s in vegetable sources are no where near as easily assimilated as those from animal sources. Even staunch vegetarian advocate Dean Ornish recommends fish oil supplements because of this.

Old 03-06-2006, 11:46 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

6foot3 HB User

Quote:

I guess this is what prompt my question mostly but I do get tired of preparing the meats to be eaten in a healthy manner
Its easy to prepare and quick. Im a single guy always busy so i myself don't have alot of time to prepare meals . Canned Alaskian Salmon takes a minute to open the can or frozen Chicken Breast takes 3 minutes in microwave to defrost and 10 minutes to cook on fryer pan. Combine with Blackbeans Carrot, Brocolli ,Red Onion and Green Chile (Southwestern style) with tomato/olive oil dressing and i have a healthy quick meal . Frozen Blueberries for desert. Yes not fancy and even boring but to prove a point it can be done quickly.......

Old 03-06-2006, 11:58 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

StenoLady1 HB UserStenoLady1 HB User

Chevy, it sounds to me as if you're a little bored with your protein menu. Maybe check around online a little bit for some new recipes or check out the library or book store for a "meaty" cookbook with some new ideas. I recently bought a new grilling cookbook which has just opened up a whole new world, it seems, for new ideas for meat/fish/poultry. I was getting a little bored, too.

I don't think there's anything wrong with having a "meatless" meal once in a while. One of my week night favs is grilled cheese, soup & salad. Having gone from lots of meat with every meal to this kind of dinner, I mean, I'm still here! I don't think it has to be all or nothing, unless you're doing this for a specific medical condition or religious/spiritual/animal rights reasons.

Maybe you could try a meatless dinner once a week and check out some new recipes for meats if you're hesitant about giving up meat altogether. See how you feel. I'd be happy to share recipe ideas with you, as I'm sure others would as well.

FWIW, I used to eat bacon or sausage with every breakfast. Then hamburger, fried chicken or fried steak for lunch. More hamburger, pork, sausage, or steak for dinner. Got sick last summer with what my doc finally called an "inflammed kidney" along with very high cholesterol. He told me to lay off so much meat. He told me to eat between six and eight ounces of lean meat protein per day, prepared in a healthy manner. I've been taking his advice for eight months now, and I've needed no supplements. I do eat low-fat cheese and dairy and lots of beans, tho, in soups, avocado and nuts in salads. I feel great, lost weight, flank pain's gone, GI troubles are gone, and I feel energized. At least in my case, cutting back a little helped and didn't hurt.

HTH

Lysne

Old 03-06-2006, 12:41 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(male)

chevyman HB User

no,
its not so much boredom, I'm just not that good a cook.... I stay busy until bedtime
my g/f travels a lot with her job so I'm home alone a lot.
I don't eat much bread or cheese..these seem to (constipate) gas up me.

I didn't eat nothing but veggies one week and lost like 5 lbs, but when I do have the meats healthy ''cooked'' ,It seems to me I takes longer to lose weight? this could be many factors as to why ? maybe thats my reasons to cut out all meats, but I'm thinking cutting out red meats...which (btw) a jucy rib eye is my favorite meat and thats probably the worst meat for you as far as calories and fats go.

Its just I waist a lot burning it up or letting it spoil...it takes me more than 10 minutes to cook...lol
Thanks for the tip 6foot3 and your comments I take to mind stenoLady1, I'll certainly check that out.

To the person that commented about the animals being pasture fed..most animals are pasture fed beef espcially..but if the truth was known they all are giving harmomes injections and other things...supposeably all control by the FDA but we know about them people too so we may never know the real truth about how things are raised and distribute.

Old 03-06-2006, 01:12 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

auntjudyg HB User

Quote:
To the person that commented about the animals being pasture fed..most animals are pasture fed beef espcially...
From what I have heard, most commercial beef is grain fed and has spent most time cooped up, not on pastures. (There are exceptions, of course.)

Old 03-06-2006, 01:58 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

mjewell HB Usermjewell HB Usermjewell HB Usermjewell HB User

Are you guys able to find organic meat very often in grocery stores? I have never seen organic chicken in my grocery store, or beef for that matter. The closest I have found is Laura's lean beef with no hormones or anitbiotics, but for animals' sake and my own, I really want to start only buying "free range" meat.

Old 03-07-2006, 07:10 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

cad2 HB User

I agree that there are benefits to being a vegetarian some people thrive on this because they have fine tuned it I guess. Also other people do very well eating animal flesh. We do need protein to function. I don't see the need to go completely vegetarian unless it is for reaasons other than health related. Why not go for a balanced diet including a few meatless meals a week for a while and see if that is any better for you. If you like it the meatless meals then give the vegetarian food a try. Good luck.

Old 03-07-2006, 10:53 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(male)

chevyman HB User

What makes a vegan more healthier?

Now barring all the crap about the meat industry)
I wanted to more or less what does it do to your body going meatless? detox and stuff yeah but if your not getting the protien, then what happens? do you have to take supplements?

''Note''
I had read in jama(Journal Amercian Medical Association) that high PRO-BNP, that a study was conducted and a certain % of high protein of pro-bnp was found in people that never knew they had it? and they say if you get this PRO-BNP.....theres not a cure for it yet?
now I don't know exzatly how you get this (PRO-BNP) but I'm thinking maybe red meat?
or that it contriubutes to it?

''I don't want to scare anyone''
Matter fact a physician for whom was conducting the studys as stated ''if you think you might have this go get yourself check out asap'' (BLOODWORK)...because it could lead to heartfailure/ and a big % mostly results in death! and with no cure yet, there still conducting studys.....I did notice the studys was on pre-menopause women mostly?
And it don't matter what your weight is.
you can find more info in jama...PRO-BNP

Last edited by chevyman; 03-07-2006 at 11:00 AM.

Closed Thread