It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2006, 03:14 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

Natalie00 HB User
Canned Icing...MAJOR trans fat!!! (from the trans fat detective)

Ok, so if you're trying to lose weight you probably shouldn't be eating cake anyways...but my mom makes them occasionally and I was reading the label of the icing (the canned kind) and it has 2.5 grams of trans fat per serving, which is like 1tsp and who eats 1 tsp of icing (no one) one piece of cake probably has 3 atleast. So that is 7.5 grams of trans fat!!

So I went to wal mart and ALL of the canned icings had major trans fat, except the wal mart brand that tastes like crap.

Even the low fat browines which I will make on occasion, has trans fat. So I thought I was doing something better for me by eating the low fat browines, when the full fat browines have NO trans fat. So I guess have 10 grams of fat (zero trans) is better for you than having 2 grams of fat (with trans fat in it).

So if any of you make a cake, make your own icing.

And under NO circumstances eat at McDonalds because you will be guaranteed to get atleast 8+++ grams of trans fat in your meal.
Mmm....a heart attack on a bun. And it's only 99 cents!! Gimme a shake and a large order of clogged arteries with that.

Why can't they just eliminate all trans fat????

I have become a "trans fat detective!!""

Last edited by Natalie00; 03-07-2006 at 03:16 PM.

Old 03-07-2006, 03:42 PM   #2
(female)

Kaycee41 HB User
Re: Canned Icing...MAJOR trans fat!!! (from the trans fat detective)

I'm taking the Wilton cake decorating class at our local Michael's. The frosting is 2 cups Crisco (Hydrog. soybean oil) to 2 lbs. powdered sugar + vanilla. Really good stuff!!! I'm sending all my practice cakes to work with my husband....we're not eating that stuff! I don't think you're safe eating ANY frosting, homemade or not!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-07-2006, 03:45 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

Natalie00 HB User

Well, the frosting I make is only powdered sugar, a little milk (or water) and almond or vanilla flavoring. I sometimes add trans fat free margarine to it. You can make home made trans free icing.

Old 03-08-2006, 07:36 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

StenoLady1 HB UserStenoLady1 HB User

I hear you, Natalie. On a good note, I think some of the manufacturers are hearing us, as well...not all, but some. Some cookie makers are using regular oils (oreos come to mind), as are some chip makers (cheetohs come to mind). Not that these are great "diet" foods, but if I'm going to indulge a little, I'd like to know I'm not putting trans fats in my body.

I can tell you I've been going round and round with Girl Scouts. My neighbors called me a couple months ago to have me put in my "regular" order. I bought one box of the Samoas and one box of the Tagalongs. For two cookies, I believe it was two grams of trans fats (could have been 1.5). Partially-hydrogenated oils were the second ingredient listed. I called, I wrote, and the responses I've gotten have been, "Well, at least we listed it on the nutritional box per FDA regs. We have taste to think about." Sorry, but that's BS. It's about money, profit and shelf life. Oreos and Cheetohs taste the same to me without t-fats. So does my butter spread and pancake mix.

I'm all for a good cause like Girl Scouts, but I'm not supporting that organization until they get rid of that poison in their cookies. And to think it's children doing the marketing and selling. Aren't we supposed to be educating our children about healthier diets so maybe the next generation won't be so sick?

Sorry for the rant!

Closed Thread