It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-20-2006, 11:58 AM   #1
(male)

Bgraham10 HB User
Help with Preventing Water Retention

Hi. I just stumbled across these boards today, so this is my first post. I found these boards because I was searching for “excessive water retention” on ixquick.

Alittle about me and my current health status…I am a 35 y/o male, I am 5’11 and weigh about 205. I have never felt healthier in my life. I was always extremely overweight – was diagnosed as morbidly obese when I was 30 - and when I was 33 I weighed about 365 lbs. Long story short, I used common sense and exercise and lost about 170 lbs. I gave up eating all fatty foods and meats, and a lot of carbs. I basically became a vegetarian that eats fish. The only meat I eat is sushi 2-3 times a week and the fish that I catch my self.

My goal was to be under 200 lbs, which I met in about 2 years. I was 193-197 lbs from last June until October and haven’t been able to get back under 200 since. This was largely due to Halloween and Christmas and taking advantage of allowances I had given myself. I figured no problem…

So now, even though I eat roughly 1200 calories a day and exercise, I cannot break the 200lb plateau and it is extremely frustrating. My problem is that I am recently experiencing severe water retention, as much as 12 lbs in one weekend. I don’t know what to do. I weighed 205 on Friday 3/17 and then 217 on Monday 3/20!

I do drink beer (miller light) on the weekends, which is probably contributing to the excess. Although I do understand that drinking beer does cause water retention, I don’t consider 12 lbs to be normal by any means. My wife and friends drink/eat the same amounts and gain only 1 or 2 lbs.

Has anyone experienced this or know how to combat it?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-20-2006, 04:18 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User
Re: Help with Preventing Water Retention

I have found that 2 things retain water:

SALT, the biggest offender...look to your soy sauce.
SUGAR, a lesser offender that "carb loads" as glycogen with lots of water into the muscles and liver.

I was surprised to see the effect of the latter but for me it's real. The effect of the carbs is pronounced only when I have A LOT of quick carbs...like a big spaghetti dinner and a wedge of chocolate cake.

Of the two the "prettier" weight gain is the carby one, because my muscles are all pumped. With the saltwater gain, it's squish in all the wrong places...like fingers and eyelids!

(I too, have been banging away at 201-205# for the last year...something about that number...I'm 6'2")

Last edited by Lenin; 03-20-2006 at 04:21 PM.

Old 03-21-2006, 07:08 AM   #3
(female)

debbie2881 HB User

hi (stupid me) i didnt think men retained water. anyway i was told to drink hot lemon water for water retention. i was told it doesnt work as effectively if its room temp so warm or hot would work. I was told to try in for 2 to 3 nights and i should see a difference. I havent tried it yet because i dont feel myself retaining water and i cant drink water warm or hot. I plan on trying it but when i get up the mind set to drink hot water. If you try it let me know.

Old 03-22-2006, 06:41 AM   #4
(female)

Holly4k9 HB User

I was told to drink more water to flush out all the sodium etc that makes you retain water.

Old 03-23-2006, 05:12 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

Holly,

Drinking water helps SOME people. For others the rate of sodium loss is low and the water just adds to the bloat.

People who retain water are generally those who can hang onto sodium the best...good when lost on the desert, but not for much anything else except high blood pressure!
I can eat the same amount of salt that others around me eat. They wake up the next morning the same...I am 5 pounds heavier! (Thank GOD for diuretics.)

Old 03-28-2006, 12:20 PM   #6
(male)

Bgraham10 HB User

Thanks very much for the input. I have come to the realization that I cannot drink as much beer as I'd like to on the weekends. I tried this weekend and found that my wieght only varied by 2 lbs from fri to monday...I did not change anything in my diet except that I had less beer.

I am going to see a doctor to see why I all of the sudden have a problem with water retention. Until then, I am going to have to keep my drinking habits in check apparantly - unless I plan on going to the desert the following week!

Thanks again.

Closed Thread