It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-10-2006, 11:51 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

lovethoscurls HB User
Diet Pills??

I am 21 years old and have put on about 30 lbs since last summer. I really want to take this weight off. I went from working 50-60 hours a week on my feet to working a desk job. I can't exercise for about 3 weeks due to surgery but really want to start taking off the weight. I hear about all these diet pills all the time but do any of them really work?? Are they safe??

Last edited by lovethoscurls; 04-10-2006 at 11:51 AM.

Old 04-10-2006, 12:31 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

MaxOT26 HB User
Re: Diet Pills??

Do not resort to taking diet pills as the only means to reduce weight. Some of them are effective at helping fat metabolism but they should always be used in conjunction with diet and exercise. Are you seeing a therapists to help you recover from your surgery? Usually there are still exercises you can do with proper guidance. I would just stick with that and make sure you are eating properly and smaller portions.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-10-2006, 05:51 PM   #3
(male)

keeprogresin' HB User

I am very skeptical about diet pills, if after taking diet pills, dedicated excercise, and dieting for a month and I lose 7lbs, I could not sit back and say, "Wow, I dropped 7 lbs from taking those pills". No way, it was the diet and excercise that did it. Although, I do agree that diet pills help to some extent, but not directly related to losing weight, maybe it will give you extra energy so you work out more, but that still requires that you work out. Personally I think they're a waste of money, but hey, everyone is different, if they work for you, then do it.

Old 04-10-2006, 06:39 PM   #4
(male)

rmp5s HB User

I was wondering about this myself. I too see all this stuff on tv and wonder...Stackers, Xenodrine, Hydroxycut, Ephedrine-everything...it's never ending. I'm in a different boat though. I'm actually planning on starting a diet and exercise routine very soon. I was just wondering if there are any of these pills and/or supplements that would be beneficial. Not only that but people ask if they're safe...of course they are if used as directed...a better question is are there any that are GOOD for you? An energy vitamin would be cool. I'm not looking to become a body builder or anything...just wanna trim up.

Last edited by rmp5s; 04-10-2006 at 06:42 PM.

Old 04-11-2006, 04:57 PM   #5
(male)

ksaguy HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmp5s
I was wondering about this myself. I too see all this stuff on tv and wonder...Stackers, Xenodrine, Hydroxycut, Ephedrine-everything...it's never ending. I'm in a different boat though. I'm actually planning on starting a diet and exercise routine very soon. I was just wondering if there are any of these pills and/or supplements that would be beneficial. Not only that but people ask if they're safe...of course they are if used as directed...a better question is are there any that are GOOD for you? An energy vitamin would be cool. I'm not looking to become a body builder or anything...just wanna trim up.
since you are planning to start a new diet and exercises, i would suggest GNC's Total Lean Control. it boosts energy and metabolism and comes with a 14 day diet and exercise plan which is quite simple to follow.

my sister got it for herself but was too lazy to stick to it so she gave it to me and i did notice a little improvement in my energy levels.

its has got quite nice stuff in it.
she got it for CAD35 and it has 60 tablets. you have to take two daily 30-60 mins prior to lunch/dinner.

Old 04-11-2006, 06:22 PM   #6
Inactive
(male)

Prip HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethoscurls
I am 21 years old and have put on about 30 lbs since last summer. I really want to take this weight off. I went from working 50-60 hours a week on my feet to working a desk job. I can't exercise for about 3 weeks due to surgery but really want to start taking off the weight. I hear about all these diet pills all the time but do any of them really work??________ Are they safe??_________

I've helped to separate the most important question. The answer? NO, most diet pills are FAR from safe and generally include a plethora of drugs that will end up hurting your body in ANY amount.

There is a good side to this information, though. Some of the most effective dieting pills included citrus products as a prime ingredient. In all truth, even if you've heard the rumors and didn't believe them, eating grapefruits and drinking small amounts of grapefruit juice as a diet aid WILL cut calories. In fact, I assume all citrus fruits have more or less the same or a similar affect on your digestive system.

-Oranges
-Limes
-Lemons
-Grapefruits
-Kiwis (***)
-Tangerines
-Etc (***)

((( *** marks foods that MIGHT be high in calories alone, and though they can help to speed your digestion and push things through without as much absorption, I highly recommend you keep these foods to a limited amount of consumption. Anyway, I don't know anyone who can eat more than 2 kiwis without having mouth sores from the acidity. I do eat them differently, myself, though. I eat the entire furry outside, too, and so that could further irritate my own mouth and worsen the experience.)))

Add those things to the MIDDLE of your meal, and preferably AFTER you get a good amount of fat into your stomach. In fact, cooking anything in lemon or lime juice is an automatic plus. Lime/lemon cooked fish is one that's particularly tasty to most people and still holds a certain high level of nutritious value. If you pick the right fish, it's already low calorie, and then you'll be catching some of the fat using your citrus fruits and pushing it through with a smaller chance of having it digest fully.

Another thing to think about is RAW, unbleached (and possibly organic), natural Coconut oil. I don't care if you've heard good or bad about this. There are rumors and market strategies, and then there are scientific findings and "facts". I'll speak for the second. Medium Chain Fatty Acids, such as Coconut oil, (which just happens to be readily available at any oriental market, restaurant supply, and likely most grocery stores) help to reduce the amounts of energy your body absorbs from the food you eat.
Reason? Coconut oil, for one, is pretty much pure usable energy. VERY little has to be done to it to retreive this energy, and it's potent.
"Won't this make me GAIN weight??"
Nope. Unless you're eating spoonfuls of the stuff, you are, in fact, pretty much promised to absorb fewer calories than you normally would have.

Medium Chain Fatty Acids like Coconut oil break down upon reaching one of the earliest parts of your intestinal system, and so it's used waaay before other foods of more complex energetic makeup. It's like opening a door, unlocking a door, and picking a lock to a door. Opening a door is as simple as digesting coconut oil, while picking locks is equivelant to, say, eating animal fat or eating a carrot. : )

Now that you understand this, I should inform you that because of this super boost of energy, (assuming you're not in the middle of a famine and are, in fact, still eating normally) your body sees LESS of a reason to take energy from other foods. It's going to focus more on pushing this food into other phases of digestion to find the other nutrients it needs. It WILL absorb energy, but less.

You see, you need energy to digest food, and so normally your body would use left-over energy from previous meals or food, or more commonly it would utilize its fatty deposits to power digestion. Medium Chain Fatty Acids like Coconut Oil take VERY LITTLE to digest and use, and so your body won't feel a need to take energy from foods and then later store that as fat in compensation for digestive energy taken.

The estimate most commonly repeated among those who have tested it:
You will be absorbing 3/4ths of the calories as normal IF you only eat one tablespoon of coconut oil. This is tricky, however, as increasing amounts leads to a higher chance of fat storage. Under a tablespoon or just at is a good idea.

Not only does it help you to lose weight HEALTHILY and NATURALLY, but the bi-products of digestion of Coconut Oil in specific are good for yeast and fungal infections aroudn the body. : )

I hope some of that information helps you to lose weight as fast as preferable, and most importantly, as healthily as possible. There's absolutely no reason to take your body through a crash-landing in hobbiest weight loss by forcing VERY harmful synthetics down its tubes. Don't take drugs unless the reason is a very serious one.

Verdict: No drugs, no wonky promise-products. Walk 30 minutes to an hour a day, IF possible and WHEN possible, non stop...and get citrus fruits and some coconut oil. Coconut oil at the beginning of your meal, citrus fruits preferably during the middle of them, and after eating fat-filled foods. Cut bleached sugar and try to sweeten with things like honey and real maple syrup, as they're better for you and work to your advantage during weight loss in many ways. GET FIBER. A high fiber diet WILL make you lose weight. It's another thing that can promote faster digestion and fewer calories caught. REAL, whole wheat bread (unbleached) is one of the best sources, if you ask me, but eat what you like. Citrus fruits contain quite a bit of fiber, depending on which you chose.

By the way...30lbs is unbelievable in my opinion. If I STRUGGLED, at my level of health, I might be able to FORCE 10lbs on in a rush period of a year. (in fat) A healthy person will NOT gain that much weight from simply eating too many sweets. They're body will simply rid itself of the extra energy in a couple of creative, organic ways. I highly recommend you stop taking drugs of any kind that aren't necessary to keep you working correctly at the moment. They're a prime contributor to weight gain like that. Even pain medication, which seems so harmless, has toxic side effects up the wazoo. If you can get a good diet, you'll heal faster after surgery, and better yet, you'll have little need for it ever again. Find a healthy diet, and your body will have itself healing things you never thought it had within months. After 1 year of healthy eating and moderate activity, I couldn't believe what I had felt like before. So heavy, so sluggish...painful, out of breath or tired all of the time. I had multiple "disorders" that oh so magically became "curable" once I took on healthy habits, and I assume many of you will find the same will happen to you eventually through intelligent dieting.

Back to subject: 30lbs isn't something to be disgusted about or ashamed about...but to fear. There's something very wrong with your body if you put on unhealthy weight that easily. Your systems will regulate your body weight if you're healthy, so rather than popping pills or looking for mystical hoopty herbs that'll cost you both of your fingers in debt...do yourself a favor and get what you really need to keep yourself working properly and healing quickly. The building blocks, not the "magic pill", will allow your body to HEAL ITSELF.

Old 04-12-2006, 08:18 AM   #7
(male)

davitude HB User

Quote:

All the products you mentioned create a speed-like effect as the main mechanism. This is where the energy part comes from. The bad part is that although you can drop a lot of weight, feel less hungry and have extra energy to work out, the effect only lasts for a couple of months, 3 at best. Then you're back at square one and have to keep taking the pills just to put weight back on slowly...heaven forbid you stop (thought you were hungry before?)

There are diet pills that are good for you, you just won't lose weight as quickly and you may have to combine some strategies to get the goals you want. The best part is that they continue to work for as long as you take them.

A few good ones:

5 HTP, which is an amino acid that's one metabolic step from a brain chemical that is associated with satisfaction, called serotonin. It's not necessarily good for you, but not toxic either. I put it in because it works very well.

Apple cider vinegar tablets (or some diluted vinegar itself if you can stomach it) will blunt your appetite if you take it before eating carbs. It will slow digestion of carbohydrates, promoting stable blood sugar levels.

Soluble fibers like Metamucil (or whatever doesn't bother your digestive system) taken with water will create a viscous blob of gunk in your stomach and help you feel fuller, longer after a meal. They also reduce triglyceride and "bad" cholesterol levels, prevent certain types of cancer, and can aid in preventing diabetes.

BTW, some Go Lean cereals of a brand I'm apparently not allowed to say are spiked with the soluble fiber, oat bran. They are a good choice for breakfast if your diet allows (don't listen to the Cheerios commercials, they don't have enough fiber to do squat).

There are more, but most will do well with these as a start and none have any toxicity. There can be side effects for the fibers if overdone, and some just don't agree with some people, but with a little experimentation most can find a happy medium with one of them.

Good luck!

Quote:
An energy vitamin would be cool..
The B family. For losing weight, thiamine (B1) is the most potent in that it mildly increases insulin sensitivity in muscle, as a result more sugar is deposited there than in fat. You can find B1 tabs right on the shelf at Walmart.

Last edited by davitude; 04-12-2006 at 08:28 AM. Reason: addendum

Old 04-12-2006, 06:48 PM   #8
(male)

rmp5s HB User

Some pretty interesting stuff, guys. Thanks for all the feedback! I'll try some of this stuff...definately the thing mentioned that is a combined supplement and diet plan. That sounds like it might be of interest.

Old 04-13-2006, 05:47 AM   #9

destinyc HB User

I been taking pills to help. I also work out and eat right. I think the pills just support your energy and take away some hunger.. not all some do.
Somebody had said that the pills dont make you drop weight its the working out and eating right... i agree.

Old 04-13-2006, 09:44 AM   #10
Inactive
(female)

rlmylove HB User

Best way is try this hopes it works. It works and it's working for me.

Breakfast- Drink Chocolate milk
Lunch eat an apple
Dinner eat rice and chicken or fish

So far i've lost six pounds in a week. The person i found this out from went from 140 to 123 last year in less than a MONTH

whenever you hungry fill your stomach with ice cold water or just water

Old 04-13-2006, 01:13 PM   #11
(male)

rmp5s HB User

Yea...I heard that drinking and eating cold things helps speed up the metabolism cuz your body has to maintain its body temp. Dunno how true it is but it makes sense.

And I was wondering recently...Ephedra is illegal in the US, right? I was doing a bit of reading about this and I found some info that made it sound like it's only illegal if it's labeled as a energy pill or a diet supplement or something like that. I also found out that Ephedrine is the active ingredient in Ephedra. I can buy a pack of 15 Ephedrine pills at the gas station which are sold as a bronchialator [sp]. Isn't this the same thing? Wouldn't it have the same effect? The page I was reading gave the analogy that Ephedrine is to Ephedra as THC is to Marijuana. My friend likes Stacker 2s...but she likes the "real ones" (as she calls them) with the ephedra in them a lot better but she says you can't buy them here. I asked her why she didn't just buy the ephedrine pills...isn't it the same thing?

Last edited by rmp5s; 04-13-2006 at 01:21 PM.

Old 04-14-2006, 09:11 AM   #12
Inactive
(male)

macro HB User

Thermorexin
Pure Ephedrine (not ephedra) and caffeine stack

Old 04-14-2006, 05:04 PM   #13
(male)

rmp5s HB User

Is there really a difference between "ephedrine" and "ephedra" though? "Ephedrine" is the active ingredient in "ephedra". That's like saying you have THC pills...screw smoking...just eat some THC pills, right?

Old 04-15-2006, 11:16 PM   #14
Inactive
(female)

LeighJ HB User

Hmm, well I can defitely say diet pills work in curbing your appetite. I have tried several different kinds but the one I have read most people comment on and have had the best luck with is Phentermine. It is a prescription diet pill though, although it can be obtained on-line (just more expensive that way). I would not advise doing it on=line though. Go through your doctor, because they check you out to make sure there are no issues with you taking them. Mine also has me come in once a month just to check on my progress. With the Phentermine, there are different versions of this drug, it can come in capsule (blue generic version) or pill format (name brand of it is Adipex). Some have more success with one than do the other, just depends on the person.

What several commented on though is true, diet pills definitely lose their effectiveness, maybe lasts 3-4 months before your body gets use to them. I would not depend solely on them, but mix in a healthy diet and exercise. My doctor recommended going 5 days on and 2 days off and it takes a little longer for your body to work up a tolerance to them.

Last edited by LeighJ; 04-15-2006 at 11:20 PM.

Old 04-16-2006, 03:58 PM   #15
(male)

rmp5s HB User

I don't need anything like that. That's a bit much for me. Going to the doctor...picking up prescriptions...paying for all that...not necessary.

Closed Thread