It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-14-2006, 05:48 PM   #1
(female)

CaliGirl19 HB User
Question Question about Atkins Diet........?

I'm just curious what everyone else thinks........
most people have told me the induction part of the atkins diet is really important to just eat meat and eggs nothing else. But I've heard from a couple people that you can start your first day just adding a lil amount of veggies with your meat and even a lil salad and that you don't have to eat nothing but eggs and meat the first 2 weeks. Would the diet still work this way? They're positive it does. I've been on the atkins for 7 days now and have been eating nothing but meat,eggs and cheese and i'm getting very very sick of it!! I want to add my veggies to my meals but I don't know if i can wait another 7 dayz!! So any info would be helpful..Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-14-2006, 09:02 PM   #2
(female)

perdz HB User
Re: Question about Atkins Diet........?

Hey, I go on the atkins diet every 6 weeks, and go on low fat the rest. I only go on the atkins for 2 weeks at a time. I eat only eggs, meat and cheese. It is really gross, cause you can only eat so much, but it works. I started my deit on March 9, 06 I was on low fat for 2 weeks then I switched to atkins for 3 weeks. I weighed myself after one month and I lost 21 1/2 pounds. Today makes 5 weeks and 1 day since the day I started my diet and I weighed myself today and I lost 2 1/2 more pounds. Today is the last day of the 3 weeks. My actually weigh in is tomarrow morning.
It sounds kinda wierd with changing up the two but, it shocks my body. When I get to the point where I want to eat more on the low fat than I am allowed, I switch over, so I don't lose my will power. Then I can have all the meat that I want. Sounds a bit crazy but it works for me. Everyone is different you just have to try and see what works best for you. Good Luck

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-14-2006, 09:46 PM   #3
(female)

cscairns928 HB User

I think you can eat low carb veggies on Atkins, even in induction, as long as you don't eat high carb the diet will work

Old 04-14-2006, 11:51 PM   #4
(female)

CaliGirl19 HB User

Ok kewl thanks. Perdz that's exactly what my mom told me to do is go on atkins for a couple wks then do low fat, then atkins, then low fat....it must really work...i'm gonna try it

Old 04-15-2006, 11:36 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

chevyman HB User

hi,
''The Atkins Diet'' is probably the most controversy diet in the history of dieting,
I would think long and hard about this type of dieting, but if you chose to go on ''Atkins'' you will need to get his book and read it, the diet will work as far as loseing weight but you need to realize that if you do this its something your going to need to do the rest of your life..make it a way of life.
As far as the induction phase, yes ''no'' (any) carbs during this two weeks, the body will metabolise into keytosis, you will probably feel flu like symtoms for a day or so or just feel low energy, but after your two weeks, then I think you can start on some good low-carb veggies...get his book it explains all of this..and from what I've been told you need to do as ''Dr Atkins'' says in his book..or the diet will fail.

In my opinion this type of dieting is bad for you in the long run...I know theres people will disagree and say things like they never felt better and so eazy to lose weight/ cholesterol is down/ acid reflex is better/ sleep better,ect,,ect comments like that.
but you need to think about all them trans fats your taking in, I think the book says something like they burn as fuel and not stored and metablized through the process of the metablization..so your actually peeing out the fat as you take it in..but what I would sure think about is what you don't pee out...what happens to that? well my way of thinking I'm not to sure on this but I think it sticks to the inside of your artries and in a few years...you know what that may do.
Doing Atkis diet is eazy, but you need to do it right and it is so highly controvesy...to me there is just to much negativity with it.

I seen on the newscast the other night something about ''cholosterol''
theres a new study out that in some people higher chololestrol and low chololestrol...don't seem to matter as far has heart-attacts...its the protein in the blood...the little looking balls under a microscope....(exaggerating)> say for some people with large golf balls size protein vs people with small marble size, the people with the larger golfball size has a better chance not having a heart attact than the people with them smaller ones...I guess there theory is that the smaller the eazer it is to clog up?

so see even a skinny person can have a heart attact/its obvious and just a well know fact that an obese person is at greater risk.
but this study may change the way medical science in some way beneficial to us all?

Old 04-17-2006, 09:39 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

auntjudyg HB User

First, the induction period allows 20 gram of carbohydrate per day (subtracting fiber grams). Dr. Atkins encouraged people to get as much nutritionally dense food in those 20 grams as they could (kale was often mentioned). So you ARE allowed vegetables right from the start on Atkins' plan.

That said, I am a big fan of low carbing, but think Atkins is unnecessarily restrictive for most. Something along the lines of Protein Power or South Beach is better, for most, IMHO. (Both allow more veggies and fruits from the start.)

Old 04-18-2006, 07:33 AM   #7
(female)

Kharma HB User

Not only are you allowed veggies on induction, you are required to eat them. There is a list of approved vegetables to pick from and you will eat 3 cups a day.

PLEASE buy the book (Dr Atkins New Diet Revolution) and read it if you're going to do Atkins. If anyone says they're only eating meat & eggs they are not on Atkins. They're on their own "made up version of what I think Atkins is" diet. These are also the same people who often come back later and say "I tried Atkins but it didn't work for me." Of course it didn't.. they were never on Atkins to begin with! Also going off and on Atkins (or any diet for that matter) every few weeks is going to mess your body up in the long run. If you switch from Atkins to low fat over and over, there is a strong possibility neither will work for you someday.

I've been on Atkins over a year and am down over 70 pounds. I wish I had started low carbing years ago. My bloodwork is excellent. Cholesterol, Triglycerides, etc... all are great and they weren't before. Also my acid reflux has gone away and I'm totally off of any meds for that. I was prediabetic and blood sugars are in normal ranges now. My results are not uncommon. I would urge anyone serious about trying Atkins to hook up with an Atkins diet board. If you google Atkins message board or Atkins forums, a number of good ones pop up.

BTW, I saw a person claiming a lot of trans fat is eaten doing Atkins. They are dead wrong. Atkins was one of the early people to tell others not to eat trans fats, and he is pretty adamant about it in the book. As far as it being bad for you in the long run, I'd like someomne to explain how having excellent bloodwork and health is bad for you, and stuffing your face with white flour and sugar is good.

Good luck in whatever you choose to do. Just don't tell people you're on Atkins if all you're going to eat is meat and eggs

Old 04-18-2006, 02:26 PM   #8
Veteran

bluejbirdie HB User

Keep in mind a few things.......the Initial Weighloss during the induction phase is Mainly Water, Some Muscle and some Fat. During the Induction Phase you will deplete you glycogen. When Glycogen is full it can easily hold 3lbs of water.

If you plan to be active and exercise a lot...then there is a good chance you will have a tough time, your endurance will be less and you are likely to be more sluggish.

If by doing Adkins you find that it is too restrictive then you shouldnt do it at all. There is a much greater chance of gaining the weight back once you go off of it.

You should choose to do something that is a lifestyle for you ...something you can keep up for the longterm. If you dont feel you can eat that little carbs longterm then dont do it.

then there are the Negatives about Atkins and Very low carb diets......Without going into them...you should read about them and know both sides before making a decision.

Personally I think you are better Off with a good carb diet rather then a Low carb diet.

We are OverFat...Not OverWeight!

Last edited by bluejbirdie; 04-19-2006 at 06:34 AM.

Old 04-18-2006, 05:47 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

6foot3 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kharma

BTW, I saw a person claiming a lot of trans fat is eaten doing Atkins.
Thats a good laugh as Trans Fat is ''Partially Hydrogenated Oil'' found in baked products. i.e. cookies,cakes,pies,potato chips,frenchfries,candybars etc...hardly atkins, but i admit im a ''Body For Life '' dieter...That is i love Meat and Beans and Blueberries. I wonder if i can make that into a Burrito.........

Old 04-19-2006, 08:23 AM   #10
Veteran
(male)

shucky ducky HB User

I've tried both Atkins and South Beach and both really do work wonders. My two main problems is I have not been able to get past the Induction phase because I start craving the carbs and the #1 problem is both plans are so bloody expensive! Oh! And you have to cook quite a bit, too, which I hate!

Last edited by shucky ducky; 04-19-2006 at 08:27 AM.

Old 04-19-2006, 01:54 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

susieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB User

I tried Atkins twice. Both times it made me physically ill and I couldn't stay on it. I don't like it and will never try it again. Besides, most of the people I know that did Atkins gained all their weight back plus some.
I know it probably works wonders for some, but I hated it. I think it only works if you follow it COMPLETELY and don't vary from what the book says. It just wasn't the way to go for me. But good luck with it - Some people love it.

Closed Thread