It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-17-2006, 10:26 AM   #1
(female)

seo HB User
Body holding on to weight? Question

Hi, I've got a weird question. Last January, I weighed in at 209 (erg!) and managed to get down to 160 before promptly gaining about 20 pounds (I know...) Anyway, when I was initially loosing the weight, it seemed once I got to 173 I was just stuck! I thought it was just the dreaded plateau, and after a few months managed to get through it (although I don't quite remember how!) Anyway, I am now trying to get the 20 pounds off plus about 15 more to put me around 155 ish. I have managed to loose around 10 but am now stuck on that stupid 170ish mark again! Is it possible my body just likes this number (even though my brain doesn't?) I'm not underweight and could definitely loose the weight and be more healthy so I don't get it. Any suggestions would be great as I am at a loss- or rather I'm not! hehe..

Thanks!

Old 04-17-2006, 10:42 AM   #2
Inactive
(male)

toxey HB User
Re: Body holding on to weight? Question

Yeah, what's your diet like? Everything from your meals to your snacks to your drinks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-18-2006, 07:21 AM   #3
(female)

seo HB User

Well, I think my diet's pretty good. I very from 1200 to 1400 calories a day- and they're all pretty healthy. I will occasionally have a diet coke, but mostly just drink water or tea. I don't snack, and eat 3 meals a day. Typical day would look like

Breakfast- yogurt with some fruit (grapes usually)
Lunch- a frozen meal under 300 calories, an apple and a jello cup (10 calories)
Lunch- Small piece of meat, salad with fat free dressing (the 20 calorie serving of italian) small potato or carb side and veggies.

Thanks for asking, I'd love any advice you have to offer. Oh, I do about 45 minutes to an hour of cardio (mostly walking) 5 days a week, plus weights on alternating days and always sit ups.

Old 04-18-2006, 07:50 AM   #4
Veteran
(male)

shucky ducky HB User

Wow! Sounds like you're doing everything right. The only thing I can suggest is adding extra cardio and perhaps light to moderate strength training twice a week for 30 minutes.

Last edited by shucky ducky; 04-18-2006 at 07:50 AM.

Old 04-20-2006, 05:40 AM   #5

destinyc HB User

i know what you mean! my body is stuck at 180! i came down from 338 to 180 and im so close yet so far away from being at a normal weight.. and i cant get there!
i work out, eat right and im stuck!!
try doing a different work out routine or change what you eat to throw your system off - then you might lose again.
i've done it - but its a struggle. i go up down - right back to that 180 mark

Old 04-20-2006, 06:17 AM   #6
(female)

Pink*Sugaree HB User

i think yr diet is on the right track. just add an hour of excercise per day to it...something like walking, kickboxing, or take up a salsa dance class. you could also add an enegry booster, i like Dexatrim natural...efedra-free!

Old 04-20-2006, 06:46 AM   #7
(male)

auntyippee HB User

When your body gets stuck at a weight it has been my experience to log everything that I am eating, and I mean everything. Usually the problem lies in hidden calories that I "forgot about" and sometimes I needed to increase my calories for a couple of days then drop it. You may want to increase your heart rate when exercising. Get a heart rate monitor to determine where you are. I have found that I was exercising but not getting my heart rate up enough. Give it a shot. I would also suggest that you eat 5-6 small meals per day. You may be going to long between meals. Start with logging everything that goes into your mouth.

Old 04-20-2006, 08:30 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

MaxOT26 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by seo
Well, I think my diet's pretty good. I very from 1200 to 1400 calories a day- and they're all pretty healthy. I will occasionally have a diet coke, but mostly just drink water or tea. I don't snack, and eat 3 meals a day. Typical day would look like

Breakfast- yogurt with some fruit (grapes usually)
Lunch- a frozen meal under 300 calories, an apple and a jello cup (10 calories)
Lunch- Small piece of meat, salad with fat free dressing (the 20 calorie serving of italian) small potato or carb side and veggies.

Thanks for asking, I'd love any advice you have to offer. Oh, I do about 45 minutes to an hour of cardio (mostly walking) 5 days a week, plus weights on alternating days and always sit ups.
Unless you have some large serving sizes, I do not no where you are getting 1200-1400 calories from. The first thing you should focus on is setting your meals up so you are eating 6 times a day. You need some more protein, and more healthy fat in your diet. Both will improve fat loss. Exercise duration is not the key to burning body fat, intensity is. Researchers from the University of Kanas found that two intense 15 minute cardio sessions 6 hours apart had nearly a 40% greater impact on metabolic rates then doing one 30 minute session at a moderate pace. I would incorperate this into your stratagy. Also make sure you are strength training at least three times a week. Can you give me a sample of you normal weight lifting program?

Last edited by MaxOT26; 04-20-2006 at 08:32 AM.

Old 04-20-2006, 08:32 AM   #9
(female)

seo HB User

Thanks so much for the advice! I do exercise betweet 45 minutes and 1 hour a day- cardio mainly, but with weights added in every other day. I will shamefully admit I broke down and bought some ephedra diet pills and since starting them on Monday I'm down 3.5 pounds. I don't know if it was the pills or if it was just my body finally giving up the weight, but hopefully I'm back on track to loosing now.

I have tried upping the calories on certain days in the past and it does seem to really help. I don't know why, but it's great when you know you can eat more in a day! As for the logging of the food, I am very faithful on that. I don't put anything in my mouth without weighing it on a scale or writing it down.

Thanks again! If anyone else has any pointers, I'd love to hear them! I've got another at least 25 pounds to go.

Old 04-20-2006, 08:33 AM   #10
(female)

seo HB User

Thanks so much for the advice! I do exercise betweet 45 minutes and 1 hour a day- cardio mainly, but with weights added in every other day. I will shamefully admit I broke down and bought some ephedra diet pills and since starting them on Monday I'm down 3.5 pounds. I don't know if it was the pills or if it was just my body finally giving up the weight, but hopefully I'm back on track to loosing now.

I have tried upping the calories on certain days in the past and it does seem to really help. I don't know why, but it's great when you know you can eat more in a day! As for the logging of the food, I am very faithful on that. I don't put anything in my mouth without weighing it on a scale or writing it down.

Thanks again! If anyone else has any pointers, I'd love to hear them! I've got another at least 25 pounds to go.

Old 04-20-2006, 01:29 PM   #11
(female)

Curvy Girl HB User

Seo, you are NOT eating ENOUGH. You have lost a good amount of weight, but now your metabolism has slowed so your body won't go into "starvation mode" - so you need to re-adjust your diet.

Don't kill yourself with exercise. Exercise is great !- and very needed! - but doing too much can actually reverse what you're trying to accomplish.

You need more protein in your diet, and more complex carbs (baked potato or yam, rice, etc) and cut out simple carbs, like pasta, bread, etc. Completely ditch any processed food. Get as much sugar and sodium out of your diet as possible. That means MORE fresh fruit, FRESH veggies, and cook your own meats (eat VERY LITTLE red meat, mostly lean turkey, chicken, and fish.) Do NOT eat deli meats. They are LOADED with sodium.

Give your "new diet" a try for about a month and I'll bet you'll have lost at least 10-12 pounds.

Good luck! You can do it!

Old 04-20-2006, 08:14 PM   #12
Inactive
(female)

rlmylove HB User

add vegies, different kinds of fruits and drink lots of water

Old 04-21-2006, 06:05 PM   #13
(female)

FUNNEWFIE HB User

Well you sound like you are doing everything right I might suggest checking the sodium on those fozen dinners even tho they are low cal and low fat they are usually high in salt and we all know what salt does to us. So just check it out. Otherwise I can't see any thing wrong .

Old 04-22-2006, 06:19 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

seo,

Plateaus are really to be found in every diet for almost everyone. I find that mine always coincide with weights that I have held for a long time in my past. So I'm keen on the idea of "body memory."
They just take the patience of Job to wait out...it's hard to stick to plan when the results are so meager.

Stick with the 1200-1400 calorie regimen with exercise and eventually your weight will relent and continue downward. But RESOLVE never to let it slide up again.
Every time we do a yo-yo, we increase the odds that the next time we try to lose we will meet with abject failure.

Closed Thread