It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-21-2006, 08:28 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

susieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB User
Body says "Your good at this weight"

I have posted a few times here and wondered if anyone else is experiencing what I am going through.
I changed my lifestyle on January 1st, lost the 23 lbs, eat healthy and exercise at least 5 sometimes 6 days a week. I mix it up by doing cardio one day and weight lifting the next. I am happy with my results, I look and feel better and went from a size 10 to a size 4/6. But here's my issue:
I went from 153 to 130 - I am 5'5, female and 43 yrs old. I would REALLY like to get to 125, but no matter what, it's like my body "thinks" 130 is perfect. It's seems the only way to get to 125 would be to eat ice cubes and drink water! I would have to starve myself and I WON'T do that.
Is this normal? Can someone's body get to a certain weight and think that's all the weight I need to lose? Am I crazy??????

Old 04-21-2006, 08:53 AM   #2
Veteran

bluejbirdie HB User
Re: Body says "Your good at this weight"

It is normal. Basically your BMR has ajusted to the weight you are and the Food and Exercise you are doing. Your Body has learned to be more Efficient at using energy. if you want to lose those last few pounds you can do a couple things....Concentrate on Weight lifting and raise your food intake a little to Gain muscle and to raise your BMR. You will actually gain weight doing this but it will be muscle which is good. Then Go back to the calories you are at now to start losing again. This can take a while. you may need to do it for a few months. OR you can decrease your calories a bit more and Increase your Exercise a bit...Eith er do a bit more Exercise or raise the intensity.

We are OverFat...Not OverWeight!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-21-2006, 09:53 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

Alas,
What the metabolism thinks is normal and what the brain knows is best are often at odds.

What a hundred thousand generations of evolution has taught the appetite and the metabolism is that fat people survive a famine and skinny people don't.
In times of plenty with a reasonable assurance that it will continue, we must deal with the appetite and the metabolism like unruly children who must learn to listen to Mama...the forebrain. So it becomes a constant battle of brain vs. braun (the primitive instincts.)
It takes non-ending work to oppose what the body perceives as "normal."

If periodic famine should return, then back to the old "eat everything you can and gain as much weight as possible" might become wisdom again. Never say never!

Last edited by Lenin; 04-21-2006 at 09:55 AM.

Old 04-21-2006, 11:13 AM   #4
(female)

Curvy Girl HB User

At 43 years old, 5'5'', 130 lbs - that's practically perfect. You say you went down to a size 4/6. So what difference does it make if the scale won't move 5 more pounds?

You sound very healthy to me!

Congrats on your weight loss!

Old 04-21-2006, 12:15 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

OutToLunch HB User

susieq0726,

Homeostasis is the property of an open system, especially living organisms, to regulate its internal environment to maintain a stable, constant condition, by means of multiple dynamic equilibrium adjustments, controlled by interrelated regulation mechanisms. That's the formal definition, but it basically means that anytime you try to change your body, it will eventually adapt because it doesn't want to change. This is why people who do the same exercise stop losing fat. Their bodies learn to become more efficient and perform the same exercise with less energy. It's still possible to lose more weight if that's what you want (although I think you should focus on body fat percentage rather than weight). You just need to change your routine in a way that shocks your system into losing weight. What's also true is that the less fat you have to lose, the more your body will want to hold onto it. It's analogous to the way you look at your savings in the bank. If you've $10,000 in there, taking out $100 won't be a big deal. But if you only had $1000, then you'll be more reluctant to take out $100. The body stores fat for emergency reserves so the less you have, the more important it becomes in case of emergency. Really what it comes down to is tricking your body into thinking that you will never be in a position where you need those emergency reserves.

Old 04-21-2006, 06:39 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

KittyLove HB User

Wow SusieQ! Your post almost mirrors what I've been going through for the past 3 months!!! Only difference is I'm 5'4 and aged 38!! Oh, and it took me about 3 YEARS to go from about 155 to 130!! Congratulations on your weight loss!!

I can totally relate to your frustration. I constantly feel as if I'm AT WAR with my body. I even talk out loud to myself saying things like " I WILL weigh 118 and you can fight me all you want, but I will win!" So I understand what Lenin is talking about! And Susie, I also feel like I'm going crazy!

I also feel like my body has an internal gage set for 130 because whether I keep track of the calories or not...BINGO!!! I started counting calories about a month and a half ago, writing EVERYTHING down, weighing food, and absolutely keeping my intake under 1200 a day...the scale would dip to 129, but then go right back up!!! After 3 weeks of that, I made a decision TO LOSE THIS WEIGHT AND REACH MY GOAL OF 118!!!!!!! ENOUGH WAS ENOUGH!!!

One day at work while flipping through old magazines, I stumbled upon the 3-day fat flush diet. From experience, I've long since turned a deaf ear to fad, extreme diets, but this one caught my attention because it was only 3 days. Out of curiousity, I tried it and lost 2 pounds (From talking with others that were successful at it (5-6 lbs), I learned I bought the wrong protein powder, so MAYBE that was the difference.

Anyways, it turns out I absolutely LOVE the protein shake (the right one this time), and although I haven't retried that diet again, my eating habits have drastically changed since that diet. I have about 2-3 shakes a day, eat more veggies and fruit, cut out anything fried, cut WAY back on pasta and rice, and just about eliminated bread, wine, beer, and dairy products (they were my downfall for many years!) Although yes this was a fad diet, I believe it helped me to make healthy changes and to learn that being hungry once in awhile ISN'T going to kill me. I definitely feel more in control now, less bloated, and less polluted. I've also began weight lighting on my total gym, and am starting to tone up.

It's been a gradual battle, but I'm down to 126 now...but I still wake up every morning with the same fear..." 130 ". I just want to get as far away as I can from that stinkin' number for good!!!! I'm sorry you're going through this too, but it is nice to talk about it with someone who's just as fed up as I am!!! I hope you reach your goal!!!!

Last edited by KittyLove; 04-21-2006 at 06:58 PM.

Old 04-24-2006, 05:31 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

susieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutToLunch
susieq0726,

Homeostasis is the property of an open system, especially living organisms, to regulate its internal environment to maintain a stable, constant condition, by means of multiple dynamic equilibrium adjustments, controlled by interrelated regulation mechanisms. That's the formal definition, but it basically means that anytime you try to change your body, it will eventually adapt because it doesn't want to change. This is why people who do the same exercise stop losing fat. Their bodies learn to become more efficient and perform the same exercise with less energy. It's still possible to lose more weight if that's what you want (although I think you should focus on body fat percentage rather than weight). You just need to change your routine in a way that shocks your system into losing weight. What's also true is that the less fat you have to lose, the more your body will want to hold onto it. It's analogous to the way you look at your savings in the bank. If you've $10,000 in there, taking out $100 won't be a big deal. But if you only had $1000, then you'll be more reluctant to take out $100. The body stores fat for emergency reserves so the less you have, the more important it becomes in case of emergency. Really what it comes down to is tricking your body into thinking that you will never be in a position where you need those emergency reserves.

Out to lunch,
So what you are saying is that I should change my workouts? Maybe change my cardio routine? I don't like to run and it hurts my knees, so that's kinda out of the question. I normally do the elipitical stair master thing and usually go from 30 minutes to an hour. I suppose I could add another resistance class ( I normally do "Powerflex" or "Body Pump" two to three times a week) But there is another class that we work out with a big rubber ball. It reminds me of a "Hoppity Hop" (When I was kid!) I laughed about it until I actually did a class and was sore the following day. I guess I can try it and see what happens.

Old 04-24-2006, 07:15 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

OutToLunch HB User

You have lots of variables that you can change. With cardio, you can change the intensity, the duration, the frequency (how often you do it), when you do it, the type of cardio (running, swimming, biking, etc.). You could even do interval training, but that's something best reserved when you've exhausted other options. I do 1 hour on the elliptical every morning. Because I don't want my body to adapt to this, I try to push myself just a little bit harder each time. In general, I think it's good to aim just a little bit higher with each exercise. I used to be only be able to do 3 miles per hour on the elliptical. Now I'm up to 5 miles. My hope is to someday reach 10 miles. With weight training, you also have several variable you can change. Rest intervals, number of exercises per muscle group, reps per set, the length of each rep, or the exercises you perform. For example, you may be doing bench presses and chest flys to work your chest. You could switch and do dips and pullovers. Basically you want to surprise your body because it may have gotten used to a specific routine to the point that it anticipates what you're going to do next.

Old 04-24-2006, 07:29 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thanks Out to Lunch, and Kittylove, I feel your pain! All I want is to lose 5 more pounds - No more than that as I think 125 is a good weight for my body frame. I really want to test my body fat percentage and I am going to ask at my gym to see if they have one of those things they use. I know it's not 100% accurate as the water tank is the best measurement for this, but I have no idea where to go to find a place that will do it. At least the gym thing will give me an indication.
I just had to buy a bunch of new clothes and I do feel better, so I know I am on the right track. It's just those last stubborn pounds my body is in love with and can't seem to get rid of!
I will try mixing it up and push myself a little harder. Hopefully that will work.

Closed Thread