It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-27-2006, 08:20 PM   #1
(female)

greenfairy84 HB User
Is diet soda ok?

I've been trying to stop drinking soda because I know it's the reason I've put on weight.I tried that coke zero last night and am kinda amazed it can have no calories.What about the carbonation though? wouldn't it give you a beer belly if you drink enough of it? Or is that the difference between diet coke and zero coke? Is it the same thing for beer and light beer too?

Old 04-28-2006, 02:14 AM   #2

Kanda HB User
Re: Is diet soda ok?

diet soda has no calories, so it cant really make you gain or have a beer belly, light beer has calories in it. i wouldnt think the carbonation would have anything to do with it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-28-2006, 06:15 AM   #3
(female)

Pink*Sugaree HB User

studies show that diet coke does not aid you in your quest for a smaller waist line. I have tried diet soda, but i didn't stick to it wrong because of the taste. I may suggest Fuze. It's an energy fruit drink in a large bottle that contains only 7 calories per serving (2 servings in a bottle). It tastes like watered down flavored soda, depends on the flavor you get.

Old 04-28-2006, 06:30 AM   #4
(female)

FreeSpirit68 HB User

Diet sodas really aren't any better for you than regular sodas, even though they have lower calories. From what I understand, they still use the same kind of corn sugars that regular soda does, and the artificial sweeteners they use can exacerbate any underlying health problems you have.

I had a sister in law that drank nothing but Diet Coke for 12 years, and though she didn't eat as much as you think an overweight person would, her weight ballooned to over 350 pounds, and she developed fibromyalgia. When she was diagnosed, the first thing her MD told her to do was eliminate diet sodas immediately, as some studies show diet sodas make it worse. It was very hard for her, but she went cold turkey. The result was her fibro started to ease up, and in 2 months she lost almost 15 pounds, all without changing any other aspect of her diet.

And I don't know if anyone here has migraines, but I do, and any artificial sweetener, especially aspartame, kills my head. It's a personal choice, but I would think you'd be better off, instead of drinking diet soda, by drinking more water. Even flavored waters are starting to taste better, and I'm a slave to Peach flavored waters!

Old 04-28-2006, 06:30 AM   #5
(female)

FreeSpirit68 HB User

Diet sodas really aren't any better for you than regular sodas, even though they have lower calories. From what I understand, they still use the same kind of corn sugars that regular soda does, and the artificial sweeteners they use can exacerbate any underlying health problems you have.

I had a sister in law that drank nothing but Diet Coke for 12 years, and though she didn't eat as much as you think an overweight person would, her weight ballooned to over 350 pounds, and she developed fibromyalgia. When she was diagnosed, the first thing her MD told her to do was eliminate diet sodas immediately, as some studies show diet sodas make it worse. It was very hard for her, but she went cold turkey. The result was her fibro started to ease up, and in 2 months she lost almost 15 pounds, all without changing any other aspect of her diet.

And I don't know if anyone here has migraines, but I do, and any artificial sweetener, especially aspartame, kills my head. It's a personal choice, but I would think you'd be better off, instead of drinking diet soda, by drinking more water. Even flavored waters are starting to taste better, and I'm a slave to Peach flavored waters!

Old 04-28-2006, 06:29 PM   #6

smooth9825 HB User

Diet soda does NOT make you gain weight. There is no corn syrup in diet soda, because that would add calories. Some people claim that artificial sweeteners cause health problems, but the lab tests have been done where test animals received thousands of times the daily dose for months and developed no problems. What it comes down to is that diet soda is MUCH better for you than regular, and can be very helpful when it comes to weight loss. The only possible downside is the Caffeine in soda can increase appetite, but only minimally.

Old 04-28-2006, 07:06 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

kehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB User

I think you might be confused about the carbonation, and thinking that that equals carbs.... Carbs are carbohydrates, like sugars and starches and such. Carbonation is just the addition of carbon dioxide dissolved in the liquid to make it fizzy.

There's a ton of different opinions on whether diet soda will keep you from losing weight, or cause you to gain weight, or whatever. My opinion is that if I'm going to drink soda, I drink diet because it doesn't have any calories. But I try to drink water more than soda, to avoid the caffeine mostly. So I usually try to drink water, but on occassion I have a soda and I make it diet. Drinking several diet sodas in a day probably isn't good for you, just because of all the caffeine if nothing else. But if you want to drink a diet soda every once in a while, go ahead.

Old 04-28-2006, 07:23 PM   #8
(female)

greenfairy84 HB User

Hmmm,lots of mixed views here.thank you everyone for your replys.I do drink lots of water but when i'm eating a meal I want something with flavor to go with it.I love those fuze drinks but they are sooo expensive to buy and drink everyday. I work in a resturant so when I eat on my break my only options are water and sodas.I hate the taste of diet coke so I thought of buying diet Dr. Pepper since I heard it taste better,to help with my soda/sugar addiction so I can lose weight.I may do that and just really only limit myself to a couple a day.All this time I thought drinking a lot of carbonated drinks (beer and soda) is what caused a bloated belly.

Old 04-28-2006, 08:12 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

kehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB User

Carbonation may cause temporary bloating of the stomach because it's filling up with gas, but that should pass...

My favorite option for flavored beverages is crystal light made 1/2 strength. I prefer the raspberry lemonade flavor from crystal light, but the brand name is kind of expensive. Wyler's light raspberry ice is pretty good, too. I usually drink the meijer's brand, which is fine, just doesn't have the range of flavors that the brand names do.

You could also try those flavored waters. I prefer the taste of the Aquafina and Nestle brands over the Dasani, but try a few and see what you like. There are several other brands as well.

Of course, some people argue that these drinks aren't much better than soda because they still contain artificial sweeteners, but they don't have caffeine or carbonation. And if you get the crystal light stuff, you can dilute it so you're somewhat controlling the amount of artificial sweetener that you are getting.

Old 04-29-2006, 06:33 PM   #10
Veteran

bluejbirdie HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by smooth9825
Diet soda does NOT make you gain weight. There is no corn syrup in diet soda, because that would add calories. Some people claim that artificial sweeteners cause health problems, but the lab tests have been done where test animals received thousands of times the daily dose for months and developed no problems. What it comes down to is that diet soda is MUCH better for you than regular, and can be very helpful when it comes to weight loss. The only possible downside is the Caffeine in soda can increase appetite, but only minimally.
I completely agree! Although Diet soda is probably not healthy overall...Its is still Much better then Regular soda.

The Reason why They have found that people that drink diet soda still gain weight is that they believe that Most peopl that drink it still over eat...they feel since they arent getting any calories from the soda they can afford to eat more.

There are Plenty of people out there that have lost plenty of weight just from switching from regular soda to Diet soda.

As for the safety of Artificial sweetners...that can be debated till we are blue in the face...just look at it realistically. ...Billions of people Have artificial sweetners everyday....Not one single Health oraganization, diabetes organization or cancer organization in the entire world believes that it is not safe.

Almost Anything can be toxic if you have too much of it...the key is moderation.

We are OverFat...Not OverWeight!

Closed Thread