It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-10-2006, 09:09 AM   #1
(female)

tbassham HB User
Hypnosis for Weight Loss

Has anyone tried hypnosis for weight loss or know anything about it?

Old 05-17-2006, 01:14 PM   #2

smooth9825 HB User
Re: Hypnosis for Weight Loss

its all a crock. you cant be hypnotized into doing anything you dont want to. if you want to lose weight, you have to buckle down, set some goals, and just do it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-23-2006, 05:44 PM   #3
(male)

need_to_loose HB User

Ease up there Smooth, She asked a ligitamate question !!

and just for your information, it's not always as easy as "just buckle down and do it". it may be for you, but not for everybody.

TBASSHAM: I have been fighting the weight loss issue most of my 42 years and continue to loose the fight. I recently have been exploring OTHER options for weight loss including hypnosis, and while I'll agree that MOST of it is a crock there are a few legitimate therapists that have proven it can help, help mind you, not cure. you still have to work very hard at excercise and diet but it can help with the mental part of the equation. you need to make sure there is no underlying medical condition that is preventing weight loss, I know there are a few things that can make it difficult if not impossible to loose weight. I know most of my issues come from sitting in front of the tv, when watching, it's like being zoned out and not even realizing how much I'm eating. when I do DECIDE to diet I have cravings that have to be similar to drug withdrawls. I get evil and mean when I'm dieting.

Old 05-25-2006, 02:18 PM   #4

tenagain HB User

Yes, I have tried hypnosis and I believe that it worked for awhile. Once I was hypnotized I lost 6 pounds over the course of 2 months, which for me was very good as I had been at a plateau for a year!

I was skeptical of the process but decided to try it anyway. I don't remember details of the session itself other than wishing I had dressed warmer because I was cold. I vaguely remember the lady talking about the color red and wondering what that was all about.

TWo days after the session I was in the cafeteria at work and a gentleman walked by with a bright red shirt on, and suddenly my appetite was gone! I am not kidding, it is for real. I tested this theory several times after that with the same results. That effect lasted for 2 weeks and gradually lessened.

I was given CD's to listen to and was instructed to listen to them twice a day. Initially I did, but gradually (as with all my other weight loss plans) I backed off and eventually stopped listening and of course the weight loss stopped.

Whether the weight loss stopped because I stopped listening to the tapes, or because the hypnosis wore off or what, I'm not sure.

Whether I was really hypnotised or just believed I was, there was a noticeable change in my eating behavior, for awhile. I've never gone back for another session, although I can go free for a lifetime now. I've toyed with the idea but I've always chose to try to "do it on my own"---until lately I've plateued again and I need some help! Thanks for the idea I think I will look into when the next session is!

Old 05-26-2006, 04:45 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

Hypnosis is a very effective way to change behavior.
Lots of eating problems come from bad habits that have been learned over the years and decades and must be UNLEARNED...that's the primary goal of hypnosis.

Examples of some things you can "unlearn":
I MUST finish my plate.
I MUST eat 3 full meals a day.
I MUST open the refrigerator door every time I enter the kichen.
I MUST eat before I go somewhere where I'm not sure there will be food.
HUNGER pangs MUST immediately be tended to.
I feel sad, therefore I MUST eat.
I MUST have meat at every meal or else risk "starvation."
Avoiding the scale because someone says that you can "carry" the weight telling yourself "it's all muscle."

Hypnosis is really nothing more than relaxed suggestibility and it can be very useful and effective in confronting and defeating the silly notions that we build up all our lives.

Old 05-30-2006, 07:54 AM   #6
(male)

need_to_loose HB User

I've been continplating hypnosis because most if not all of my eating habbits are just that, habbits. I know about healthy eating and all that I just can't put it in action. most of my "bad times" come when I'm sitting watching tv. it's like I must eat when I'm watching. I think hypnosis can help change that behavior if nothing else, that would cut most of the bad diet out of my life.

Closed Thread