It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-25-2006, 05:50 PM   #1
(female)

BabyJulie HB User
Why Cant I Lose Weight?!?

I am so frustrated with myself, I gave birth 1 year ago and I am still 13 pounds overweight!

I weighed 115lbs before pregnancy and I am still at 128. What can I do to lose weight? I dont each much since I work from 8 to 5 im a secretary and I am always super busy so in the morning I will usually eat a piece of toast with butter and on my lunch break some soup or something. When I get home I eat a decent meal. Ireally want to lose this weight I am so depressed, I want to look good again!

I have a coworker that tells me they sell some pills that make you super hyper so you lose weight will this work? help!

Old 06-26-2006, 06:44 AM   #2
(female)

katied1183 HB User
Talking Re: Why Cant I Lose Weight?!?

I think a good starting point for figure out how to efficiently lose the weigth would be to look at what your actual calorie intake is for the day. Then, you should calculate your BMR -- Basal Metabolic Rate. Just type that in to any search engine and it will explain it to you and probably offer you a free caluclator. Essentially, your BMR is the amount of calories you would burn in 24 hours just by laying in bed/being alive. Let's say your BMR is 1400 calories. Now let's say you burn another 600 calories in a day by walking around/working/taking care of your child etc etc. This means that to MAINTAIN your weight you'd need to be eating 2000 calories.

You say you don't eat a lot -- but here's the problem -- it sounds like you don't eat enough! I'm sure you've heard this before but it really is true -- you need to EAT to lose weight! If you add up the amount of calories you eat in a typical day and that number is less than your BMR number (plus whatever you burn thru daily activities), this means that your metabolism has slowed down in order to conserve body fat because your body thinks its being starved. In theory, if your metabolism was at a normal rate for your height/age/weight, then you SHOULD be losing weight if your calorie intake is lower than what you burn in a day. The fact that you say you're not losing weight is a sign that you need to get your metabolism up higher and start eating in a way that promotes weight loss.

So that's the starting point -- figure out how many calories you're burning in a day and how many you're consuming. Ideally, to lose weight you shoudl aim for a calories deficit of about 500 calories a day. THis would help you lose 1 pound a week (500 X 7 = 3500 calories = 1 pound of fat).

One of the BEST ways to kickstart your metabolism and get yourself burnign more calories is to eat more often! It really is not a good idea to "starve" yourself at work all day (even if it's unintentional) and then eat once you get home. You need to keep your body fed all day long so that it's constantly in calories burning mode. You should be eating at MINIMUM every 3 hours. and eat breakfast!!!! A good rule of thumb is to eat six small meals a day. The main 3 meals (bfast, lunch, dinner) should be about 400 calories each (you could of course make one 500 cals and another 300). Your 3 snacks can be about 100 or so cals each. This would give you about 1500 cals for the day. For the average person, this is enough calories to get all of your nutrients and to feed your body healthfully while still promoting weight loss through a calorie deficit ( your consume less than you burn).

and of course don't forget.....try to find the time to exercise!!! i knwo you must be busy w/work and having a 1 year old, but it's so important for your long term health AND for losing weight! plus, it sounds like you could really use a kickstart to your metoblism seeing as you don't eat that much and still can't lose the weight. exercise (cardio especially) is the best way to get that metabolism going!

hope this helps, keep us posted on what you decide to do for a diet/workout plan!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread