It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....



Weight Loss Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-04-2006, 06:20 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 667
Smartpants HB User
Weight Loss without Intense Cardio???

I just finished watching the show X weighted, a weightloss show that follows people over 4-6 months trying to lose weight. The girl was like me, started at about 170 and her goal was 140. This girl worked her *** off and (with the help of ephedra) was able to get down to 150 in 4 months. So it got me thinking....

....is it realistic to think that by cutting calories and increasing daily activities (i.e. walking more, playing badminton, and other little increases) that I will achieve noticable weightloss over time? Or does it really require intense cardio like these people on the shows seem to do???

 
Old 07-04-2006, 06:49 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 777
OutToLunch HB User
Re: Weight Loss without Intense Cardio???

Sounds like you're looking for a reason not to do intense cardio. I think that's the wrong attitude to have. I think a big reason why people are so sick these days is precisely because they're trying to avoid doing hard work. I personally hate exercise. If I could lose weight through diet alone, I'd do it. If I could lose weight just by walking and never having to sweat, I'd do it. But I would be missing out on so many of the benefits of vigorous exercise. Instead of asking yourself whether intense exercise is necessary, ask yourself how much healthier you'd be if you did exercise intensely on a regular basis. Forget about whether you could lose weight without having to exercise so intensely. In fact, try to disconnect exercise and weight loss as much as possible and just focus on the health benefits it offers. If you do that, you'll have an easier time sticking to regular exercise, your overall health will improve, and weight loss will become an added bonus.

 
Sponsors Lightbulb
   
Old 07-04-2006, 07:03 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 667
Smartpants HB User
Re: Weight Loss without Intense Cardio???

Very good points. And you're right, I am looking for an excuse not to do cardio. I want my plan to be a lifelong thing and it is just not practical to expect myself to do 40-60 minutes of intense cardio (meaning elliptical or bike) per day. On the other hand, I CAN walk that much per day - its practical. When I walk, I do walk quite fast and DO build up quite the sweat, so not like im sitting at home or walking leisurely. And from what I've heard, arent the beenfits of fast wlaking similar to that of jogging or more intense cardio? I guess time will tell, but you bring up very good points - health benefits in addition to weight loss.

 
Old 07-04-2006, 08:55 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 777
OutToLunch HB User
Re: Weight Loss without Intense Cardio???

Be careful when you say doing intense cardio everyday isn't practical. The thing that I've learned is that if something is important enough to you, you'll make the time for it. That applies to a lot of things, not just exercise. I used to tell myself I didn't have the time to exercise 1 hour everyday. But now I get up 1 hour earlier because the benefits of exercise are important enough to me where it's worth missing out on that extra hour of sleep. Now I'm not saying you have to get up at 5 am like me, but be honest with yourself when you say it's not practical. A friend of mine who's a single mom doesn't have time in the morning or evening to exercise because she can't leave her daughter alone. So she goes to the gym during her lunch hour instead. Sure it stinks to have to give up your lunch hour like that, but I admire her for making her health a priority. Another reason I say you should aim to disassociate exercise with fat loss is because over time as you get closer to your goal, it becomes easier to skip out on doing exercise. I've run into that problem recently. Because I'm no longer overweight, I'll have my days where I feel a little lazy and say to myself, "You're not fat so it's OK if you skip exercise today." Well if you say that once, then you might say it again and before you know it, the weight creeps back. Now I exercise for its own sake and in the back of my mind, it's kind of like an insurance policy in case I overeat.

 
Old 07-05-2006, 04:41 AM   #5
Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 491
bluejbirdie HB User
Re: Weight Loss without Intense Cardio???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smartpants
Very good points. And you're right, I am looking for an excuse not to do cardio. I want my plan to be a lifelong thing and it is just not practical to expect myself to do 40-60 minutes of intense cardio (meaning elliptical or bike) per day. On the other hand, I CAN walk that much per day - its practical. When I walk, I do walk quite fast and DO build up quite the sweat, so not like im sitting at home or walking leisurely. And from what I've heard, arent the beenfits of fast wlaking similar to that of jogging or more intense cardio? I guess time will tell, but you bring up very good points - health benefits in addition to weight loss.
You have a pretty sensible attitude...Of course you dont HAVE to do Intense Cardio. And you are right to consider the fact that you want your Change to be life long...in which case the changes you make are pones that you feel you can make life long. If you dont think Adding that type of Cardio can be life long then by all means do not do it.

But Consider the fact that it is very good for you...maybe you can at least give it a try...you dont have to do it alot...maybe even just once a week.

After doing it for a while you may find that you actually start to enjoy it. I believe MAny People dont like it because it is too hard for them...but the more they do the easier it becomes and the more enjoyable it becomes.

I used to Hate Running...MAinly cause if I tried I could barely do it and it was just too hard....but I stuck with it and now I cant enough. I feel Lost when I am not able to run.

There are a lot of other benefits to cardio then just weightloss and I think it is worth it to at least try it for a good period of time before deciding that you dont wan to do it.
__________________
Weight Loss can be Quick! But Fat Loss takes Time!

We are OverFat...Not OverWeight!

 
Old 07-05-2006, 05:08 AM   #6
Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 88
Acemartini HB User
Re: Weight Loss without Intense Cardio???

What do you consider intense cardio? I have not watched the show you are referring to, but have watched other weight loss shows. These people seem to do nothing but work out 24/7. That is unrealistic, but I would do it if I got paid to do nothing but eat sensibly & exercise all day in the spa-like setting!

Ok, a little off track there. But, everyone has a different opinion of what intense cardio is. For example, I sweat like crazy when I do weight lifting. But I do not consider that cardio, let alone intense cardio. If you walk fast enough to break a sweat then that is good enough in my opinion. You mentioned lifelong - if you don't enjoy or don't want to work out as intensely as the people on the show, you will not do it for a lifetime..... so, what's the point? Do what you enjoy doing & you will see results that will last a lifetime.

 
Old 07-05-2006, 07:10 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 8,484
Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User
Re: Weight Loss without Intense Cardio???

Intense cardio, just plain cardo, walking, swimming, or biking use a finite amount of energy (calories) thus they allow for eating a little more food to maintain the same weight...or the converse, lose weight with the same food.
Strictly for weight loss purposes, though, exercise is NOT necessary IF the food can be curtailed sufficiently. It is possible for couch potatoes to lose any amount of weight they want simply by cutting back on the amount they eat.

Of course, exercise is healthy and CARDIO exercise is healthy for the heart. These are nice bonuses and make for a better life...but weight CAN be controlled without them.

A person in a coma will lose weight if his food is restricted.

Last edited by Lenin; 07-05-2006 at 07:12 AM.

 
Old 07-05-2006, 08:14 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 777
OutToLunch HB User
Re: Weight Loss without Intense Cardio???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenin
It is possible for couch potatoes to lose any amount of weight they want simply by cutting back on the amount they eat.
This only works up to a point. The body is remarkably good at adapting to change. You can cut back on food, lose weight, but eventually the body will learn to become more efficient with less food. If you have a significant amount of fat you need to lose, you will eventually have to exercise because food restriction wil only get you so far. What's also true is that exercise causes your body to become more efficient at using the energy contained in the food you do eat.

 
Old 07-05-2006, 08:22 AM   #9
Veteran
(male)
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Michigan
Posts: 326
shucky ducky HB User
Re: Weight Loss without Intense Cardio???

Who said you have to perform intense cardio 40-60 minutes every day? From what I've heard, intense cardio 30 to 40 minutes, 3 times a week is plenty if you are trying to lose weight. But, you do have to get some type of cardio in at least 5-6 days a week. It doesn't have to be intense every day. Walking 6 days a week is a wonderful cardio workout. Running 3 out of those 6 day is your intense cardio.

And for anyone thinking they can get away with losing weight and skipping the cardio, boy are you in for a surprise! I mean, it's not impossible. But if you delete the cardio, it will take you 2 to 3 times as long to lose the weight. And who wants to be on a weight reduction plan any longer than necessary?

Last edited by shucky ducky; 07-05-2006 at 08:25 AM.

 
Old 07-05-2006, 11:49 AM   #10
Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 491
bluejbirdie HB User
Re: Weight Loss without Intense Cardio???

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutToLunch
This only works up to a point. The body is remarkably good at adapting to change. You can cut back on food, lose weight, but eventually the body will learn to become more efficient with less food. If you have a significant amount of fat you need to lose, you will eventually have to exercise because food restriction wil only get you so far. What's also true is that exercise causes your body to become more efficient at using the energy contained in the food you do eat.
Not true....You can lose all the weight you want without any exercise..It may take longer..but it can be done and is done all the time. Look at most people that have gastric bypass or Lapband...many do not do any exercise at all.

I am by no means advocating not to exercise.....I believe it is very important to do.
__________________
Weight Loss can be Quick! But Fat Loss takes Time!

We are OverFat...Not OverWeight!

 
Old 07-05-2006, 12:11 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(male)
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 777
OutToLunch HB User
Re: Weight Loss without Intense Cardio???

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluejbirdie
Not true....You can lose all the weight you want without any exercise.
Wrong, wrong, wrong. This is why we have a country full of lazy people. They'd rather starve themselves thin. But they run into the same wall that everyone else does. The metabolism slows down and learns to get by on less calories. If what you said were true, no one would ever bother exercising. Gyms across the country would be going out of business as would makers of exercise equipment. And I couldn't help but notice how you picked extreme examples like Gastric Bypass to prove your point. If someone who's 300 pounds suddenly cuts their calories in half, of course they're going to lose a lot of weight. But someone who only needs to lose 20 pounds will be able to lose 5-10 by dieting, but eventually the body will adjust. Once again, I have to ask where you get your information cause it's seriously flawed.

 
Old 07-05-2006, 05:31 PM   #12
Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 491
bluejbirdie HB User
Re: Weight Loss without Intense Cardio???

You gotta be kidding right?

People Lose Weight all the time without Exercise.

Yes...Exercise is Important....Particularily for over all Health. but it is in no ways critical to losing weight! IT makes it better..thats for sure! By all means the best way to lose weight is to Combine both a good diet with exercise.

Losing weight with exercise is also Much better as you will lose less muscle. But it doesnt mean that it cant be done.

In Fact many studies have found that Exercise actually has a very small effect on the Amount of Total Weight lost. (These studies have been done when comparing dieting alone to Exercise 30-40 minutes, 3 time a week)

Now if someone is exercising 60 minutes a day 6 days a week that is a different story....but most people dont have time for that much exercise.
__________________
Weight Loss can be Quick! But Fat Loss takes Time!

We are OverFat...Not OverWeight!

 
Old 07-05-2006, 06:03 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 667
Smartpants HB User
Re: Weight Loss without Intense Cardio???

the last post goes back to my original question, perhaps added activities (more walking throughout the day, playing badminton, walks at night) in addition to less calories consumed SHOULD be enough for weight loss..i know intense cardio would speed up the process, but I guess i still question its necessity...i guess ill see how this goes and get back to you all on it!

 
Old 07-06-2006, 01:35 AM   #14
Newbie
(female)
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 9
martinez_am18 HB User
Re: Weight Loss without Intense Cardio???

it is a great work out. Shaquille O'Neal also did an intense cardio. just continue doing and results will come soon.

 
Old 07-06-2006, 04:13 AM   #15
Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 491
bluejbirdie HB User
Re: Weight Loss without Intense Cardio???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smartpants
the last post goes back to my original question, perhaps added activities (more walking throughout the day, playing badminton, walks at night) in addition to less calories consumed SHOULD be enough for weight loss..i know intense cardio would speed up the process, but I guess i still question its necessity...i guess ill see how this goes and get back to you all on it!
to your original question..Yes! it should be Fine! Any exercise at all is better then None!
__________________
Weight Loss can be Quick! But Fat Loss takes Time!

We are OverFat...Not OverWeight!

 
Closed Thread

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Board Replies Last Post
Weight Loss, stubborn fat, and muscle mass Shadnic Exercise & Fitness 10 01-19-2009 08:47 PM
Cardio or weight lifting? heathcliff Weight Loss 8 05-09-2006 01:05 PM
Cardio for fat loss snuggle377 Exercise & Fitness 29 02-09-2006 11:53 AM
Weight loss cnh4alt Men's Health 1 07-09-2005 04:32 PM
Questions About Weight Training. nascar Exercise & Fitness 6 04-10-2005 03:58 PM




Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Join Our Newsletter

Stay healthy through tips curated by our health experts.

Whoops,

There was a problem adding your email Try again

Thank You

Your email has been added




Top 10 Drugs Discussed on this Board.
(Go to DrugTalk.com for complete list)
Effexor Meridia
Paxil
Phentermine
Potassium
  Prozac
Synthroid
Xenical
Wellbutrin
Zoloft




TOP THANKED CONTRIBUTORS



janewhite1 (8), slenderella (4), Administrator (3), Kszan (3), hollns (3), Lisa_P (3), Jess75 (3), ustalaughalot (2), EagleRiverDee (2), dropkickcassie (2)

Site Wide Totals

teteri66 (1180), MSJayhawk (1004), Apollo123 (903), Titchou (847), janewhite1 (823), Gabriel (759), ladybud (754), sammy64 (668), midwest1 (668), BlueSkies14 (610)



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:10 AM.



Site owned and operated by HealthBoards.comô
Terms of Use © 1998-2014 HealthBoards.comô All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!