It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-20-2006, 04:54 AM   #1
(female)

*Lai* HB User
Metabolism and problem with eating (long post- sorry)

Hi, i was hoping i could get some advice about our metabolism. The thing is, is that recently i have been very depressed and suicidal about my weight
and so now i am finding it difficult to eat much during the day. I have developed this hatred for food and i'm becoming scared of carbohydrates.

I was just wondering how many calories can you eat before your body goes into starvation mode ( and how many days before this happens).
Yesterday i had 1 weetabix and 1/4 pint of milk for breakfast then i had an orange and a chicken wing every 3 hours (from my mums curry, and ate after i washed off all the curry and spices off). So i think that was bout 4 chicken wings. I also had a few cups of orange juice. I think i must have only consumed about 900cals. I drank alot of water. I then did some cardio for about 30-40 minutes and i did 500 sit ups, and the weather was about 30- 32 OC, so i was sweating after 5 minutes.

I just dont want my metabolism to go into starvation mode but i have been trying to diet for 5 months and saw no change. And over the past month or 2 i have been becoming more and more depresed and suicidal about my weight. I have trouble leaving my house. So now i just dont want to eat any food.

I am working with a psychologist about my eating but the healthy eating route isnt working for me and i just want to lose some weight to give me a boost.

Aslo i dont really know what to eat either, to increase my calorie intake. I want to stay away from white bread, and potatoes and fat.
What type of bread is best to eat, is it the wheatgerm one? And how much better is wholemeal pasta than normal pasta??

In the past i used to live off vegetables and little bites of food here and there but i told myself i wouldnt go bak to that because i had so much weight to lose and i wanted to do it healthy so it stayed off. But the only thing i have managed to do is cut out my fizzy dirnks and my weight still went up.

In the past year i found that my medication was making me gain weight and my body completely changed size, its awful. So i changed meds, but i think my body has become used to a slow metabolism. It doesnt help that i feel tired from my meds all the time.

Also, another question i have about metabolism is that, can you prevent your metabolism goin into starvation mode if you keep it up by doing lots of exercise?? Because exercise does affect your metabolism right??

I'm just lost and confused about everything.

Please help

Thank You.

ps, this is really delicate subject for me because i have become very depressed and suicidal about my weight and food, so i would appreciate it if you went easy on me and spared me the lectures and telling off. Thank You

Last edited by *Lai*; 07-20-2006 at 05:06 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-20-2006, 05:38 AM   #2
(male)

goexplodex4 HB User
Exclamation Re: Metabolism and problem with eating (long post- sorry)

Well, from my experience, you can go into starvation mode after a day or 2, and then ure just gaining it back the minute u eat adequate calories.

First of all the main thing is what your eating, its not healthy, I did low carb for a long time, and I just got dizzy and lost 0 weight. The fact is though, ure not even doing low carb, Orange juice has tons of carbs, though I dont think thats the worst part.

This is what worked for me, I lost 85lbs and Im working on toning.

IMO, one thing ure focusing on is carbs. Carbs prevent starvation mode. I can get you 900 calories if u wanna crash diet like that, but i think u should move up to 12-1400 even if u wanna crash. The best thing u can do is to cut ure diet by 500 calories from what you normally should eat. With excersize thatll be 2lbs a week.

What your doing is setting yourself up for failure. Do you really think you can have 4 chicken wigns a day and be happy.

Try this sample diet. Start your morning with a 100% whole grain english muffin and a slice of turkey. Protein and carbs, your up to bout 150 calories, but already your eating well.

Lunch have a turkey or cooked ham sandwich on 100% whole wheat and a salad with low fat dressing. That about 450 calories.

Have a sensible dinner like chicken breast and even yes THE DREADED POTATO! The fact is potatoes get a bad wrap when they arent even bad for you. ITs the sour cream and butter thats bad. My favorite (almost ritualistic) was to cover a baked potato in salsa. But anyway youve got yourself a 450 calorie dinner thats ALL HEALTHY.

Were up to what 1050? Ok we got MINIMUM AT LEAST 150 calories for a snack. Nothings gonna beat an apple or strawberries and a yogurt on the side.

Lets say you pig out and have both, youve got no more than 1250 or so, and you probably should have around 1400, but if it makes u feel bette, 1250 it is. O yeah, and infinite vegetables that dont have some sort of topping. You can literally eat as much celery, lettuce, spinach, as u want. I dont like to say eat as much as u want because diets are about restriction, butwith raw veggies, I think I can say that.

Notice I didnt have juice in there or anything like that. Juice/pop is pure energy sugar carbs that require no digestion. IMO nothing should be drank on a diet with the exception of water/some skim milk.

The best type of bread is always gonna be 100% whole wheat bread. Lowcal breads are nothing but smaller slices, dont believe me, get two whole grain breads, one regular one light. Look at the calories, then compare the grams in a serving. Its perfectly matched. Not wheat bread, only get something if it says 100% whole grain, not just whole grain. Whole grain pasta is a little better for you yes, but I try to keep away from too much pasta because its pure carbohydrate. Get enough of a protein/carb mix in ure diet.

Dont be a afraid of food, its what keeps you locked to it. Ive spent a long time getting over it myself. Realize that what you eat is what you are literally. Dont starve yourself, dont hurt your body. The goal is always to be healthy and cosmetics come second. Do a diet you can stick on. Took me 9 months.

Dont blame it all on medication. It will just drag you down.
FInally to answer ure queation, your metabo will stay up from excersize definaly, but its not going to chug away at normal if u dont eat right. Losing starts with eating. If you have any questions dont be afraid to ask.

O and as always at least 30-40 minutes of cardio every day!

Last edited by goexplodex4; 07-20-2006 at 05:52 AM.

Old 07-20-2006, 06:01 AM   #3
(female)

*Lai* HB User
Re: Metabolism and problem with eating (long post- sorry)

Hi, thanx for your reply, i appreciate the advice and support. But i would like to say that i am not trying to do low carb. I dont want to and i am not intentially tyring to starve myself. Although in the past i did.
I had the juice yesterday because i was very thirsty and i wanted some flavour rather that plain water, so i added robinsons juice.

The reason why i dont eat much carbs is because i have developed a fear of eating them and after watchinhg my wieght go up whilst trying to diet and eat healthy foods like potatoes and brown rice for the past 5 months i have see my weight shoot up rather than lose any. So i am confused and very depressed.

I ate mostly chicken yesterday because thats what was made at home and it was easy to just grab some. Like i said i have developed a hatred for food and just dont feel hungry because i have become so depresed about my weight and suicidal.

I appreciate the menu sample, but i cannot eat some foods you mentioned. Because of my religion, i cant eat ham or turkey and i know nothing about salad and dressing and how to make chicken breasts withour adding chilies and curry powder and oil.
If i have to diet i have to make my own food and i have no idea half the time how to make it and my mum is no help unless its indian dishes that i want to make. I know that might sound stupid but i'm of a differnet culutre than yourself so some foods and methods of cooking are alien to me.

I do like your idea of yougurt and fruit so i will defintely eat that. But i dont kno if you meant low fat yogurt, because dont they add lots of sugar to that or someting?? I dont know, i'm very confused.
Its very hard for me to diet because i am so depressed about my weight and how i look that i dont go out, so going to buy groceries is a challenge. When i have tried going out before i always run into someone i know and they comment on my weight and exagerate my weight gain even after 12 months (i used to be very slim before) and so i feel awful and suicidal.

So like i said i'm just lost to what to do anymore. I'l eat if i feel hungry but i hate what food has done to me that i despise it.

But thanx again for your advice.

xx

Last edited by *Lai*; 07-20-2006 at 06:05 AM.

Old 07-20-2006, 07:19 AM   #4
(male)

goexplodex4 HB User

Ok, then chicken it is.

Here is how to make chicken that you can always have.

One is just grill it, literally thaw a chicken breast and throw it on the grill until its cooked to your liking (outside or George Foreman) and some people prefer this mehtod. Just put the chicken, frozen or nto in a pan and put lots of water in the pan (no oil, nothing) and just continually add small amounts of water untile the chicken is cooked. The water prevents it from sticking to the pan. I just do this on high heat, but it makes a lot of steam. I cant stress enough since u cant have other proteins how you should eat this chicken. Curry powder is nothing, if u want throw that on, its not that that hurts you. (1tablespoon is 20 calories and <1g of fat, nothing at all!)

Salad dressing, Just2Good brand is great for low fat dieters, but you have to get used to reading the label. Look for <3g of sugar and <4g of fat. Choose Any flavor you like. Use only 2tblspoons on a large salad though. You can get ready to eat bag salad mixes in any grocery store. I like romaine blends.

Potatoes are not going to make u gain weight, especially on one a day. Believe me, Ive spent a long time looking into it. Just cut the fat and sugar.

Low fat yogurt (get the kind that contains live and active yogurt cultures so u get the benefits) is what you want. Activa is good, and basically any light yogurt out there. Breyers light is my favorite

I know its hard because ure depressed, but one thing u have to do is just look in the mirror and say, stop it. Being depressed and sulking about it isnt doing anything, in fact sulking makes it worse. Be happy with who you are and that you recognize you have a goal to meet. Most people just ignore it until its a huge problem.

So you can still take the ENTIRE diet i proposed before and replace turkey/ham with chicken. You can get sliced chicken breast at the store too 98% fat free!

I know you want some flavor in you drinks but I really advise against it. Once you get on water, youll realize how great it is. Think, one pop a day, 7 days a week that 1400 calories your saving. in a month thats over 5600 calories, almost 2 pounds. Same goes for juice, just cause its natural doesnt mean its not sugar. If you crave orange juice, have an orange, get the fiber and nutrition, not just the sugar. I dont reccomend diet drinks because thats one more thing ure addicted to, but if u have to splurge u might try some sparkling cherry water beverage. 0 calories.

I promise u wont gain weight from a potato a day. Just get it to your mind that calories consumed<calories used means weight loss. Its science. No drugs can keep you from needing energy, not matter what. A potato is 100 calories, nothing more.

O and I forgot an important secret. If you dont eat 4 hours before bed you can be sure no food ure eating will turn to fat as u sleep. Thats helped me A LOT.

Skipping meals and eating tiny bits wont help. The main thing u need to do is calm down. You weight is a small part of who you are. It shouldnt dictate the other 95% of you. You recognize ure problem and ure correcting it, but u will NEVER succeed unless ure positive about it.

One again im no doctor and these are all just things that I have found to work, but Im sure they can help u. If you like ask you own doctor for a nutrition plan or even get a fitworks personal trainer (my buddy lost 35lbs using one of those) I think their like 20 bucks a session or something. Try to calm down, dont panic so much, stress causes fat retention as well. Just look to the future and say it will come off its just gonna take time. Noone is permanently fat. I am a firm believer that everything in life is a choice. Choose your path and walk it.

Last edited by goexplodex4; 07-20-2006 at 07:21 AM.

Old 07-20-2006, 08:04 AM   #5
(female)

*Lai* HB User

Thank you again. Your reply is full of all the information i was lookin for. I'v been trying to work out a diet that i can stick to that contains brown rice and pasta ( i really enjoy them and i have a feeling if i totally ignore them now, i will at one point in my life go back to eating them, cuz i enjoy them, so i might aswell eat a little now). Would you look over my diet when i have kinda sorted it out? But it might be a few days yet.

Thank you for the information about how to cook the chicken. Do you put any onions in the pan with the water?? And do you just put it under the grill with nothing on the chicken? How long does that take to cook?
( i dont really like meaty chicken (chicken breasts) but i can have it in small portions).

I'l work my way to eating a potatoe here and there.

I want to make my own sandwiches aswell but i cant calculae exactly how many cals are init. But i want to use only the healthiest bread. Are homemade sandwiches better than ones brought from the store?? They are alot easier to help with counting calories as they have the info on the packaging.

Thank you for the info on the yogurt, i think i might try go out on sunday and get everything for my diet,there is no1 around on a sunday so its easier to go out n not be seen.

I have been drinking just water for a few weeks now. I dont drink pop and i dont usually drink juice. It was just yesterday because it was sooo hot i just wanted something more than water. but i'm back to water today and i agree with you that it is great, especially when its ice cold.

I also try to eat every 3 hours, my last meal is around about 8pm, thats after i am done cooking for my dad and the cleaning is done. I try fit it in earlier but it hardly happens. Idealy, i dont want to eat after 6/7pm.

Do you know when its best to exercise. At the moment i have trouble gettting up early because i have trouble sleeping. But i exercise at the end of the day for now around 9ish and then i have a shower and go bed.

I have always had problems with my eating and was borderline for an eating disorder a few years back, thats why it affects me soo much. The change in my body after gaining weight is one that i could have never imagined, and i haven't felt like myself ever since i gained the weight. As for looking in the mirror, i hate looking in them, i avoid them as much as possible. But one day i hope to be able to look at myself and feel alittle ok about it.

I'm ok with the exercising. I'm working my up to an hour a day but have to go abit easy, because i injured my ankle a few weeks back and i cant put much pressure on it. I'm desperate to get my confidence back to go to the gym. I probably go at a late hour when its kinda empty and i hope to get a personal trainer there too. But i want to take up a bt of boxing, swimming again, pilates and i want to dance again.

All big goals but i hope i will have the confidence to do all that soon.

Thank you again.

xx

Last edited by *Lai*; 07-20-2006 at 08:07 AM.

Old 07-20-2006, 09:05 AM   #6
(male)

goexplodex4 HB User

Brown rice and Whole Wheat pasta are ok, but make sure u have them sparingly. Use plain brown rice and pasta with a red sauce that has low fat, no cream sauces.

Put onions in there if u want. Anything but oil really. Any veggies are good, some people like hot sauce, I LOVE salso on my chicken. Nothing has to be on the chicken, I eat it plain, u can look up lots of recipes on the internet for grilled chicken. Meaty chicken has the protein with no fat, wings are bad because they have a lot of fat and such. Chicken breast really should be a main staple of ure diet. You gotta realize though this isnt going to taste as good as fried chicken, but its great for me.

Id be happy to look over what u decide, just know its my opinion and not a doctors. Any doctor would do the same if u want a professional opinion.

Unfortunately nighttime is the worst time to excersize because ure not getting the benefit of a boosted metabolism. When you sleep your metabolism slows to nothing. WHen you excersize it goes superfast. So if you excersize first thing in the morning you are boosting yourself to burn more calories all day, where before bed means your just going to immediately slow it down. If you cant do it in the morning, do it right BEFORE dinner. Your metabolism starts to slow down at this point in the day and ure just boosting it. Your fasted state is also perfect for burning fat. I recently switched to before breakfast cardio, I will let you know how that turns out, I cant endorse it yet.

One thing I cant let go though is ure need to hide from the public. Noone is judging u for buying healthy food. Its the large people that you see buying cookies and candy that people take a second look at. When I see people that are larger buying healthy food I think, thats great for them, their really trying. I think back to myself and when I made those purchases. America is 60% overweight. Noones going to judge your and if they do they arent worth your time.

Old 07-20-2006, 12:48 PM   #7
Veteran

bluejbirdie HB User

Hi Lai,

The First concept that you must understand and keep telling yourself is that there is no single food or type of food that will cause you to gain weight....Only Too many Calories will cause you to gain.

Dont be afraid to eat anything.

If you are keeping track of Calories then just keep yourself at at least 1200-1500 calories. If you can do this then I can pretty much gaurantee that you will lose weight.

As another poster mentioned.....Carbs will actually prevent Starvation mode....Starvation mode essentially happens when you deplete your glycogen...Carbs keep your glycogen full.
and Potatos in particular are actually a great food to have when dieting.

When you talk about meds I assume you are refferring to antideppressants? have you ever tried Effexor?
Effexor had a great affect on me, it helped to curb my appetite and cravings.

We are OverFat...Not OverWeight!

Old 07-20-2006, 12:53 PM   #8
Veteran

bluejbirdie HB User

Goexplode,

I would just like to Correct you on something, Exercising at night is just as good as in the morning. Your Metabolism will still be increased afterwards. Also the amount your metabolism is increased afterwards is Marginal at best. I believe it can be raised to Burn about 5 calories more per hour....which is not really a big deal.

Old 07-20-2006, 01:16 PM   #9
(female)

*Lai* HB User

Goexplode4, thanx again for all the info. I'm going to try and make the chicken tomorrow and maybe try to exercise earlier. But when i said i dont like to go out, i didnt mean that i dont want people see my buying food, its just going out in general. I feel really self concious and start to panic at the thought of people seeing me. I just dont feel right and i'm ashamed and embarrassed about gaining the weight and looking how i do. Its just a personal thing. The worst thing i find when going out is running into anyone i used to know because they always bring up my weight gain, even if they have seen me a few times before, i dont kno why, so i just feel more embarrased and as i though i must be getting bigger.

Bluej, i want to try to count calories, but i'm finding it idfficult to get up to 1000cals without feeling guilty about what i have ate. I would like to have a potatoe but again, i feel i shouldnt eat them.

Regarding my medication, i was referring to anticonvulsants (sp?) that i have to take for being bipolar. I was on depakote before and that just made me gain a ton of weight. It made me tierd and want to sleep all the time. I finally managed to change to carbemazapine about 3 weeks ago and i thinks its working ok. I feel alittle tierd but i'm noticing that i dont eat as much as i used to.
I was on Effexor when i was suffering from extreme anxiety and depression. I dont know if it was the medication or the anxiety but the weight just melted off me. But unfortunaley as soon as i got better i went into a manic episode and was put on depakote to help reduce it.Since then i have gained too much weight. My body has transformed completley and i hate that i feel i cant change it back to how it was. Maybe one day.

Thanx for your replys. I appreciate all the advice.

xx

Old 07-20-2006, 02:06 PM   #10
(male)

goexplodex4 HB User

bluj, everything Ive ever read said excersizing at night is a mild waste. Think about how much more energy you have during the day if you excersize in the morning. At night u are speeding up ure heart rate just to slow it down again.

There is a nutritionist at my gym and she told me that the best time are before breakfast and before dinner. There is a lot of contravorsy over the before breakfast, but when someone is 6% body fat, im not going to argue with them

Definatel keep over 1000, in fact i feel more guilty going under 1000. Im doing a fat reducing slowly diet right now ( i dont wanna lose muscle) and if i go under 1400 i feel bad im trying to do 1600-1800, because I know what will happen to me. Ive starved myself like that before, and it ended up bad.

Old 07-20-2006, 02:44 PM   #11
Veteran
(male)

shucky ducky HB User

I've always been told that working out in the morning is more beneficial than an evening workout. I prefer mornings also because after working 8 hours, it's just really hard for me to muster up the strength for an intense cardio workout at 6pm. Plus, I do find morning workouts give me more energy to get through the day. But, I suppose any time of the day is better than nothing at all.

Old 07-20-2006, 05:09 PM   #12
Veteran

bluejbirdie HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by shucky ducky
I've always been told that working out in the morning is more beneficial than an evening workout. I prefer mornings also because after working 8 hours, it's just really hard for me to muster up the strength for an intense cardio workout at 6pm. Plus, I do find morning workouts give me more energy to get through the day. But, I suppose any time of the day is better than nothing at all.
It is Something that Many People Suggest...But as I said it is Marginally better. Bottom Line is to workout whenever you can.

There is a ton of Misinformation out there and even a lot of "Experts" Believe some of it because it has been told so many times.

A Few years back I used to workout at 10pm every night....IF there is a difference it is not noticeable.

Old 07-22-2006, 09:46 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(male)

chevyman HB User

I work out from 6:00am until 7:00 am, that way my exercise is out of the way,and after I shower I feel better and get through the day a lot better, sometimes I exercise in the evening, but mostly I exercise in the am.
I see lots of people going to the gym in the evenings but I think during the summer months they tend to slow down on there exercise routine because of the heat and just having to make there way to the gym sometimes is a big deal.
I figured if you exercise in the am then any type of exercise you do during the day...like walking running or just going...you burn calories.
and every little bit helps if your trying to lose.

Old 07-23-2006, 10:09 AM   #14
(female)

Britty HB User

*Lai* my husband had a problem with steam/water cooked chicken on his diet as I hated making the stuff and he hated eating it! I found that he preferred the thighs to the breasts and if I pulled off the skin and any visable fat, sprinkled barbecue spice all over and baked (not grilled) but on a grilling dish in the oven until it fell off the bone he loved it. Steamed or boilied chicken seems to smell to me and if food smells even slight iffy or looks revolting one doesn't want to eat it and instead you dive into something you shouldnt.

Something else you can do with that low fat yoghurt is to use it with a sugar free jelly - you just follow the directions for the first part where you use the hot water and for the cold water part use the same amount of low fat yoghurt, my husband loves that too.

Good Luck - I hope your diet is going well and you are fealing better about yourself.

Old 07-23-2006, 01:00 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(male)

chevyman HB User

I disagree with it don't matter what foods you eat? as far as counting calories goes it makes a world of differance, another poster made that a point(OuToLunch) he made very good point about it...good calories vs bad calories...if you have good calories your most likely to be full and lose weight vs the bad calories and be hungry a few hours later.
like a beer and pizza vs a good grill/baked chicken tomato sandwhich..see the point?

Last edited by chevyman; 07-23-2006 at 01:07 PM.

Closed Thread