It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-26-2006, 02:39 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

cookiepls HB User
My calorie cutting tricks.

What are your calorie cutting tricks? Not the usual like walk 30 minutes or count calories, but just the simple and painless little things that you do every day that helps you cut back on calories. Here's a few of mine.
  • I don't deprive myself of sweets. I eat my favorite candy bar ( 3-Muskateer) once a week.
    Switched from whole milk to 2%.
    I put my food on a smaller plate.
    I leave a few bites of food on my plate.

Last edited by cookiepls; 07-26-2006 at 05:23 PM.

Old 07-26-2006, 04:45 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

chevyman HB User
Re: My calorie cutting tricks.

''Thanks'' , cookiepls
I'll try the smaller plate!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-26-2006, 05:24 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

cookiepls HB User
What are your calorie cutting tricks?

Chevy, do you have any tricks? I know you've been on a diet too.
Thanks

Last edited by cookiepls; 07-26-2006 at 05:32 PM.

Old 07-26-2006, 07:02 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

chevyman HB User

no I don't know of any tricks, I just try to eat like 300= 400 calories at each meal and snack inbetween on fruits.
I hate eating breakfast but I do...because I found when I do eat breakfast I 'm not has hungry...so I eat less with my other meals..makes it a little eazer getting them scales to go down that way.

I exercise in the A.M. (treadmill) hour or longer, get that out of the way and then later on that evening if I feel like exerciseing I do.
I average 2- 4 lbs a week eating less than 1700 calories/exercise.
and I been feeling better more like I'm in better shape.
at times I've stayed the same tho?...I owe a lot to my exerciseing because before I started exercising I didn't lose as much so exercise does work it just takes time.

I went on vacation the first part of July and I did cheat like for 3/4 days..the food was just to tempting.....I lost control...lol, but after I got back home I went back on my diet and I 've lost what I gain 4 lbs when I was on vacation, I weigh in on thrusday mornings so I'll see what happens in the morning?

some tricks is reading them food labels because there not always on the up and up! but to answer your question, no I don't have any tricks I could suggest other than what you mention, maybe the others have a few ''tricks ''up there sleeves.

Last edited by chevyman; 07-26-2006 at 07:08 PM.

Old 07-27-2006, 05:18 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

Some of my "tricks" that helped:

Switched to SmartBeat from butter thus saving 80 calories per Tbsp on my spread.
Switched to Fat-Free half and half thus saving 20 calories per ounce from my coffee creamer (80 calories per day...4 big mugs!)

Drink only non-caloric liquids like diet soda (one or two a day) and Wyler's no- cal drink mixes for thirst quenching.

Gave up all "deli-grease" like hot dogs, salami, kielbasi...only occasional lean pastrami (round cut, the leanest.)

Cut cheese in half and NEVER eat the processed "American cheese food" anymore. (They can't even legally call it cheese anymore because it's yellow dye, grease, and some cheese flavoring. )

I don't stop my aerobic machine workouts until I see the magic number: 400 calories!

I make my kefir with 2% instead of 4% milk...not quite so yummy but healthier.

I don't bread or fry ANYTHING anymore.

Old 07-27-2006, 06:15 AM   #6
Veteran

bluejbirdie HB User

Lenin,

if you like Kielbasa...which I love....there are places that have Turkey Kielbasa and Extra Lean Ham kielbasa that is really good. 150 calories per 100g which is pretty good...cant remember fat content but it was very low.

We are OverFat...Not OverWeight!

Old 07-27-2006, 07:00 AM   #7
Inactive
(female)

cookiepls HB User

Here's some more.
  • I cleaned out my kitchen of ALL junk food. Can't be tempted to eat it if it isn't there.
    I make homemade popsicles from puree'd fresh fruit and kool-aid sweetenend with splenda.
    I use butter buds whenever I can in place of real butter or margerine.
    Finally found a diet soda I like. Minute Maid lemonaid with only 5 calories. It's sweetenend with splenda.
    In fact, I use splenda instead of sugar in everything that needs sweetening. A bit expensive but worth it for all the calories it saves.
    I tear off the crusts when I make a sandwich. Saves a few calories and I don't miss it at all.
    Since I don't like fat-free mayo, I mix it in a 3:1 ratio with regular mayo. Our grocery store charges almost triple for low-cal mayo, so this is a much more economical way to do it.

Old 07-27-2006, 07:20 AM   #8
Veteran
(male)

shucky ducky HB User

I've mentioned this before but you will be amazed at how much you cut down on your portion sizes if you don't use salt on your foods or just use a little bit of the Lite salt. I have cut my portion sizes in half since I've been doing this. Sure, your food may not taste as good but the calories you would be saving is worth it.

Old 07-27-2006, 09:20 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

chevyman HB User

oh come on you guys..these are not tricks...lol these are a have to do things, lol

I been doing most of these ''tricks'' but I switch to ''fat free milk'', and promise light spread only like half the calories as the regular lite low calorie spread, cut out most all breads only use the veggie lite 35 calories per slice from wal-mart they have it in white or wheat...little espensive 195- 200$ a small loaf
also if you see anything that says low calories you better read on..sometimes its not!

check out the oriental sec in your grocery store, wal-mart has them and I found some cookies that are only like 30 calories there called sea biscuitts and come in regular vanlia or chocolate flavor...there kinds like gram crackers but witout the calories.

I don't fry anything anymore I bake it or grill it, and with my veggies I purchase a good stamer inexpensive and well worth the 90.00$ it steams everything...I like my veggies soft and in no time its all ready.

I use to put a roast/veggies in the crock-pot over night but sinse I been counting calories I don't do that anymore (simply cause I'll eat to much) and I 've cut back on red meats..there loaded with calories.

I been eating more fruits as to help my sweet tooth, splenda is ok in oatmeal and coffee but I don't like it in diet cokes..I buy the regular diet coke/Along with cases of bottle water..I drink lots of water most of the time if I dine out I drink water with lemon

I might have a small portion of meat and patatoes but only like once a week...I believe if you eat the foods you love in monderation and like only once a week its alright...the thing I do I try to figure out how much calories something has in it by weight or measure..and just go from there.

My biggerest problem is deserts I LOVE SWEETS my biggest weakness is Blue Bell I ce Cream...any flavor....lol
guess I'll stay with yoplait light thick/creamy yoguart ..only 100 calories and its satisfying/feeling.

I know what my calorie count is so I go as close to that as I possible can..some times I slip up a little but I make up for the next day and eat less calories..so far its been working pretty well with me.

Last edited by chevyman; 07-27-2006 at 09:41 AM.

Old 07-27-2006, 01:00 PM   #10
Inactive
(female)

cookiepls HB User

"...take out the top and bottom bun, and use two lettuce leaves instead..."

I do something similar with my sandwiches except I do use one piece of bread. Only exception is when I get a sandwich at Subway. I eat the whole thing. Just love their Italian herbs and cheese bread!

Old 07-28-2006, 04:40 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

I leave the burger out instead !
That's a roundabout way of saying that I've discovered late in life that a delicious roll (with Smart-Beat) can be quite tasty and filling all by itself ...not a "hamburger bun" of course, they are good only for mopping up kitchen spills.

And I've saved all the grease from that burger.

Old 07-28-2006, 11:33 AM   #12

Annee HB User

My doctor told me to eat a little protein (meat, cheese, nuts) at every meal because it burns slower than other foods and keeps you from getting hungry.

Sugarless gum.

Brush your teeth after every meal so you don't crave sweet things after eating salty, or salty things after eating sweets. Try it!

Go to bed early 'cuz you can't eat when you're sleeping!

Keep diet frozen dinners for yourself in the freezer, to eat when the rest of the family wants pizza or fast food.

Fix your plate before you get to the table so you've already counted the calories and have no more decisions to make. Leave the serving dishes at a distance.

Egg whites only have 17 calories each and they make great omelets!

Old 07-28-2006, 03:13 PM   #13
(female)

Silver Lining HB User

for a very low calorie treat between meals or late night that satisfies the sweet tooth are sugar free jello pudding cups. try the caramel...SOOO yummy and only 60 calories. perfect between dinner and bedtime...gets me through the night when that's my weakest and i'm prone to cheat.

Closed Thread