It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-31-2006, 06:51 PM   #1
(female)

2nd timer HB User
Motivational tips needs

I've been snooping around this board and the obesity board for a few weeks now. I finally decided it's time to chime in. I haven't posted for a couple of years. I used this site for help recovering from surgery and found it to be absolutely the best medicine I had at my disposal. Anyway weight loss is something I need to focus on. I fall in the obese category with a BMI of around 34. I know what I need to do and I've even seen a dietician during the last month. My biggest problem..............SUGAR!!!!! How do you pass on it? I am so addicted to sodas and snack cakes I am afraid to make a serious attempt at weightloss because I am afraid of failure.
Give me your best suggestions.

Old 08-01-2006, 05:10 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

StenoLady1 HB UserStenoLady1 HB User
Re: Motivational tips needs

What worked for me was weaning myself off soda. I used to drink either a two-liter per day or a six-pack. I just had a little less each day for a few weeks until I was down to less than a glass. I also started making premium tea from leaves. It's actually a lot less than soda (averages $0.07 per cup). I make it iced in the summer, hot in the winter. The types of teas I buy generally have dried fruit or flowers in them, so very little (if any) sugar is needed. Not only has this helped with kicking the soda habit, but it's improved all sorts of other aspects of my health.

For sweet cake stuff, I started making my own. Weight Watchers has some fantastic cookbooks out there. You might surprise yourself. You can incorporate some really healthy things into cakes and cookies if you make them yourself. Obviously, the down side would be they don't last as long as a box of Oreos or Twinkies, but, for instance, I make a zucchini bread that tastes like carrot cake that freezes beautifully.

Probably the most important thing would be to take baby steps. You didn't put on the weight overnight. You've developed habits and addictions. Start with the soda. Once you're over your addiction with that -- and it is an addiction. You will probably go through withdrawal symptoms -- focus on the next step.

Best of luck

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-01-2006, 08:17 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

chevyman HB User

If you can't drink good cold bottle water, try diet cokes? there calories free but contains sodium...or a mix calorie free mix drink you simply mix with water
and on eating the cup-cakes..try eating as much as you can until you make yourself sick...throw up ect,,ect,,it could be a while before you want to ''even see'' a cup-cake.
or simply tell yourself there bad for ya.

Old 08-01-2006, 01:54 PM   #4
Veteran
(male)

shucky ducky HB User

chevyman,

I can remember at least 2 times when I ate so many donuts I threw up and I was ready for more the next day so I don't know if that idea will work very well for everyone.

Old 08-01-2006, 05:30 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

Tloat HB User

Weight Watchers is a great program! They do have great recipes for satisfying your sweet urges and it teaches you how to eat. The more fiber you eat, the less hungry you feel. Also, protein, protein, protein. It also helps you feel full and helps muscle burn fat. Another drink besides soda is Crystal Light. Their lemonade is really good! I started WW after the birth of my first two children. I just had my third in June and started utilizing their program again in combination of working out.

Start an exercise program as well. If you incorporate that with eating right, the weight will come off quicker. Start out slowly, maybe walk 20-30 minutes a day, then increase it by 15 minute intervals. Weight training is a great way to burn calories too. If you have a gym nearby, ask them about personal training. Some personal trainers will incorporate 3-4 people in a session - which makes it cheaper. I had a personal trainer and was in a group of 3 people. It really helps to see others in the same boat. At the same time, you make new friends. I met a gal in my last training session and we decided to go off on our own and work out. When we need a little boost, we just go for one session now and then. It really works!

I'm not a cardio fan, but learned to like it. We do spinning a couple of days a week and weight train three days a week. It took me a long time to dedicate myself, but it was worth it. I have another 20-25 lbs to go and I'll be at my pre-pregnancy weight.

Good Luck to you!

Closed Thread