It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-02-2006, 01:47 PM   #1
(female)

not_that_girl HB User
Question Help! I Just dont know what to do

Hi all. I really want to lose weight. Right now i am 130 pounds and 5'5. I know i am not fat, but i i have always wanted to fit into a size four anything. And my stuach is huge. It really is. I do an ab work out everyday for it but other than that i am lost. I hate to work out but the diet book i read says i need to find an excersise that i wont mind doing so that i actually do it. I cant find one. And i over eat all the time. I just want tp get healthier and lose soe wieght and i have no clue how. Can some one please help me. I just need tips ideas anything! PLease. I just feel so desperate because i have no clue what to do. And i am afraid if i dont do something about my health and my body now it could affect my future in a way i dont want it to. Thanks.

Last edited by moderator2; 08-02-2006 at 01:54 PM. Reason: please do not post your age on the public forums

Old 08-02-2006, 03:44 PM   #2
(female)

Katy5 HB User
Re: Help! I Just dont know what to do

Well for starters as you said yourself for 5'5" and 130 pounds you are not fat by any means. Just to get that out of the way...

Also about the stomach, you can be doing all the crunches in the world and it won't give you a flat stomach. You may have very muscular abdominal muscles underneath, but as long as you have fat on top of it you're not going to see a difference. You can't spot lose anywhere on your body (unfortunatley) so you need to do cardio. Cardio is the only way to really burn off fat and although it takes time and determination you will eventually start to see a flatter stomach THEN you do those crunches and such for a great six pack.

But I was in a similar situation, I am 5'2" and at my heaviest I weighed about 128 lbs, I now weigh 110. I didn't look fat, but to me it just didn't feel right so here's what I did.

1. Completley stopped drinking pop. I stopped drinking pop almost a year ago exactly and in the 1st month of not drinking it I lost 7 lbs.

2. It sounds so simple but it's so incredibly important- ONLY eat when your hungry. I can't tell you how many times I would be sitting there not hungry in the least but think hmmm, popcorn sounds good and then go and eat something just at the thought of it, or because I'd be bored and eating was something to do to pass the time.

3. Exercise! I walk on my treadmill at least 3 times a week. Also as silly as it sounds, I dance around my house. Allll the time. I just crank up my music and start to dance. It's fun to do so it doesn't feel like your exercising and it's a great way to burn fat.

4. A trick I learned is: Say I've just eaten dinner and 2 hours later I may feel like I'm hungry again. Obviously, there should be no way I'm ready to eat again. So I'll just grab a bottle of water and drink that instead. The water fills the "empty" feeling and it's great for you so it works out wonderfully!

5. Which brings me to my last point; drink lots, and lots, and lots of water. The more the better. The more water you drink the more fat and negative things in your body get flushed out. Plus it's great for your health overall.

It may look like a lot, but it's really not. I now rest comfortably in a size 3, and on occassion can fit into a size 2 and I did it all just by these simple things. Hope this helps!

P.S. Another way to help lose belly fat is to try and eat foods low in fat and stay away from "white foods" i.e. alfredo sauces, creamy soups, white breads etc. Sometime consumption is fine but maybe try to switch things up instead. I eat whole grain bread instead of white bread anymore and I love it! Little things like that can make a difference too!

Last edited by Katy5; 08-02-2006 at 03:59 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-02-2006, 03:55 PM   #3
(female)

Emrell HB User

Calm down, don't get panicky. LOL I'll see what I can do for you as far as tips go.

I've read that ab work outs really don't do much as for flattening the tummy. They strengthen the muscles, and if you have a fat build up infront of them, you won't see any results. Cardio. Cardio burns the most fat, stick with that. Anything even for just a 1/2 hour a day will help - like dancing, rollerblading, riding your bike, walking. Or get with a friend and play volleyball or some other sport you like (if there is any. lol)

Water!!! Drink plenty of water throughout the day, instead of snacking, since you said you tend to over eat. Lotsa times when our bodies are dehydrated we mistake it for hunger. Try it, it'll keep you full longer, and is fat free and calorie free!

Set a limit. Choose an amount of calories to consume for the entire day, and stick with it. Don't make it too low as an attempt at fast weight loss, it'll only slow your metabolism down. Just cut out 500 calories a day from what you would normally eat.

Fried foods are a no no! (or eat VERY sparingly...I can't help myself either lmao)

Lotsa fruit and veggies. Since fruits like watermelon have a lot of water in them, they fill you up quickly, with no fat and super low in cals.

Whole grain/wheat bread. None of that white bread garbage. Empty calories in there!

Keep yourself occupied. You sound like me, easily able to get bored and in result, snacking outa the fridge even when you're not hungry.

Any other questions don't hestitate to ask!

E. Littrell

Old 08-02-2006, 03:56 PM   #4
(female)

Emrell HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katy5
Well for starters as you said yourself for 5'5" and 130 pounds you are not fat by any means. Just to get that out of the way...
haha WOW...Katy! We pretty much said all the same stuff! LOL

Old 08-02-2006, 06:15 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

chevyman HB User

theres not any exercise you can do to lose the fat in your stomach, diet alone will have to do that and the stomach is the last place diets target, it ''all'' won't come off but you can get more muscle there and be more flatter.
I think just by walking at a fast pace walk for 4 or 5 miles everyday is probably the best you can do along with watching your caloirc intake each day..maybe 1000 daily calories?
you can do all the cruches you want sit-up you want it will not make the fat go away in your stomach that fat is thicker than other parts of your body..I know I did it and nothing...so I walk everyday and my stomach is getting smaller but you have to lose most everywhere els before the fat comes off in your stomach.
I think staying with a good low calorie diet will work. and walk everyday, other exercise helps but walking is the eaizest and cheapest...esp if you own your own treadmill.
good luck to you.

Old 08-02-2006, 06:52 PM   #6
(female)

Emrell HB User

If you walk at a brisk pace, like not just strolling along, about how long does it take to walk 5 miles?

Old 08-02-2006, 09:40 PM   #7
(female)

dannysmom HB User

I walk about 4.3 miles in 60 minutes. Thats walking at a pace of about 4.0.

Old 08-02-2006, 11:49 PM   #8
(female)

loveXsc HB User

katy 5, how long did it take you to loose the weight? I'm 5'1 and right now about 128 lbs and I'm looking to loose the weight but it can be so frustrating. I was doing great in the beginning of the summer, I ran about 30-50 minutes a day and tried to eat pretty healthy. Then a month into it I was diagnosed with mono and now I'm just able to exercise again, so I'm building myself up slowly. I do drink a good amount of water a day, it's all I drink give or take a cup of juice or milk. I also eat a lot of fruit and when it's bread, I eat whole wheat. I guess I need to give it more time, especially now I feel like I'm starting from scratch because I need to build my energy back up again. I just can't wait to see results, I can get a little impatient!

Also another quick question if someone could answer. From what I think I understand, a normal calorie intake a day should be about 1400 for me. Since I lost my appetite with mono, I'm guessing my stomach shrunk and I have less of an appetite. I guess I should be counting my calories a day, but lets say that I am eating a less than 1400 calories a day to maybe 1100 or 1200, does that mean that my body is in starvation mode and clinging on to my fat? If so how do you expect to loose weight? I don't know why I'm not getting it, but if anyone has an answer that would be great!

Old 08-03-2006, 04:12 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

I just spoke to my "fashion consultant" who said that there is no way that ANYONE at 5'5" and 128 will ever fit into a size 4 regardless of the weight distribution.
Hope for a 6 and be comfy in an 8.

Old 08-03-2006, 05:11 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

susieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenin
I just spoke to my "fashion consultant" who said that there is no way that ANYONE at 5'5" and 128 will ever fit into a size 4 regardless of the weight distribution.
Hope for a 6 and be comfy in an 8.

Lenin,
Not true. I am 5'5 and weigh between 130 & 135. I can wear a size 4 in some clothes. Now keep in mind not all clothes are the same. Some 8's are tiny and some 6's are huge, but I have five or six pairs of pants in a size 4.

Old 08-03-2006, 05:13 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

susieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB User

To the poster:
Drink a ton of water, stay at 1,200 calories per day and eat the right things. Lots of veggies, fruit, protein. Stay away from alcohol and fast food, and by all means - CARDIO! It's the best thing for burning fat.

Old 08-03-2006, 05:34 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

susie,

My "fashion consultant" spent years in the garment industry selling "better dresses" where the perfect size 6 was a skinny model.
Now they sell oversized clothes with preposterous sizing to make women buy and smile.
Remember: to get a loose fit in what claims to be a size 4 often requires only the erasure of the "1" in front of the "4" !
"Oh honey, it's a 4 and it's so nice and LOOSE!"

Old 08-03-2006, 08:18 AM   #13
(female)

Katy5 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveXsc
katy 5, how long did it take you to loose the weight?
I'm not exactly sure of an exact date. But a couple weeks ago I was looking at a picture of myself from a St Patrick's Day party (so that was obviously in March) and my face looked HUGE compared to what it is now. I was then looking at a pic from a 4th of July party where I look about the same size I am now and it's like night and day how different I look from March. So I know for sure there was a big difference between March-July, so if I had to guess I'd say I lost it all in about 4 months or so. I started off really slow also, but then once I noticed a pound here or there was gone it started to give me some more momentum and then it just spun from there.

Old 08-03-2006, 09:09 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenin
susie,

My "fashion consultant" spent years in the garment industry selling "better dresses" where the perfect size 6 was a skinny model.
Now they sell oversized clothes with preposterous sizing to make women buy and smile.
Remember: to get a loose fit in what claims to be a size 4 often requires only the erasure of the "1" in front of the "4" !
"Oh honey, it's a 4 and it's so nice and LOOSE!"

I can assure you that I don't wear a 14.

Old 08-04-2006, 09:30 PM   #15
(female)

imaginarydivabc HB User

I have learned from a yoga class that breathing is very important when you do your crunches, and your workout routine. Inhale at the start of the crunch. Exhale on the way to reaching the top of your crunch. If you dont, you get that rounded pear look. And try controlled crunches. One down to 3 or 4 counts to the top.

Maybe you should really set yourself limits. I was just toning down in the last 3 months, and I set myself 4 very, very achievable goals.

Workout only in the morning.
20 minute cardio 4 times a week.
No carbohydrates after 12:30
Little or no food intake after 7:30PM

You have to set reasonable goals. And you cant expect everything to happen all at once. Good luck.

Closed Thread