It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-02-2006, 07:09 PM   #1
(female)

lifesnotchess HB User
Unhappy Atkins Fails?

Okay so I have been on the Atkins diet for about 3 weeks now. I am a 21 year old female who isn't by definition at all overweight. Many family members of mine have had great success on this diet but so far I have only lost about 5 pounds when the standard is usually about 15-20 for this time frame. I exercise a few times a week and I have stuck to this diet strictly. Does anyone have any idea why this isnt working for me? I have been told it may be due to the fact that I am really not all that overweight to begin with. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Old 08-03-2006, 03:52 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Smartpants HB User
Re: Atkins Fails?

If you arent at all overweight, expecting to lose 15-20 lbs on this diet is simply unrealistic. If you arent at all overweight, why are you wanting to lose 15-20lbs?????

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-03-2006, 06:20 AM   #3
Veteran

bluejbirdie HB User

First off 15-20 lbs in 3 weeks is not typical of any diet. Second of all 5lbs in 3 weeks is excellent. third of all you must realize that much of the initial weight loss on atkins is Water and muscle. Fourth of all Even Atkins depends on a Calorie deficit to lose fat. You can follow the diet to a T but if there isnt a calorie deficit you will not lose any fat.

We are OverFat...Not OverWeight!

Old 08-03-2006, 06:37 AM   #4
(female)

elmstlover HB User

i couln't lose weight on it either. Doc said it had to do with my blood sugar. It is always pretty low. The Atkins is NOT for everyone. If it is not working, there may be a reason and I would get off. I actually had to go to the ER cause my sugar dropped so low. I am not diabetic either.

Old 08-03-2006, 06:43 AM   #5
(female)

lifesnotchess HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smartpants
If you arent at all overweight, expecting to lose 15-20 lbs on this diet is simply unrealistic. If you arent at all overweight, why are you wanting to lose 15-20lbs?????
What I meant by not overweight was that im not by defintion overweight or obese. However I am 5*7 and about 145-150 pounds so I could definitly afford to loose about 15 pounds.

Old 08-03-2006, 08:36 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Smartpants HB User

ok, 15 lbs is realistic then, just not in three weeks...if you are losing 5lbs per three weeks you are doing great..stick with it..

Old 08-03-2006, 08:38 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

rubato HB User

Keep up the good work! 5 lbs in 3 weeks is a healthy weight loss and to reach your goal in 9 weeks is pretty good isn't it? I wish I could!

Last edited by rubato; 08-03-2006 at 08:40 AM.

Old 08-03-2006, 09:08 AM   #8
(female)

lifesnotchess HB User

Yes I mean I definitly feel good about the weight I have lost, it just seems discouraging when most people who are on the same diet loose so much faster than I. It is getting harder and harder to stick to it.

Old 08-03-2006, 11:13 AM   #9
Veteran

bluejbirdie HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifesnotchess
Yes I mean I definitly feel good about the weight I have lost, it just seems discouraging when most people who are on the same diet loose so much faster than I. It is getting harder and harder to stick to it.
As I said...They are losing Water and Muscle.

If it i getting hard to stick with then you shouldnt be doing it.....you need to be living a lifestlye you can live with forever.

IF you are doing atkins strictly to lose weight and then get off of it once you get there you will almost definately Gain all the weight back. It does not teach you how to maintain your weight if you stop doing it. When initially stopping it your Glycogen stores will fill back up and you will gain Water weight back. Also you will probably start adding food s back into your diet that will not be as filling. Ketosis can suppress Appetite and cravings. it is evevitable that once you are off it you will be eatiing much more calories and will gain the wweight back.

We are OverFat...Not OverWeight!

Old 08-04-2006, 09:23 PM   #10
(female)

imaginarydivabc HB User

Atkins has worked for me fantastic. And 5 lbs a week is quite normal. Some people experience more, it depends on their body type and what they are eating. I combined Atkins with the GI diet because I have slow metabolism. And with the GI diet I pick and chose more on top of the Atkins restriction of what I eat depending on how fast the food metabolizes. I have been so successful with my diets that I am maintaining a weight loss blog and I do daily research on this stuff. Good luck!

Closed Thread