It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-03-2006, 08:23 AM   #1
Veteran
(male)

shucky ducky HB User
How Much Water Is TOO MUCH Water?

Okay, everyone knows that water is a major key to weight loss. The daily recommendation for water consumption is somewhere around 64 ozs per day. I don't think that is nearly enough for someone who is trying to lose a significant amount of weight, especially if they are performing moderate to intense cardio. I'm 5'6, 188 pounds and I drink 100 ozs per day, 150 - 180 ozs if I'm exercising. Am I drinking too much water? Will this in any way impair my weight loss? For those of you who are in the process of losing weight and have experienced success, how much are (were) you drinking?

Old 08-03-2006, 08:45 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

auntjudyg HB User
Re: How Much Water Is TOO MUCH Water?

No, you are not drinking too much. I know people who do not even exercise extensively and drink 2 gallons every day.

It become a problem up in the 4-5 gallons a day range . . . or especially when, say, a gallon is consumed in a short period of time.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-03-2006, 10:35 AM   #3
(female)

chocolatefor3 HB User

We had a health professional come into our office a few months ago and his recommondation is consuming double the water in ounces in what you weigh in lbs. For instance, if you weigh 150 lbs, then you should be drinking 300 ounces of water a day. His theory is your skin will clear up, body fat will burn quicker and you won't feel as tired and better all around. Take it for what it's worth... I personally have problems drinking water just to drink it. I don't have a problem drinking it while working out. However during the day, I have to make tea, use crystal light, etc. every once in a while to get it down.

Old 08-03-2006, 11:31 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

chevyman HB User

I DON'T THINK YOU CAN DRINK TO MUCH WATER.
I;m a person that don't like drinking water it just bloats me or someting...but sinse I started eating more healthy foods I do drink more water, and when I exercise I drink 2 20oz bottles of good cold water, I do drink diet cokes but not as many and if I go out to eat I have lemon water and not cokes or tea, seems like it makes the foods taste better? anyway drinking water, it does take getting use to but its worth it.
when you get hungry people say drink lots of water...well that don't work to well with me if i get hungry and not eat..and drink lots of water...that just makes me sick...so I have a snack instead, but to answer your question..no you can't drink to much water, my advise is to drink whats comfortable for you,and when you do exercise just drink more water then.

Old 08-03-2006, 12:07 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Smartpants HB User

actually technically you CAN drink too much water and die...but for this to happen, you need to drink like 5 of those big water cooler bottles...frat kids have died from water poisoning (i forget what its actually called - but so much water that it killed them) In reality it is almost impossible to drink that much under normal circumstances...

Old 08-06-2006, 08:40 PM   #6
(female)

babybls4ever HB User

i grew up drinking spring water that is my parents source of water (from a spring ) and i love it. there is no better drink in this world as far as im concerned. i am way over weight and i thought ok maybe if i cut the diet drinks out and just drink water i'll loose some weight that is what everyone said. stop drinking soda and you'll loose weight. well here i am thats all i drink and still nothing.yeah yeah i know diet and exercise. did that bit and now im severly anemic. and it doesnt help that i have tachycardia and high blood pressure. i need help!!!!!!!!!!

Old 08-07-2006, 05:47 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

Yes you can drink too much water. The condition is called WATER INTOXICATION or more technically, DILUTIONAL HYPONATREMIA (low blood sodium.) It can and has killed many an athlete. Low sodium can stop your heart in an instant.

I'd say that anyone drinking over a gallon a day should be careful and anyone drinking 2 gallons a day is asking for BIG trouble.

Our thirst sensation is pretty trustworthy so drink when thirsty and then a little more but never FORCE water because some diet book said to.

There's really is no evidence that aside from removing excess wastes produced from dieting, that extra water causes ANY weight loss. But that doesn't stop the diet "gurus" from prattling on about it to fill their pages.

Closed Thread