It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2006, 02:38 PM   #1
(female)

arvc HB User
must lose weight for health

Hello! I am a 35yo who is 236lbs and 5'8". I have major heart problems. Nothing caused by my weight. I have been within a normal weight range up until about a year and a half ago.I have gained about 75 pounds in that time.I have whats called arvc/arvd it is fatty tissue that takes over the heart muscle. You are born with it and there is no cure! I have an advanced form and have a pacemaker/defibrillator and my heart races even with meds sometimes. This leads me up to now, I can't do alot of exercise. My heart can race just by mild walking. I am going to have to do this on my own and lose the bad eating habits. Problem is that I have always been able to eat what I want and be active. Now I still have the need and the want to eat. I like to eat and won't lie. I do try very hard to lose weight but always seem to fail at it. You would think with my health on the line it would be easy, but it's not. I recently went to my reg. dr. and repeated cholesterol testing which was good in Dec. 05 and now is terrible for a heart patient. My total chol=295, my good chol=40 which is to low. In addition to being on several beta blockers I am now on Crestor. How does someones cholesterol jump that much? Yes I did fast before the test. How do I get the courage and the will to stop eating to much? I hate being big! I have been about 145 most of my adult life, and 115-120 in high school. What do I eat to get a good amount of weight loss without over doing it. I don't want to lose 50lbs. in a month but I do need to lose about 20-25 in a month. I do not want to suck broth or drink slim fast. I'm not a big veggie eater. I guess if I had to stand accountable often to someone it would help. I am not rich and can not afford to spend $50-$100 just on food for me a week. I really must lose atleast 70 pounds within about 4 months to take the stress off my heart. Please help a mom of 3 children to lose the weight or atleast give some good advice. I feel that it has been by the grace of God that I have made it through all I have. I am an easy going person, I love life, laugh even when I don't feel like it, smile, and etc. I realize to some my problems of sudden weight do not compare to a lifetime of struggling. Thanks for your advice.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-08-2006, 03:42 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

chevyman HB User
Re: must lose weight for health

hi,
I understand what your saying and I feel empathy for you, for someone in your condition, you really need to see a cardioligist about loseing weight/and exercise, (we are not Doctors in these health boards)

Do the Dr's think that the reason your cholosterol is up because of your heart condition? (ARVE/ARVD)?
Do you have CAD? (Caronary Artery Disease.) Do you have angina?
Have you had a cardiac catheterization test? MRI's?

I recommend Cardiac Rehabilitation/even if you never had bypass surgery/see your cardiolgist, those type of programs are safe for someone in your condition. how you exercise and what you eat is very important obviously.
some one in your condition should consult Medical Doctors.

It's hard to lose weight very hard but sheer determantation and wil power is what it takes and encouragment from family /friends.but most of all it's going to be your decision to do that..only you know what you put in your mouth.
as we get older it gets harder to lose weight and we all will probably never be what we weigh in high school, metabolisium slows down as we age.

Remember none of us likes being big and were big because we over eat, its our own fault no body els, so its going to be our fault to lose it.
eating is a luxury to just about everyone, and most of us know its not healthy to over eat.
even for a person thats not over weight that person still needs to eat healthy and exercise..simply to stay healthy.
if you were born with your condition you should be taking better care of yourself during all your 35 years.....you should know that!!!
but as far as telling you what to eat and how much and things like that...thats up to you...your going to have to change your way of living altogather.
but in my opinion you need to ask your Doctors about that.
I wish you the best.

Last edited by chevyman; 08-08-2006 at 03:54 PM.

Old 08-09-2006, 03:31 AM   #3
(female)

zetoula HB User
Smile Re: must lose weight for health

Hi arvc!

The necessary condition to loose weight is to have a strong motivation. From what you said I picture you as a person that is very calming to others, fun to be with and with always a smile upon the face.

You say you are a mom of three, so I'm sure that you want to see your children grow up, become adults and give you grandchildren. I'm also pretty sure that your children are not ready and will not be for the next 15years minimum to loose you. But will you be able to live all these if you don't loose the weight you need to? I'm afraid that the possibilities are against you! I know that a mother will do everything and anything for her children, why not keeping herself healthy so she can be around for them, be one of those things?

20-25lbs per month is something doable!Lots of people have done it in the past and so can you! And if you are strong enough to laugh even when you don't really want to then I bet you are strong enough to lose the weight! You don't have to suck broth or drink slim fast if you don't want to! Just visit a health professional specialized on dieting for people with a condition (any clinical dietitian will do) and explain what you can and can't afford (moneywise and timewise). Dieting doesn't have to be expensive. Also keep in mind that the expenses to treat the consequences of obesity (heart problems, renal, respiratory etc) are much more than the cost of a diet. All you will have to do is stick to it!

Hope I helped!

Old 08-09-2006, 03:06 PM   #4
(female)

arvc HB User

Chevyman and Zetoula,
I have several doctors who see me! I have an electrophysiologist cardiologist & a reg. cardio dr. both. I see a PCP dr. for other things. I just saw her today. She gave me some defined options for food do's and dont's.My drs have never done that before or suggested a diet dr. I think the rehab idea is a great one. No one has put a link on the chol. & the heart yet. I do have angina, no to the CAD,yes to cath, yes to MRI but can't get another one due to ICD.I accept full blame for my weight regardless of heart. When I said I was born with my disease I guess I should have explained better. I didn't get diagnosed until I was 30 it went undetected and at that time it was misdianosed which caused further problems, it's been about a year and 4 months since I've known I was actually born with it. I took good care of myself and was pretty healthy before I became tired and prone to fainting. I appreciate both of you being candid with me. I guess your both right about it being my determination. Zetuola, I found your words about moms being able to do anything for their kids inspiring. You are so right. I believe that is what prevented me from death many times and God. My children are my everything. All my children stand a 50/50 chance of having this. They will be tested in Sept. I've done the impossible just for them already. Your words hit me hard, but in a good way. You described me very well. I am the calmer and the person who picks everybody up who's down. I love to do it. My thought is why be sad life is to short. Crying won't solve anything happiness spreads. People often say I'm always smiling no matter what. Not that I can't get upset because I do, but I usually overcome it. I am going to do what my dr. suggested today about store packaged or any packaged foods for that matter and avoid them. She said cook from home and eat little to no foods that have
a long shelf life or need preserved. AKA=chips, cookies,dinners(not all but most),frozen pizzas, snack crackers, gronalos,just really anything prepared that I can do at home with fresh things. She said eat almonds 2-3 times a day about 8-10 each time, she said they were high in fat but good fat. Thanks you both for your responses.

Old 08-09-2006, 05:22 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

chevyman HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvc
Hello! I am a 35yo who is 236lbs and 5'8". I have major heart problems. Nothing caused by my weight. I have been within a normal weight range up until about a year and a half ago.I have gained about 75 pounds in that time.I have whats called arvc/arvd it is fatty tissue that takes over the heart muscle. You are born with it and there is no cure! I have an advanced form and have a pacemaker/defibrillator and my heart races even with meds sometimes. This leads me up to now, I can't do alot of exercise. My heart can race just by mild walking. I am going to have to do this on my own and lose the bad eating habits. Problem is that I have always been able to eat what I want and be active. Now I still have the need and the want to eat. I like to eat and won't lie. I do try very hard to lose weight but always seem to fail at it. You would think with my health on the line it would be easy, but it's not. I recently went to my reg. dr. and repeated cholesterol testing which was good in Dec. 05 and now is terrible for a heart patient. My total chol=295, my good chol=40 which is to low. In addition to being on several beta blockers I am now on Crestor. How does someones cholesterol jump that much? Yes I did fast before the test. How do I get the courage and the will to stop eating to much? I hate being big! I have been about 145 most of my adult life, and 115-120 in high school. What do I eat to get a good amount of weight loss without over doing it. I don't want to lose 50lbs. in a month but I do need to lose about 20-25 in a month. I do not want to suck broth or drink slim fast. I'm not a big veggie eater. I guess if I had to stand accountable often to someone it would help. I am not rich and can not afford to spend $50-$100 just on food for me a week. I really must lose atleast 70 pounds within about 4 months to take the stress off my heart. Please help a mom of 3 children to lose the weight or atleast give some good advice. I feel that it has been by the grace of God that I have made it through all I have. I am an easy going person, I love life, laugh even when I don't feel like it, smile, and etc. I realize to some my problems of sudden weight do not compare to a lifetime of struggling. Thanks for your advice.
oh ok,
I didn't know you didn't know! sorry''

I apologize for being so blunt and straight with you, its a reality and not a fantasy , what I'm about to write.
and by all means do I mean this for you/and please don't be offended or more scared than you probably already are, you keep up your courage girl and you will get through this sad time in your life and never ever give up faith and hope.

you know they do open heart bypass tripple bypass now days like its regular routine, 3 or 4 hour surgery now days.

if they can do open heart bypass and take the heart all the way out of your body with another heart-pump keeping you alive, ...my point would be why can't they take the fat sack around your heart off? or the problem your having? I understand the heart does fit into a protictive coating tho?

I know thats a complicated problem you have but it just seems if they can take an artery out of your leg and use it to bypass a stopped up arerty's, they should be able to take that fat off around your heart?

they do take the heart out and place it on your chest while they make the bypass.
maybe your problem is different? and other complications prevnted it? I am not sure on this?? but just from what other people and Dr's have told me through the grapevine.

maybe theres some type nucular medcine you can take to disolve it?, or certain kinds of meds to do away with that ''arvc/arvd???
thats why I suggested rehab, the foods they put you on and the certain types of exercise, getting your heart to do what its suppose to be doing...pumping....and they probably want your RHR ''resting heart rate'' to be like 45 -60? But your condition maybe different from some one that has clodded artries??
I guess your problem is more complicated than some one with cad or artery desease?
My neihbor had to have his heart cut out for a heart valve? pig ear? thats what he told me...I never heard of that one before?
anyone don't be affraid if they have to do surgery on you, that heart surgery now days is getting to be a rountine thing.

as for as dieting try lower calories, that way you can still have the foods you love just not has much as your use to eating. try to cut everything in half that your eating now and try drinking lots of water. at least try to cut your calories to at least 1200/1400 a day.
ask your Dr's what type of apitite suppressant would be safe for you to at least try?

if you don't have the finances to pay insurance ect,,ect,, just get on the fix me now pay later plan...(but seriously I hope you do have some type of insurance to help you out...you do need to stay around for those kids of yours and to see your grand kids.
I wish you all well...God Bless.

Last edited by chevyman; 08-09-2006 at 05:56 PM.

Old 08-10-2006, 06:27 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

StenoLady1 HB UserStenoLady1 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvc
I am going to do what my dr. suggested today about store packaged or any packaged foods for that matter and avoid them. She said cook from home and eat little to no foods that have
a long shelf life or need preserved. AKA=chips, cookies,dinners(not all but most),frozen pizzas, snack crackers, gronalos,just really anything prepared that I can do at home with fresh things. She said eat almonds 2-3 times a day about 8-10 each time, she said they were high in fat but good fat.
Arvc, just wanted to let you know that what your doctor suggested is a wonderful way of eating. Last year, I had a host of medical problems, including being overweight and way high cholesterol. The diet your doctor suggested is what we've done. A heart healthy diet is not boring at all. It's actually one of the easiest, tastiest, least-restrictive diets I've ever done.

Not only have DH & I lost over 100 pounds, but dropping all the chemicals, preservatives, saturated fats and partially hydrogenated oils has improved our lives in so many ways. Best of all, this way of eating is soooooo yummy. Your taste buds are just going to explode.

I have noticed a huge decrease in our grocery bills by not buying all these prepackaged foods. Albeit, I do go to the grocery store several times a week now instead of once. Preparing meals also take more time, too. The plus is when you find something you love, most meals can be frozen for meals later on -- wonderful time saver.

You sound like a very good parent. Not only will you be helping yourself by changing your lifestyle, but you will be teaching your children how to cook, proper nutrition, how to shop for the freshest ingredients in any given season, and how to truly appreciate all that goes into a homemade meal. Get them involved in any way you can. Make it fun for all of you. Now that I'm an adult, some of my fondest childhood memories are preparing priceless family recipes with older aunts and my grandmother. If you don't already, turn off that TV during dinner. Eat your newly made creations slowly with your family. Family dining nowadays is pretty much nonexistant. Bring it back. Look forward to just family around the table.

There are hundreds of cookbooks out there designed around healthy fresh eating. All of your own recipes can be modified. If you need suggestions or feedback on ideas for meals, just give a holler

Old 08-11-2006, 11:40 AM   #7
(female)

arvc HB User

Chevyman and StenoLady1,
I actually appreciate people being honest and candid. Candy coating things for someone does not help them. My heart problem with the fat is actually running through various parts of the heart. On the inside! Theres just no way to extract every strand growing here and there. You are right heart surgeries are now more simple than they use to be, although they can still be fatal to some although much less. With my disease being put to sleep is complicated and can be dangerous. I guess all in all everybody is each so different. I feel good usually knowing all the advancements in technology. I believe the new food choices won't be so horrible. I have always loved to home cook and I am very good at it. I cook a lot for friends and make jerky, snacks, cookies, and cakes for their husbands so they don't have to. I just have gotten out of the habit of cooking fresh fish, chicken, soups, and even desserts. My doctor said cookies from scratch with real butter is not half as bad for you, if you really must have a sweet. Some of my best memories are cooking with my mom and my ex-husbands grandma. I now have my moms old cookbook(she's not dead) and it is about 25+ years old. I see it and remember us looking in it. By the way I do have health ins.

Old 08-11-2006, 01:05 PM   #8
(female)

chocolatefor3 HB User
Unhappy Re: must lose weight for health

ARVC - I just read all of the posts... Being a mom of three and only 3 years older than you, it hit home and broke my heart to see you go through this! I agree with talking to your Doc's to find the best way to loose the weight for your condition. If you don't feel comfortable with the answers they give you -I encourage you get second opinions - if you don't like the second opinions, get a third. My father just found out he had diabetes and his family physician knew his sugar levels were high, but never said anything to him about it!! He found out by passing out one day. He had other problems as well - his arteries were 80 & 90% blocked, colesterol was high, and thyroid issues. Luckily, my step-mother's diabetic doctor took him in immediately and got him back on track. His sugar is so good now, he is close to weining off the insulin. It was an eye opener for him and he was forced to start eating healthier and stopped smoking - cold turkey.

Consistency is the key on your diet. After a few weeks under your belt with a new diet, your body will start to adjust (and your taste buds- lol). Once you start seeing results, it will motivate you to do more. It's hard to commit -trust me, I know! After my first child, it took me over 6 months of eating good for a few days, off for a few days, etc., etc., to realize I am the only one who controls what I put in my mouth. I was tired of looking (in my mind) overweight. I understand what you're feeling. I too was about 125 in high school at 5'9"! I went up to 140 and never exceeded much more than 150. I was happy with that weight. Then, I got pregnant! I gained 55 lbs with the first, 50 with the second and 45 with the third. It's very hard to shed the unwanted weight. Especially when your raising children (and husbands) that can eat everything and anything you put in front of them.

Weight Watchers was an excellent program for me as I had to write everything down and it forced me to eat healthier foods and get away from most of the processed stuff. I'm not that familiar with your condition, so I don't know if WW will work for you or not. If it's not to your benefit, then start writing things down anyway. There are plenty of nutritional charts on the web that can assist you. It's amazing how many hidden calories, fat, etc. are in things we don't think about (creamers, condiments, frozen foods, etc.) Cooking yourself is the biggest key. It's very hard to find the time - especially with three children. The suggestion of cooking and freezing leftovers is a great idea! Talk with your dietician again to see if they can draft a diet that best suites your needs.

Keep at it and don't give up! There are plenty of people who have done it in the past and if you can raise three children, then you can definitely do this. lol It's not an overnight thing, it takes time and determination. I will keep you in my prayers and best of luck to you!!!!

Old 08-12-2006, 12:45 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

StenoLady1 HB UserStenoLady1 HB User

No candy-coating here, Arvc. I'd tried tons of diets just for weight purposes, and I never stuck with any of them and felt horribly deprived. Not so with a heart-healthy diet. I'm not sure if your doctor would recommend this, but mine recommended a daily serving of red wine. As a former beer drinker, I must say this opened up a whole new world of tastes for us. The same meal can taste so different with a different wine

Get those cookbooks out! Try one "new" meal a week (my rule in my house for the last year...good rule). Make those cookies. Throw some oats in there, some fruit, some nuts (all heart-healthy). When the fall/winter comes, try out some toasty warm, harvesty breads or muffins with carrots, walnuts, squash or pumpkin.

I'm just throwing these ingredients out there based on the diet my docs recommended for my heart health. Be sure to check with your docs on what you specifically should or shouldn't eat.

If you find a particularly good recipe for a bread, muffin or cookie, make a batch for your neighbor, your co-worker, a family member who you don't see much. Spread the wealth a little bit, and help someone else's heart.

Don't give up, either. My doctor told me a serving of squash every day for good heart health. I never ate squash. Didn't like it, didn't like the smell of it, the texture, the seeds. Ick. After much perseverance, I finally figured out a way to get my daily squash...stick it in some homemade bread. Voila! If there's a will, there's a way to get that food tasting wonderful.

Even tho my weight is where I want it now, my lipids are in check now, my strange GI troubles disappeared, I would never go back to the way I used to eat. I truly "taste" food now, and I take so much pride in the meals I make to keep my family healthy, too.

You can do this!

Old 08-12-2006, 12:54 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(male)

chevyman HB User

hi,
arvc, you have read some pretty good advise here form a lot of good people, you know what you have to do, follow your Dr's advise, do what they tell you see different Dr's from time to time.
its always good to get second hand opinions, start living your life the best way you can, love your children 24-7, do things with them share in with them(as you probably do) go out have fun maybe it would be better to keep your life busy along with taking better care of yourself taking your meds eating more heart healthy,ect,,ect,, if you do that..along with keeping your faith, I bet you will lead along lasting life and see your kids grow up to be fine outstanding adults and there children as well.
Hang in there girl you know you can do it.

Old 08-12-2006, 08:16 PM   #11
(female)

arvc HB User

To all,
Thank you all so much for the time you spent to write me. You have been so much more helpful than you know. Thanks for supporting me and at the same time being straight forward. The hidden calorie thing is now in my eyes to look for. I like the cook and freeze idea!! It helps when I am hungry and can't wait to eat. Bam in the microwave and can eat in about 5 minutes. I also love the bread ideas. I had never thought about putting squash in there but I am going to try it. Thank you chevyman for being supportive, your advice is well taken. By the way I have lost 4 pounds since my last dr visit. I guess it is a start in the right direction.

Last edited by arvc; 08-12-2006 at 08:17 PM.

Old 08-13-2006, 06:34 PM   #12
(female)

chocolatefor3 HB User

Good for you!!! Keep it up!

Closed Thread