It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2006, 04:52 PM   #1
(male)

AladdinJay HB User
A few questions about "Starvation Mode"

Hi everybody!
I've heard that if you don't eat enough caleroies during the day, your body goes into "starvation mode," where it basically hangs on to anything you eat and doesn't burn it off because it's afraid that you won't get any more food in and so it wants to make it last, and in the process, actually makes it harder for you to lose weight.

I've heard that if you exercise daily that the exercise counters starvation mode and doesn't make it apply. Is that true? Also, does anybody watch Survivor? I'm just curious why starvation mode doesn't work for them, because on Survivor they eat nothing but say, rice for 40 days, and they lose around 30-40 pounds by the time they are done. If starvation mode is true, how are they losing so much? Thanks!!

Old 08-08-2006, 07:23 PM   #2
(female)

mmmcoffee HB User
Re: A few questions about "Starvation Mode"

I've wondered the same thing. I'm afraid that I'm not eating enough and that's what's happening. I've been taking lipodrene and am not hungry much of the time. It's hard to force myself to eat when I don't really feel like it. For breakfast I'll have either 1 egg w/toast or a Light N Fit low calorie yogurt. Lunch is yogurt or 1/2 a sandwich (if even that) and dinner is usually just salad. I do snack a little during the day just because I'm bored sometimes. Tonight I actually did have 1 taco, but had salad for lunch. I had a hershey bar tonight also. I know I'm supposed to eat like 1000-1200 cals a day, but it's tough counting sometimes. I have a weakness for Tostitos 'touch of lime' chips and have to stop buying them I guess. That's just way too much salt. I'd like to know about the 'starvation mode' so I don't go there and hit a stop in the weight loss. I also don't want to be hurting myself. I've been having lots of water, fruit and veggies too. I guess I need a better healthier diet and need to stick with it.

(Sorrry I didn't answer your question, but I'd like to know also.)
Thanks-mmmcoffee

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-09-2006, 03:07 AM   #3
(female)

zetoula HB User
Smile Re: A few questions about "Starvation Mode"

Hey!

Yes it's true, the "starvation mode" exists in a way...It happens when you are on a very low calorie diet and it slows down the weight loss but doesn't stop the weight from dropping.

In this mode, which is thought to have evolved as a defence mechanism against starvation, the body becomes super efficient at making the most of the calories it does get from food and drink. The main way it does this is by protecting its fat stores and instead use muscle to provide the body with some of the calories it needs to keep functioning. This ofcourse leads to a loss of muscle, which in turn lowers the metabolic rate so that the body needs fewer calories to keep ticking over and weight loss slows down.

The way to beat this is firstly to be on a diet with sufficient calories to burn fat and not muscles and to increase the amount of exercise you do. Aerobic training will help you burn fat and tone the muscles, while strength or resistance training will help you increase the amound of muscles in your body. So exercise will boost your metabolism and "balance" the starvation mode.

Old 08-09-2006, 07:33 AM   #4
Veteran
(male)

shucky ducky HB User

I don't know much about starvation mode because I've never been able to go longer than a few hours without eating something, but I would think starvation mode would maybe kick in during the first few days of not eating anything or very little. Eventually, I believe that mode would subside and your body would end up giving in and that's when the weight begins to drop. However, this is the absolute worse possible way to try to lose weight. Very dangerous and life-threatening. I don't care how desparate you are, you should NEVER take that route.

Old 08-09-2006, 09:09 AM   #5
(male)

sikandar_bg HB User

My two cents:

1. "Starvation mode" does exist, I know from experience. Most of the excess fat that I am trying to get rid of right now was gained via that. I am a grad student, I would get up in the morning, run to class empty-stomach, go through the day without much food (sometimes a munchkin or handful of chips), then eat the first meal of the day at aorund 4:30 or 5 after my classes ended. It would be something like instant Ramen noodles (full of MSG). Then I would eat a BIG dinner at 10 pm and go to bed by 11.

2. The people on survivor are probabyl doing irreversible damage to their bodies and I wouldn't be surprised if their weight loss is accompanied by muscle tissue loss. I would not advise you to take that route.

Last edited by sikandar_bg; 08-09-2006 at 09:09 AM.

Old 08-09-2006, 12:11 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

Quote:
I've heard that if you exercise daily that the exercise counters starvation mode and doesn't make it apply. Is that true? Also, does anybody watch Survivor? I'm just curious why starvation mode doesn't work for them, because on Survivor they eat nothing but say, rice for 40 days, and they lose around 30-40 pounds by the time they are done. If starvation mode is true, how are they losing so much? Thanks!!
No, exercise doesn;t curcumvent "starvation mode."

Yep, the contestants will continue to lose weight as they are starved. HOWEVER, once they begin to eat the amount of food that normally held their weight at a certain level, they will ZOOM to that level and overshoot it and set a new high set point...then spend the next year dieting in an attempt to get back to their pre-Survivor weight.

The danger of the starvation response is that it lowers your metabolism for a long time. Of course ANYONE can continue to lose weight if he eats concentration camp rations!

Last edited by Lenin; 08-09-2006 at 12:12 PM.

Old 08-09-2006, 03:59 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

chevyman HB User

Lenin,
ANYONE will lose weight if they eat my g/f cooking...lol

I went into starvation mode one time, and yes I got reallly sick, it also makes you go into ketosis, and your key-tone levels are very high.
so try not to ever get into the starvation mode never never, thats a no no.

Old 08-10-2006, 07:01 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

Yep chevvy,

Nothing as good for weight-loss as a chef who can mess up a hard boiled egg or boil a piece of Filet Mignon!

Old 08-10-2006, 07:27 AM   #9
Veteran

bluejbirdie HB User

There is really 2 things when it comes to starvation mode.

The first is more of a starvation response...Whenever you eat less then you are burning( it doesnt matter how much) The Metabolism will slow down a bit to try and conserve energy...it becomes more efficient. Think of it like a Car that runs on 8 cylinders that when it has less Gas available it only uses 4 cylinders to conserver it. The Car still Uses lots of gas but it it will be less.
the Body works the same way.
This "Starvtion response" will never lower your metabolism to the point that you wont lose fat. Lets say you burn 2500 calories a day and you eat 2000. that would mean you burned an excess of 500 calories. Then lets say you ate 1500 Calories instead of you body burning 2500 calories it burns 2300 because it has lowere your metabolism. Insted of creatingt a 1000 calorie deficit as you would have expected it is only 800. You are still going to lose weight. Most Experts in Metabolism say that your metabolism will not lower itself by more then 10% due to this.

Then there is True Starvation Mode. This is when your calories have been lowered so much that your glycogen stays depleted basically all the time. Certain Functions(Brain) can only get energy from Glucose, if there is no glycogen available it will break down your muscle. Thus you will be losing Fat and Muscle. (This actually happens in the induction phase of atkins)
Also when you have lowered your calories by this much you will usually be lacking in essential nutrients. Through out the day your Muscles are consistantly being damaged and rebuilding....everytime you use a muscle there is some damage...but it always repairs itself..this is how muscles grow. Without enough calories or nutrients your muscle will have trouble rebuilding and you will end up losing muscle.

Thus if you stay in Starvation mode long enough you will lose enough muscle that your metabolism will slow down more the the 10% that it would normally slow down by.

It is generally accepting that Starvation mode does not take effect until you have been eating less then 1000 calories a day for a period of time. It does not happen overnight.

We are OverFat...Not OverWeight!

Closed Thread