It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2006, 10:05 PM   #1
(female)

zezee HB User
I can't control weight and am thinking about pills. Any ideas?

I am 51 y.o. female, 5'9"...I've been about 150 for years, however, I have been slowly climbing to, now, 170 and don't like it at all. I don't smoke/no drugs, eat very healthy. I went to doctor but he couldn't explain. I don't have menopause problems/symptoms. Have gained weight but clothes are only just now feeling too tight. I walk 1-3 miles 5 days a week, drink lot's of water, mostly good protein/complex carbs diets, cook all food, sleep well, happy, etc. I am starting to feel desperate, out of control and looking for "chemical/pill" to kick-start some weightloss. Any suggestions, please. I DO NOT/WILL NO work out. I know myself well. I walk in the a.m. and that's about it so I can't use any usggestions that include any type of excercise program. thanks, in advance.

Old 08-09-2006, 07:06 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

chevyman HB User
Re: I can't control weight and am thinking about pills. Any ideas?

it's strange that your Dr could not ''explain''? if you told him/her what you just posted?
sounds like your in a depression?
sometimes we can feel good about other things by not smoking, eat healthy be happy, exercise, ect,,ect, and not know that that old Mr Depression is sneeking up on us ..that happens sometimes without warnning.
don't waist your hard earn $$on those otc pilss, if you can't control how much you eat altho you say your eating healthy just that you probably eat to much of it.
go to a weight loss clinic , get those prescription pills they work better than the otc pills. or go see a Dr and get tested for depression, don't be ashame, its the leading cause for weight gain.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-09-2006, 07:18 AM   #3
(female)

greaver5 HB User

I took phentermin for months. I'd take it around 3 or 4 p.m. when I was about to leave work, so I wouldn't go home and eat too much. It DID curb my appetite; however, after months of taking it I noticed near the end of the day I felt very depressed. It was even to the point that I was crying and didn't know why. When I realized it was the pills, I stopped, and my evening depression stopped. -- I haven't taken any pills for nearly a year now, BUT I've gained weight. I actually came to the site today to see what others are saying about different pills.

Old 08-14-2006, 10:51 AM   #4
(female)

renatusbee HB User

I tried to lose weight for 7 months after my daughter was born without success. I expresed my concerns to my ob/gyn at a routine checkup. I explained to him that I was becoming depressed over my size(I was 5'3 and 151 lbs) and that I had tried all the OTC pills and programs without luck. Now let me tell you! I have the BEST doc in the world! He is always honest with me and I trust him 150%! He told me that the OTC pills are all a waste of time and $. If I really wanted to try something that WOULD work, he could write me a script for Adipex/ Phentermine. Of course he took the necessary precautions before doing so. He sent me for blood work to check my glucose levals, and my thyroid. He checked my heart to be sure it was healthy. And I started to take the pillls. I take one pill (37.5 mg) each a.m. around 8 with a pint of H2O. It honestly makes me want to eat NOTHING at all. Thats how good it works(and I love to eat). But my docs advice to be sucessful and maintain health while taking the pills was to eat small portion meals 6 x's a day. I have gotten on a system for eating that has worked well for me. I eat under 150 calories for breakfast(a packet of oatmeal or cereal bar), under 150 cal midday snack(a granola bar or rice cakes), under 250 calorie lunch(slimfast shake or lean cuisine meal) and under 150 calorie afternoon snack(cottage cheese or cereal). Then I eat a dinner with my family that is under 600 calories. I make the same food I've always made, I just eat a lot less, because I feel full so fast.I usually end up taking in 1100 to 1300 calories a day. I can never seem to get that 6th meal in. But I have never felt like I was hungry. It really works. I don't have an excersise program. My starting weight was 151lbs and I weigh 140 lbs a month later. It works, I feel great, and my doc just filled my script for another month. I would recomend to anyone with a reasonable weight loss goal and who is in good health to try it!

Old 08-14-2006, 11:06 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

cookiepls HB User

I feel your pain zezee. You might not be feeling any perimenipausal or menopausal symptoms, but the sad fact is, the hormones that once kept our metabolism running at it's peak, are declining as we age. The calories you consumed in your 20's and 30's may be too much for you now. We generally start to pack on weight from the age of 40 or so. The only way to get rid of it is to either reduce your calories (20% or so). Or exercise. Since you don't want to exercise, maybe you could just increase the distance you walk, or increase the speed of your walks. I'm going through the same thing after having been skinny my whole life. It sux!

Old 08-14-2006, 01:55 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

chevyman HB User

if you don't want to exercise (workout) but you do walk, maybe you should invest in a treadmill, thats what I did, I treaded the pills for a treadmill.
as we age it just gets harder to keep that weight down so I think your just normal.
the thing about the treadmill is you can use it come rain or shine and it will sure help you burn calories I walk everday for 4 to 5 miles.burning over 400 calories.

Old 01-08-2007, 01:14 PM   #7
(female)

zezee HB User

Thanks for all the comments. I like what "renatusbee" had to say and will try to eat smallER, healthy portions and will continue my 2 mile walk, NO diet pills. Regarding the other comments. No, I don't believe I'm depressed and I know myself quite well. I did tell my Doctor all this info and he, as with most people, say it's just part of the age and hormone change. I am not going to starve myself nor join the gym. I hope to age gracefully and accept more weight than I would like if that's how it goes. My sweetheart is not complaining and that is very important. thank you all.

Old 01-08-2007, 11:13 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

tUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB User

Try to eat healthy but don't deprive yourself.. eat things in moderation. I have tried eating low carb or other diets and they didn't last for me. The only thing that works for me with "dieting" is to eat a lot of fruit.. I'll have some for lunch instead of something else and it fills me up and I enjoy it.

You can look into green tea.. there are green tea pills and the actual drink. There's even green tea gum!

I made another post about one pill I tried that worked for me (just bought it again and am starting it soon!). The 10 Day Hoodia Diet. It made me feel full after eating less so I didn't overeat. I drank tons of water with it so I'm sure that helped with the fullness too. The pills also have green tea in them. Besides this one, I don't know what else works. My boyfriend used to use Hydroxycut and lost 70 pounds but that was mainly from weight lifting and eating very healthy.

Old 01-22-2007, 07:36 PM   #9
(female)

zezee HB User

yes, breathing......I'ld be interested. thanks.

Old 01-23-2007, 06:37 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

twiceblessed HB User
Question Re: I can't control weight and am thinking about pills. Any ideas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by koyla86 View Post
Tips : Breathe into lungs not into stomach. Do not hurry. Do it slowly. Rest whenever needed (in any pranayam).Can be done in sitting position, standing or lying in bed(if bed-bound).Keep tissues handy, as a lot of mucous from lungs will be coming through the nose.
Keep a note of side benefits you feel in mind and body.
This is interesting because everything that I have read about breathing and weightloss in the past says that we DON'T take deep breaths into our stomachs enough. I had never heard the reverse is true until now.

Old 01-28-2007, 06:40 AM   #11
(female)

spckc7 HB User

Personally, I have tried diet pills...they are mostly just a waste of money. I had ABSOLUTLY NO WEIGHT LOSS, I spent a lot of money on them, and I got some very awful side affects from them. I don't suggest them, but if that's what you want to try, it's your body. You might want to talk to a nutritionist. I thought I was eating healthy, but I found out some veggies (ie- peas, corn, carrots, and some others) weren't all that good for you. Also some fruits (tropical mostly) aren't that good as well. These both are high in sugars. My nutritionist also has me drinking at least a gallon of water a day and a pound of veggies a day (green beans work the best for me!). I hope whatever you choose to do, works out for you! Best of luck!

Closed Thread