It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2006, 08:51 AM   #1
(female)

tpagm HB User
Diet Soda

I have dropped ten pounds from calorie counting over the last 2 1/2- 3 months. I take in about 1200-1500 calories a day and exercise very regularly (cardio and weight train). The question I have is it ok to drink Diet Soda. It has no calories and I will have a mini can 8floz about once a day or every other day. I drink water all day long as well. I just need something else to drink other then water sometimes.

I know people say don't drink soda if you are wanting to lose weight but how about my diet soda consumption?

Please let me know
Thanks in advance

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-09-2006, 09:51 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

tattoogirl HB User
Re: Diet Soda

Well moderation is key. The thing with diet soda is...it makes many people hungry due to the fact it still signals the brain that sugar is coming. And if it isn't caffeine free that can also stimulate hunger. If you have any blood sugar issues I would advise staying away completely, if not enjoy in moderation.
Bella

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-09-2006, 10:35 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

chevyman HB User

hi,
I think you will be ok just drinking one a day, as long as your drinking plenty of good old water...you should be good to go.
I drink maybe 2 cans 12oz diet cokes a day and they never affected my weight loss!, but I notice some times I have dry mounth in the morinings when a wake up....probabley from the ''sodium''

Old 08-09-2006, 01:40 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

Tpagm,

Congratulations on the weight loss and the sticking with your calorie goal...keep it up.

A can or two of diet soda is just fine for thirst quenching with something flavorful and calorie free...enjoy it.

There's no reasonable evidence that a few cans a day of diet soda every day are harmful and aspartame has been approved by virtually every health agency on the planet. And by now people have probably tried at least a trillion doses...probably more. That's a LOT of testing.

Without Diet Sodas, losing weight would be a LOT harder than it is now, and it's STILL no walk in the park...but at least we can enjoy a chilled tasty beverage with our meals.

Last edited by Lenin; 08-09-2006 at 01:42 PM.

Old 08-09-2006, 03:13 PM   #5
(female)

tpagm HB User

thanks so much for your responses.

Old 08-10-2006, 05:53 AM   #6
(female)

Texanne HB User

Talk to Lifetime members of Weight Watchers and see how many people lost tons of weight drinking many diet sodas a day.

Read the ingredient list and the nutrition labels! Every diet soda I know of is Very Low Sodium. Probably less than a few bites of canned vegetables. Most regular sodas don't have that much sodium either. In fact the word "soda" is a misnomer now, because they don't use soda water to make them anymore. Diet sodas are not health food, but they are a wonderful tool to use when trying to cut calories and sugar (and sodium).

Old 08-10-2006, 08:07 AM   #7
Veteran

bluejbirdie HB User

Yup....Diet soda will not affect your weight at all.

Some people think that aspartame can cause cravings or make you hungry. this is just speculation and there is not any proven evidence of this. that being said if you are concerned just watch you food intake and see if you seem to be more hungry.

with My personal experience I have found then when I am doing well I wioll drink very little diet soda..and when I am not eating as well I will drink more.

I dont believe that it is the Diet soda that is making me crave the bad foods and making me eat more..I actually think it is the other way around. I believe that it is the eating of junk food that makes me crave the soda more.

There has been at least one study that found that people that drank Diet soda rather then regular actuall gained more weight the the ones on regular. it is this study that has produced all the theories about why this was the case. It was also a perfect study for all the people who think Aspartame is poison to use to continually Knock it.

From what I have read there has only been this one study and the reasons behind the findings have only been speculations. One of the Most likely reasons that has been speculated is that many people when the drink Diet soda will eat more of other things since they figure they are saving on calories fromt the soda then they can afford to have more of other things.

Bottom line is that if you are having 1500 calories a day with diet soda or 1500 calories without your weight loss will be identical.

We are OverFat...Not OverWeight!

Closed Thread