It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-10-2006, 05:22 PM   #1
(male)

chopsky HB User
Exclamation Stop With The Diet Pills And Supplements And Get To Work!

Wow, this forum kind of upsets me. All the posts I see from various individuals trying to shed their unwanted fat through diet pills and supplements. I think its time people realised that these products arent going to give them the bodies they've always dreamt of, nor will they get decent results without a good cardiovascular and weight training routine.
Theres 3 simple rules that need to be followed to lose weight:
1) Eat Less
2) Do Cardio
3) Weight Train
That's it.
There are no magic pills. If you want to lose weight and be healthy, you just need to have some discipline, be serious about it and do the afforementioned.

I know plenty of bodybuilders who use Hot-Rox, Lipo-6 etc, but they're not using them on their own to try shed 20-100lb. They're using them in conjunction with a REAL exercise routine. As for the other weird brands and products im reading throughout these threads, stay clear of them or be very weary before trying them. Chances are, unless they're being used READILLY in the bodybuilding world, they're a complete waste. Though personally, I believe all these fat-loss pills are a waste. Especially for the average joe.

Ive seen plenty of overly-obese people lose all their unwanted weight by strictly adhering to a solid routine.
Forget the pills and GET TO WORK!

Old 08-10-2006, 05:37 PM   #2
(female)

tpagm HB User
Re: Stop With The Diet Pills And Supplements And Get To Work!

I agree with everything you just posted. This board has turned into nothing but questions about fad diet pills.

I too years ago took diet pills and I did not get the results I have gotten recently.

I have hit the gym and started to count every single calorie taken in. I have been 100% dedicated. I have lost 12 lbs and counting in a little over 2 months. I am 5'3 and now weigh 132. My goal was 134 and my highest weight was 144. I have now changed my goal to 129. I have stayed determined and so proud of my results and will keep on going. This is a life change for me not a fad diet/pill.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-10-2006, 07:12 PM   #3
(female)

jezabel HB User

I agree to a point. There is no magic pill. However I am on a medication that caused me to put on 70lbs in 5 months. I can eat perfect and exercise 6 days a week and all that does is stop me from gaining anymore weight. With the aid of some supplements I am finally seeing some results. We all need a little help now and then and I don't think you can say that everyone wanting to try these pills is not willing or isn't doing the work

Old 08-10-2006, 07:23 PM   #4
(female)

nicollew HB User

Actually, many of us have been weight lifting, running, doing cardio and mixing it up (running, recumbent cycle, arc trainer, step mill and various routines with the ellipical and every other machine).. 1.5 hours or more a day..We watch what we eat (whole grains, fruit, veggies and protein) but we still gain weight?

I gave up pop and GAINED 5 pounds! Ever since ephedra came off the market I've been exercising more and gaining more and more.

Chopsky, are you a man? If so, exercise works more for men or women that are built like men than it does for women who are built like women (generally pear shaped).

Everyone is different but some of us need a boost to help us with the last 10#.

Everyone at the gym knows me. I'm there 5 to 6X a week for 1.5 hours of total work. My heart rate stays between 145 to 155 sometimes higher.. I am 36 years old. I lift more in class than the guys, I have more energy, I run on the treadmill and do some cardio almost every day.

I have to walk to and from the train about 1/2 hour every day.

I have to get up at 4am and I don't get home from the train until 5:30pm then off to the gym.

Some people just don't understand that sometimes you need a boost or help with your metabolism, particularly women in their 30s and beyond..

So not all of us are couch potatoes eating bon bons all day looking for an easy way out. I've been a fitness and nutrition freak since the 80s and everyone knows me at every gym I've ever been to because I can outrun and outlift them.. hmmm..

But some of us do also notice that since ephedra was taken off the market we put on pounds regardless. And I'm not the only one. My friend is a fitness instructor, a coach, works out almost every day and eats very healthy like I do and she is 6 years younger than I am. She too, notices the difference since she stopped taking hydroxycut.

so, obesity kills more people than ephedra does and there are plenty of women who eat right and train daily who still have some fat to lose.

When I smoked it was effortless.. since I stopped, about 9 years ago, it has been a constant battle to fit into a pair of pants.

Old 08-11-2006, 05:28 AM   #5
(female)

mmmcoffee HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopsky
Wow, this forum kind of upsets me. All the posts I see from various individuals trying to shed their unwanted fat through diet pills and supplements. I think its time people realised that these products arent going to give them the bodies they've always dreamt of, nor will they get decent results without a good cardiovascular and weight training routine.
Theres 3 simple rules that need to be followed to lose weight
Forget the pills and GET TO WORK!

Ok..now my two cents. I don't appreciate the "forget the pills and get to work". We are sharing experiences with the effects for energy and appetite with lipodrene. It may not work for you, but it helps some of us. I'm looking at the last 10 lbs or so (after already losing 30) and sometimes you need a boost.

Have you ever had or been diagnosed with PCOS? Do you have 5 free hours a week to spend at the gym? Or weight training? Or even have 5 free hours to yourself in a week? Well, I WISH I did. There is no such thing as free time without a child attached to my body. Free time? what's that?

"get to work' for me means laundry, housework, 2 children and driving a bus when I'm not doing that (a REAL bus, not just my yukon) so do not tell me to get to work (as in off my lazy butt) because I am anything but lazy. I walk when I can and do what I can. The supplement just stops the hunger pangs so I can go about my day without eating constantly.

For those of you who understand and can relate--good luck with things. Keep us posted despite those who don't want to hear it. If you don't want to hear it, read the subject lines of posts...if it doesn't interest you, skip it!

mmmcoffee

Old 08-11-2006, 05:34 AM   #6
(female)

mmmcoffee HB User

Chhopsky--

There's more to life than bodybuilding.

Old 08-11-2006, 05:52 AM   #7
(female)

seo HB User

I've gotta chime in here too. Yes, I take the pills and yes, they've helped me over a couple of plateaus, but for the past 6 months, I've been walking a 12 minute mile (6 of them a day, but who's counting???) and lifting weights. On top of a few exercise videos and an easy shaper. I really resent you saying "get to work" because that's all I've been doing for months. The pills may or may not work for everyone, but they've sure helped me go from a size 18 to a size 4/6- with the help of a good diet and plenty of exercise. Please don't criticize what we're doing as we're all exercising our butts off- litereally!

Old 08-11-2006, 06:29 AM   #8
Veteran
(female)

rubato HB User

I don't think he meant that everyone taking them should stop. It's just hard to see that out of 10 threads, 7 or 8 of them are about pills. I have tried everything to lose weight myself, and what finally worked was a lot of exercise mixed with a 1500 calorie diet of nothing but healthy food. The diet made the biggest change. I don't exercise to lose weight, but to be healthy and good to my body. I have 15 more to go which will be the hardest, but, I personally, won't take pills. I understand that they help some people. But, not everyone who is taking them needs them. A lot of people just want a quick answer without working hard. Just my 2 cents worth!

Old 08-11-2006, 06:35 AM   #9
Veteran
(male)

shucky ducky HB User

The main reason I tend to stay away from pills is because most of the over-the-counter stuff has not been extensively tested so you have no idea what sort of damage these ingredients can cause to your body 5 years from now. Yeah, these pills may be a 'quick fix' (or claim to be), but at what costs?

Old 08-11-2006, 06:45 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

AMEN Chopsky. You took the words right out of my heart (purposefully mangling that metaphor.)

If I read one more WORD about Lipodrene, hoodia, guarana, Slim Fast, Xenical, MeltRx, Carbo-Xpel, Stimerex, Lipo-6, Trimbia, Laminaria and the 10,000 other ripoff products geared to part a dieter from his money, I will SCREAM. Please don't encourage these manufacturers with your dollars, they'll only come out with a few hundred more NEXT year.
When next tempted by an alluring ad remember the warning from the Federal Trade Commiission:
Quote:
According to the FTC, ads that make any of the following claims are almost certainly false or misleading:

Causes weight loss of two pounds or more a week for a month, or more without dieting or exercise.
Causes substantial weight loss, no matter what or how much the consumer eats.
Causes permanent weight loss (even when the consumer stops using the product).
Blocks the absorption of fat or calories to enable consumers to lose substantial weight.
Safely enables consumers to lose more than three pounds per week for more than four weeks.
Causes substantial weight loss for all users.
Causes substantial weight loss by wearing it on the body or rubbing it into the skin.
The non-prescription items sell expensive, useless HOPE in a bottle. The prescription drugs work for awhile and then you stop taking them and get fat fast!

The real prescription is easy and there is only ONE:
EAT LESS AND EXERCISE MORE!
Make this your mantra and you will never have a weight probblem again.

Last edited by Lenin; 08-11-2006 at 07:01 AM.

Old 08-11-2006, 12:44 PM   #11
(male)

chopsky HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubato
I don't think he meant that everyone taking them should stop. It's just hard to see that out of 10 threads, 7 or 8 of them are about pills. I have tried everything to lose weight myself, and what finally worked was a lot of exercise mixed with a 1500 calorie diet of nothing but healthy food. The diet made the biggest change. I don't exercise to lose weight, but to be healthy and good to my body. I have 15 more to go which will be the hardest, but, I personally, won't take pills. I understand that they help some people. But, not everyone who is taking them needs them. A lot of people just want a quick answer without working hard. Just my 2 cents worth!
Precisely.
My point wasn't that everyone should get off the pills NOW and that they are completely useless. It's that I see too many people who do not put in ANY real effort and simply rely on these pills to help them lose their weight.

When I enter a weight loss forum, I expect to see most of the threads being about losing weight through cardio etc and a thread here and there about the latest weight loss pill. Not the opposite.

I understand that there are people like mmmcoffee out there who simply do not have the time as they're completely tied down by children etc., but I'd like to think that most people are able to squeeze in an hour gym session at least 3-4 times a week. Let's not kid ourselves, a huge percentage of the population is trying to shed their weight through these diet pills and the pills alone and there is no disputing that. If youre not one of those people and you do put in the effort (good diet and gym routine), then this thread is not directed at YOU.

mmmcoffee, as for the "There's more to life than bodybuilding", if you seriously believe my post was an attempt to convince people that they should all be bodybuilding, you really missed the point. Infact, it had zero to do with bodybuilding so I have no idea what youre talking about.

Old 08-11-2006, 12:58 PM   #12
(female)

tpagm HB User

Honestly, if these diet pills really worked (saying you will lose the weight and keep it off)....then the whole world would be skinny because everyone would be on them.

I have spent so much money in the past on so many different brands of diet pills...yes I would see a few pounds come off....yes it would cause me to have a massive headache when I finally stopped taking the pill. Yes I gained the weight back after I stopped taking the pill since the pills are not a life long commitment...at least not for me (who has the money).

I have definitely decided that I need to make a life change for myself. I have stuck to a healthy calorie intake for me to drop the weight 1200-1500 calories and I get in cardio and some weight training...This is a life change for me and it has worked. I now see the all the money I spent in the past on all different kinds of pills was a waste of money. I have lost a total of 12lbs in a little over two months.

This may not be the case for all the people out there but this is what has worked for me. Weight loss should be a life change and something you can stick with for the rest of your life. For me I can't be a diet pill for the rest of my life but I can definitely be on a low calorie diet with cheat days of course here and there.

Old 08-11-2006, 01:41 PM   #13
(female)

mmmcoffee HB User

Someone said "unless they're being used in the bodybuilding world" they're basically useless.....well, I disagree. I have lost 30 lbs already.That was BEFORE the L-word. It was done by hard work, lots of miles on bikes/treadmills and a healthy diet. That began over a year ago. I do eat healthy and excercise. It is/has been a life change for me....I do not rely on quick fixes to lose weight. The 'L' (I don't want to type the whole word because some don't want to read it) has helped me get back on track. I do not intend on using it for long. When I stop, I will continue with the healthy diet and excercise. Are you familiar with PCOS? Do you know how it causes weight gain, among other things?

I guess everyone has their own opinions. And that's alright. That's why we live where we live, so you can have your own opinions. I appreciate you sharing it.

mmmcoffee

Old 08-11-2006, 02:40 PM   #14
(male)

chopsky HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmcoffee
Someone said "unless they're being used in the bodybuilding world" they're basically useless
I did not say that. I said that unless specific pills are being used within the bodybuilding world, they're probably useless. Think about it. Bodybuilders are the pinnacle of physical perfection (at least they'd like to think so. They are the experts of weight loss and minimal body fat. They need to know exactly what works and what doesnt. Its a massive industry. If those guys arent using the stuff, chances are it doesnt work. Plenty of them do use stuff like Lipo-6 and Hot Rox etc.
I think you misconstrued what I said.

Closed Thread