It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-11-2006, 06:21 AM   #1
Veteran
(male)

shucky ducky HB User
Zoloft For Weight Loss?

I know Zoloft aids in depression and for people who are trying to stop smoking but my mom told me her doctor told her he could prescribe it for weight loss. He said his niece lost a lot of weight on it because it decreases your appetite. Was anyone here aware of this? Has anyone tried it?

Old 08-11-2006, 08:38 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

auntjudyg HB User
Re: Zoloft For Weight Loss?

No, I have always heard the exact opposite. Yes, a small percentage of people do lose some weight when they start Zoloft, but in the long run they tend to gain it back plus some. The more common experience is for people to gain weight with Zoloft.

Also, I have never heard of it being prescribed for quitting smoking . . . though I have heard of another anti-depressant, Wellbutrin, being used for that purpose.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-11-2006, 10:08 AM   #3
Veteran
(male)

shucky ducky HB User

I think you're right. Wellbutrin is the anti-depressant that is also used to help people stop smoking.

Old 08-11-2006, 10:08 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

chevyman HB User

my opinion,
I think a person needs to check with there Dr, as for as getting on depreission meds and anti-suppressants/depressants.

The Dr will usally test your blood and look at your blood presure to determine whats best What you take, for weight loss /or depression/stop-smoking, ever ones different, so just because jane doe takes something don't mean its right for you.
some people can take ''phentermine'' and others can't.

I offten wonder what goes on a Dr mind when a patient ask him/her to precribe them something to help with weight loss/ you know its hard for a Dr to do that if you have had any medical complications heart/complications,ect,,ect,,
Most Dr's will tell you to start exercising walk more eat healthy ..ect,,ect,, the whole nine yards.

IN GENERAL MOST ANTI DEPRESSISION MEDS WILL CURB APITITE AND CURB THAT SMOKING ERGE.
The safe way to lose weight is just exercise and eat healthy, its hard sure and you will feel pain being hungry at times but it don't last.
if I get hungry and it's like hours before meal time, I just tell my self that it hurts but its a good hurt because I know I'm loseing weight...so I suffer!!
but for some people they can't stand to be hungry and I certainly understand.

If you smoke..stop now...if your afraid you will gain weight by not smoking you probably will, but you can always lose the weight you gain after you stop smoking,,,,if you get sick by smoking (cancer) then you can kiss this old world good bye.

Closed Thread