It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-13-2006, 11:49 AM   #1
(female)

Lejaro HB User
Water weight?!

Ever since I got off depo I've been slowly losing the horrendous 30 pounds I gained while on it, I was down to 163 from 170 just the other day, and this morning when I hopped on the scale I was back up to 171. Is it possible that this could all be water weight? Or something? Its tearing me up. I think I have mental problems but I cant help but just sit here and worry about why it shot up so much in just a few days, I havnt been eating any differently..and Ive actually been more active than I was for a long time....any advice? or answers?

Old 08-13-2006, 12:01 PM   #2
(male)

giovannip811 HB User
Re: Water weight?!

it could be water weight if you lose weight and gain it back again.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-13-2006, 06:34 PM   #3
(female)

TamWasHere HB User

BCP's, weight loss and hormones changes after BCP's are a great combination for water weight gain.

If you know you are in the phase of your monthly cycle where you bloat up it is a good idea to stay away from the scales. I am three days out from my placebo pills...BAM..I can go up 10 to 14 lbs in water weight. (I actually was weighed at my Gyn. and then weighed again 3 days later at the same office and the difference was 15 pounds!!!!) I don't even look at a scale during that week because its not accurate. When your homones are out of synch it can cause you to retain water and become bolated. Water is heavier than fat, this is why your scale shows such a drastic gain. It takes 3500 calories for a pound of fat, so you would have to eat alot of food to gain 10 pounds, just relax, it is water and hopefully it will go away in a few days.

Some things that I have found that help with the water weight gain during that time are try not to eat out or eat processed foods (high in sodium, they will make you retain). Drink plenty of water and squeeze some lemon into it.

I also NEVER cloths shop during those 5 days (things like this can be hard on your ego, and you will get depressed) and eat carefully and wait it out. I retain in my thighs and stomach so it can be really irritating!

Old 08-13-2006, 06:57 PM   #4
(female)

Lejaro HB User

Thanks a lot! You made me feel better. It all makes sense plus I have had a few of those 'pickles in a bag' this week..like 2 of them I think. They have no calories or anything but 390mg of sodium. Which is kinda OK out here in arizona in the summer, they say to take in more salt..but thats probably why I bloated up so bad. Thanks

Old 08-14-2006, 05:08 AM   #5
(female)

arvc HB User

lejaro,
Yes it could be water weight. It has happened to me. The more you're salt intake the more you tend to retain fluids. Even if you live in AZ, keep in mind that canned and processed foods are very high in salt already and some sandwich meats too. A can of chicken noodle soup(sm. can) has ( as I recall) a whole days allowance of salt in a full can before adding any salt yourself. Macaroni has 780mg of salt before you add any per 1 cup. Cream of chicken soup has 1900mg already in there for 1 full can (10oz). I think you probably get the idea. I had to learn this a long time ago. I struggle more with fat content. The daily allowance for salt is 2,400-2,500mg a day. Most people not keeping an eye on it can consume 3-6x or more than the daily allowance. Most people do not require added salt if they eat this way for any reason. And if you don't eat this way you probably still get enough unless you make everything homemade. Fast food is very high in salt too. I hope this helps you!!

Old 08-14-2006, 07:52 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

Another yep on water weight.
The way to test the theory is either to have two or three EXTREMELY low salt days (<1000 mg. soldium) or to pop a Lasix or a thiazide, both diuretics and see if you pee the weight right out.

A quart of water weighs 2 pounds!

Closed Thread