It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-14-2006, 08:06 PM   #1
(male)

AladdinJay HB User
Is exercise really necessary?

Okay, I know this sounds stupid, but hear me out!

Running a mile burns 100 calories. Before bed, I have a quick snack of crackers and cheese. It says on the label each package is 400 calories. If I stop eating those each day, I basically just ran 4 miles. On paper, it seems like eating less is more important than exercise, as exercise barely burns anything it seems like. Is my thinking right? I'm a bit new to all this. Thanks!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-14-2006, 10:48 PM   #2
(female)

TamWasHere HB User
Re: Is exercise really necessary?

You are correct you can lose weight without excercise, but at some point you will reach a crossroads. You will get to a point where you plateau, your metabolism slows because of the calorie intake, and weight loss becomes more difficult.

I have become an excercise demon. I excercise 2+ hours daily. I am building muscle mass, my metabolism is much higher, and I can eat a good meal and still be great! (I always have an eye on fat content and carbs and sugars, got to keep the heart in good shape to excercise! )

I guess the answer is excercise may not be "necessary" for weight loss, but is sure makes it alot easier!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-15-2006, 05:22 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Smartpants HB User

I agree with the above post. Awhile back I started a thread asing if intense cardio was necessary. The answer to that I believe is no. Since June 6, I've been losing 6lbs per month by watching calories and walking. I've also done some other things like badminton, baseball - fun stuff that doesnt seem like exercise. I really believe what matters most is calories in vs. calories out (I know some disagree with this) but its sure working for me. I look at it the same way as you, id much rather not eat that ice cream cone and save 400 calories, as opposed to having to do the exercise to burn that much off.

Old 08-15-2006, 06:32 AM   #4
(female)

seo HB User

I would have to agree with both posts. Yes, exercise is necessary. But, like TamWasHere, I have become addicted too! It becomes something you "need" to do daily to make yourself feel better, once you establish a routine. I can't have a great day now unless I get up and get moving. Really helps clear the mind. Plus, if you have a lot of weight to loose, exercise will help you look good all the way down! I have lost roughly 100 pounds in the past 2 years but have no saggy skin or any problems like that because I combined exercise with a good diet. I think I'd be a mess if I had done diet alone. And you'll be surprised at the other benefits as you go along. I find that my body just works better now that I've been exercising faithfully. I can do more and I feel better. To me, that's worth the time it takes to sweat it out.

Old 08-15-2006, 02:46 PM   #5
(male)

NeoOsiris HB User

The human body was meant to be active, which is why inactive people can develop certain unhealthy symptoms and what not. There is nothing wrong with exercising, you don't have you exercise to a point where you are sweating buckets and feel like your gonna throw up. Even though on paper not eating cheese and crackers will save the same amount of calories, running has many other benefits such and muscle and joint use as well as cardiovascular benefits. So from my point of view, exercise is really necessary if you want to lead an active and healthy life. You don't need extreme exercise but some sort of exercise should be done.

Old 08-15-2006, 02:47 PM   #6
Veteran
(male)

shucky ducky HB User

You will lose weight if you don't exercise. But, at a much slower pace. And being there are so many people who come to this board in search of a diet pill that's going to help them lose weight quick and fast, I doubt if a lot of people here would be satisfied at losing 1 lb per week. Exercise is not necessary but will definately accelerate your weight loss and probably cut the time you have to "diet" in half.

Closed Thread