It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-15-2006, 06:22 PM   #1
(female)

mmmcoffee HB User
pulse rate while excercising......? ? ?

Hi. Dumb question.....While on the treadmill, I hooked up the finger thing for the pulse. What should it be at? (this is a used treadmill, not sure how accurate or if it works) It would start blinking 'HIGH' at around 115 or so. The little heart was flashing and stuff. WHat is a normal pulse rate for walking briskly for a couple of miles? Any input would be helpful. Thank you

mmmcoffee

Old 08-15-2006, 11:46 PM   #2
(male)

Dave440 HB User
Re: pulse rate while excercising......? ? ?

this will vary mostly on your age and what your goals are. Heart rates vary from person to person but there is generally accepted range for certain age groups. The extremely fit and athletic typically have much lower heart rates than other ordinary people since they've been training.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-16-2006, 04:39 AM   #3

tm3912 HB User

here is a forumula, I'm going from memory so here goes

220 minus your age= max heart rate. (ex. 220-50years old= 170 max heart rate)

then if you are just starting out take max heart rate and multiply by .6 for the MIN heart rate you should have when working out. (60% of your max heart rate)
(ex. 170 multiplied by .6=102) So at 102 heart beats per min you are getting some cardio exercise. unless you are a trained athlete you should not exceed 85%-90% max heart rate. So in this example that would be the 145-150 range. (your not going to drop over dead if you exceed but you should be in very good shape to get up there for an extended period of time) So it would be best to stay in the 120-130 range for a good workout in my example. Don't start out too fast or you will hate working out. Good luck

Sorry I'm running late hope this makes sense.

Old 08-16-2006, 05:23 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

mmmmcoffee,

It depends on what you inputted into the treadmill.
If it's blinking madly at 115 BPM you have probably set it at FAT BURN instead of CARDIO. Fat Burn setting tries to keep you at a slower heartrate and is meant to go on for something approaching an hour.

Set the machine at CARDIO and it will probably allow for a much higher rate that you might look to limit to 30 minutes?

Of course your mileage may vary. As TM said, these numbers are very age dependent.

Last edited by Lenin; 08-16-2006 at 05:25 AM.

Old 08-16-2006, 06:52 AM   #5
(female)

mmmcoffee HB User

Lenin--

Yes, It's an older one I bought from a classified ad in the paper. It doesn't have a setting for cardio. It has distance, speed, calories, time, and the finger thing for pulse rate. I tried to go online and find a manual for it from the manufacturer, but to no avail. When it was at 120 and blinking furiously, I wasn't out of breath or anything and didn't know why it said "HIGH". I was only walking, not a big deal. That's why I thought, maybe it wasn't working right. Tonight, I'll maintain the higher pulse rate for a while and see how I go. Walking so much (on and off the treadmill) has changed the muscles in my legs. I didn't think it would make THAT much of a difference, but it has.

I'll keep at it and see how it goes. I have been feeling great lately, with all the excercise and eating right. Next step is quitting smoking. I know, I know, a completely horrible thing. THat's my next mountain. Thanks for your info and help.

Have a great day!

mmmcoffee

Closed Thread