It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-15-2006, 10:09 PM   #1
(male)

planbee HB User
This doesn't feel like a "diet".

I've started counting my calories and cutting down the portion of my meals, it really doesn't seem hard at all now. It was all just overwhelming in the very beginning I think. But now, my question lies. Because I know the calories I have consumed, I can still eat the "not so healthier" foods like peanut butter and a few cookies and what not here and there, all within moderation ofcourse! But whenever I DO eat anything that doesn't SEEM healthy to me, I feel a bit weird about it, I mean if I am keeping my calories at least below 2000 then I should be losing weight right. I know you guys say 1200-1400 or whatever but I'm a male teenager who is 6 foot 1 so I am burning quite a few calories just being me.
Is this right? or should I really be staying well clear from anything that isn't a healthy choice. This is just something I want to get cleared up so I don't think I'm being healthy when I'm not.

By the way I do cardio exercise everyday for atleast 30 minutes.

Thanks
planbee

Old 08-16-2006, 12:35 AM   #2
(male)

user_05 HB User
Re: This doesn't feel like a "diet".

You have to remember the fat in the "not so healthier" foods. the carbs.

I'm not the best person to sugest anything being overweight myself, but i dont think you could just eat your 2000kcals of junk food and still lose weight, i think the food has to be healthy aswell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by planbee
By the way I do cardio exercise everyday for atleast 30 minutes.
I doubt the odd cookie would make any differnace to you if you do 30mins a day, aslong as you stay below your kcals, and eat healthy the rest of the day. Most diets allow a dailey treat/sinn/nice thing so you should be ok

(p.s i think to lose weight, most diet books set it as 1500kcals, then the kcals decrease the more weight you lose?)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-16-2006, 01:53 AM   #3
(male)

planbee HB User

Mhm, yes I realise about the fat content aswell as other contents in the junkier type foods. Now my diet is healthy, don't get me wrong. I don't mean all this as I don't eat healthy and just eat 2000 calories worth of junk and call it a diet.
Also, I haven't ever gone near 2000cals since I've started counting. It's always been 1300cals etc.

Just asking if I should be feeling so guilty for having a slip up day when I consume a good portion of my calories from the "not so healthy" foods, keeping in mind I still DON'T go over at MOST 2000 calories.

I know the lower the calorie count, the more weight you lose...to an extent ofcourse! (absolute! minimum 1000cals per day)

But again, just asking if I should be feeling guilty for these "slip up days" when I still stay within or just a bit out of my calories for each day?

Thanks,
planbee

Old 08-16-2006, 04:24 AM   #4

tm3912 HB User

Planbee I don't know your history or background but I will tell you this, talk to a nutritionist.

a 6'1" young man that works out 30 minutes a day and you only take in 1300 calories most days, that is dangerous. 1300 calories doesn't come close to what you should be taking in, that's a dangerous number. As a matter of fact there is some speculation that taking in that few calories can actually make your metabolism slow down and gain more weight. (your body thinks it starving so it hangs on to fat and burns protein, or muscle, and that is bad. So in the end you have more fat than before)

Also calories are calories if you take in 2000 of junk or 2000 of "good" food all the same, the difference is the amount of food you get to eat. Let's say you eat all junk, that means you get maybe 7 candy bars a day for your 2000 calories. If you eat veggies you get a lot more, quantity wise, and it fills you up so you are not hungry. (Remember we are talking calories not nutrition)

Maybe you can elaborate on what your goal is as far as weight. Are you overweight is that why you are counting calories. I think counting calories is the best way to go personally but you are taking in far to few. (one problem with counting calories is people consistantly underestimate the number of calories they take in) Let me know your situation.

Old 08-16-2006, 05:00 AM   #5
(male)

planbee HB User

I am not overweight, currently I weigh around 170lbs, (between 75-80kg, I live in Australia, we go by kgs here, not lbs)

I know I don't need to lose weight, I have unwanted body fat that I'm really going to lose (I don't like to use the word "try"). Cutting my calories was the only way I thought I could do this. Since about age 11 or 12 I've had a bit of unwanted flubber. Since then, most probably due to growing, I've lost a fair bit of it, but now, it's almost as if I've "plateaud" (I have no idea how to spell that word! haha)

So, hmm, maybe I should eat healthier meals, more sensible choices and just up my exercising and not worry so much about strict calorie counting. I just feel as if I have been eating sensibly and exercising a decent amount and not losing any body fat. My exercise was skateboarding but now I do 30+ minutes on the treadmill everyday.

Any thoughts?

Old 08-16-2006, 05:17 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

planbee,

The 2000 calorie diet will give you the weightloss you want. The perfect foods will give you SAINTHOOD. It's hard to do both.

For the moment concentrate on one goal, too many and you achieve none. So if you want to eat what some might consider less healthy foods, go right ahead...as long as the calories conform to your goal.

I say DO NOT loosen your calorie counting; loosen instead your perception of perfect foods. Sometimes the two go together like avoiding deep fried battered foods...becasue they are both unhealthy AND have a super-abundance of calories that are very difficult to count.
IF you stray from your calorie counting, you will not lose the flab you want to get rid of.

Old 08-16-2006, 05:28 AM   #7
(male)

planbee HB User

Ah, thankyou very much Lenin for that post. I appreciate it.
I thought 2000 calories a day would still do the trick because I did the calculation to see how many calories I burn each day just doing nothing and it was around 2700, and I had read cut 500 calories from that so I thought 2000 is good.
I think all I need to do is cut down the portions of my meals and restrict some "boredom eating".
Thanks again to all posts, this site is a wonder.

Old 08-16-2006, 05:58 PM   #8

tm3912 HB User

Planbee,

Now that I have a few facts about you I would say that 2000 cal is good as long as you continue to exercise. With that said I would suggest adding weight lifting. When I first heard this from my football coach (this was a long time ago before we really knew how important weight lifting is) I said no way I didin't want to turn into a muscle bound freak. Well needless to say I was misinformed. Lifting 3 times a week will NEVER make you muscle bound.

So add in weight lifting 3 times a week. There are so many different routines that people use to build muscle and they all work as long as you stick to the program. You would probably be wise to start out using weight machines as opposed to free weights. Once you start building muscle and feel more confident then switch to free weights.

The routine I use is as follows:

1) do a few warm up sets and then attempt our "max" this is the maximum amount of weight you can lift once. Do this for each exercise. (bench, shoulders, arms, traps, etc)

2) once you have found your max then you start off with 1 set of 8 reps with 50% of max.

3) the next set you do 1 set of 6 reps with 60 % of max

4) next 1 set of 4 reps with 70% of max.

5) next 1 set of 2 reps with 80% of max

If you have to knock those percentages down a little no problems

I think you will be shocked how fast you will gain at first. I think you will love lifting and it will help take aways those "flubber" spots that you don't like.

So stick to 2000 cals, exercise at least 30 minutes (wouldn't hurt to up that some for a young man like yourself) most day alternating aerobics and anaerobics (weight lifting) on opposite days.

One lat thing, don't deprive yourself of all the "bad" foods. Give yourself a treat once in awhile, just don't over do it. Keep a log and write down what you eat to make sure you are taking inonly 2000 calories. I know it sounds tough and that it will take a lot of time but once you get into it you won't even notice it.

Old 08-18-2006, 08:53 AM   #9
(female)

arvc HB User

Planbee,
Consuming 1300 calories a day is not good for a young boy/ man, at 170lbs for 6'1" that really is not over weight. I believe if you do 30 mins. a day of any exercise 2000 calories is good(as everyone else said). I do struggle with weight and heart issues; my cardiologist suggests counting calories. He says a calorie is a calorie whether from fat or from healthy choices. Grant you the healthier you eat the better your fat content and you can eat more. Healthier foods are much better over all for you( by all means) because junk foods don't contain vitamins, minerals and nutrients that growing guys need. Healthier foods tend to stay with you and make you feel less hungry longer. A bowl of cereal will leave you feeling hungrier than if you had an egg and 2 pieces of turkey bacon and a glass of low fat milk. A candy bar will leave you hungrier quicker than peanut butter(lightly spread) on graham crackers. If you have days you over eat just carry on the next day with counting calories. I need to take my own drs advice better! I hope this helps you!

Closed Thread